**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
Struggling to do anything. Chores, hobbies, reading or anything that requires focus? Nah not happening. Just wanna give up tbh.
Not that I can even pretend to understand your perspective, but getting outside for long walks and spending time enjoying nature has provided a massive boost to my mental wellbeing. Do you have local woodland, lakes or anything?

Simple stuff like feeding the ducks and the Corvids gives me so much enjoyment now. I was sinking into a rut being stuck at home before. :D

All the best bud :)

Caporegime
nature is indeed a good way to relax your mind.
I enjoy watching how social the ducks and geese of the local park are and how they interact with each other.

I can recognise a few of the characters almost instantly,one of the geese seems to give me a hello honk any time he sees me coming then leaves his sentinel duty like he expects me to be taking over as the new alpha of the group

Capodecina
Soldato
Struggling big time again. Came off my venlafaxine (225mg) cold turkey and had few problems with that but now I'm back to being unable to get refreshing sleep, tired all day, constant bouts of tearing up but not actually crying (almost like I can't?), physical health problems that are likely exacerbated by poor mental health and I'm just at my wits end I guess?

Been off work for 5 months now but not sure when I might get back as everytime I make some progress I go back several steps. Sick pay runs out soon so yay SSP and nowt else. Glad I've basically no bills.

Struggling to do anything. Chores, hobbies, reading or anything that requires focus? Nah not happening. Just wanna give up tbh.

At the risk of not understanding your situation at all and like @g67575 said, the simple things can often make massive differences. Sleep is one, food is another. I find that I can be down and feel dreadful, and then I have a decent meal and the world is OK again. Mental health is more tied to physical than we realise [or remember] a lot of the time. Of course that is not going to go any way to fixing your issues, but it will help.

My own situation has got somewhat interesting. I had an assessment with the local mental health authority a few days ago because of anxiety and depression, and they've decided to refer me to a psychiatrist. Also they will be giving me step 3 CBT because I'm a "complex case", whatever that means. I'm looking forward to it, if I'm honest. It's so good to be able to get some help for things that I've been struggling with for so long, and to not suffer in silence.

Soldato
I enjoy watching how social the ducks and geese of the local park are and how they interact with each other.

I can recognise a few of the characters almost instantly,one of the geese seems to give me a hello honk any time he sees me coming then leaves his sentinel duty like he expects me to be taking over as the new alpha of the group
I seem to have befriended one particular Crow in my local woods. I whistle a couple of times and if he's about he comes swooping down to me (I assume it's a he by how bold it is and the fact it's pretty large). It's awesome - like anyone else, the way to their heart is through their belly. :D

I really look forward to my mid-point break in my walks now :)

Soldato
My only other advice perhaps is to accept that there are some things in your life (and the wider world) that are likely beyond your control - Basically worrying less about things/problems you can't control will hopefully help you to feel calmer.

Pop psychology lol :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a mega meltdown in my mid 20s (Yorkshire then) ended up on beta blockers and anafranil (nasty side effects) what I found is that time on my hands was my greatest enemy when I was long term unemployed, in my case working helped massively as did meeting my then partner and just filling time rather than dwelling on how I felt all the time, to this day I tend to keep moving, walks, exercise, distractions

Soldato
I have found Sertraline to be a great help, started on a low dose and that improve sleep and mood, this wore off after a few months.
Upped the dosage since and it seems to be a good level. Everything in life has toned down a few notches and seems more manageable.

Soldato
I have found Sertraline to be a great help, started on a low dose and that improve sleep and mood, this wore off after a few months.
Upped the dosage since and it seems to be a good level. Everything in life has toned down a few notches and seems more manageable.
Was talking to my daughter who's an NHS scientist (unnecessarily info) virtually all her friends are taking this, seems to make mole hills out of mountains if you get my drift

Soldato
Was talking to my daughter who's an NHS scientist (unnecessarily info) virtually all her friends are taking this, seems to make mole hills out of mountains if you get my drift

This rings true, I take it for anxiety. I have had a rough time at work and was finding that small things would set me off and I would end up dealing with this stress in unproductive ways.
Since taking it I can sleep well and I can focus on my coursework and other productive and enjoyable things in my life, which in turn helps even more.
It's essentially a crutch that can help me retrain my thinking whilst I get through some stuff, and soon I will be able to come off of it. I will admit having a good doctor to talk to helps as well.

Soldato
@Psymonkee Sleep is something that I think is key to mental wellbeing. One thing that works for me (e.g. if my sleep pattern becomes 'abnormal') is to try to skip a nights sleep, and the following day stay awake until late evening, so that you feel completely exhausted and want nothing more than to sleep.

If you head is full of thoughts, sometimes going for a walk for about an hour either alone, or with someone you get on well with can help to relax and clear your mind. Perhaps a longer walk if you feel like as though you have an excess of energy.

If your mood improves at all, you could try setting small goals for each day, maybe reading a novel for a couple of hours etc, but I would probably just focus on things you enjoy doing. Don't know if this helps, but good luck.

If I could walk for more than a minute right now I'd be happy but that's a whole other issue! I do have a massive surplus of energy today although sadly appearing as anger...

Not that I can even pretend to understand your perspective, but getting outside for long walks and spending time enjoying nature has provided a massive boost to my mental wellbeing. Do you have local woodland, lakes or anything?

Simple stuff like feeding the ducks and the Corvids gives me so much enjoyment now. I was sinking into a rut being stuck at home before. :D

All the best bud :)

Cheers. I've had a rough time physically recently which could probably warrant a thread all of its own given how... important ... the condition is.

The closest local nature I've got is my back garden with the cat which will have to do for now.

HJONK! Sounds like you've made some friends there!

Have to agree, I find going for walks is of great benefit. Exercise also, but this can tie in with the walks as well.

As previously mentioned that's a bit of a problem right now... watch this space though as apparently I'm full of anger now?!

At the risk of not understanding your situation at all and like @g67575 said, the simple things can often make massive differences. Sleep is one, food is another. I find that I can be down and feel dreadful, and then I have a decent meal and the world is OK again. Mental health is more tied to physical than we realise [or remember] a lot of the time. Of course that is not going to go any way to fixing your issues, but it will help.

My own situation has got somewhat interesting. I had an assessment with the local mental health authority a few days ago because of anxiety and depression, and they've decided to refer me to a psychiatrist. Also they will be giving me step 3 CBT because I'm a "complex case", whatever that means. I'm looking forward to it, if I'm honest. It's so good to be able to get some help for things that I've been struggling with for so long, and to not suffer in silence.

Sleep is definitely something I'm working on but I did just get a new bed so probably still adjusting to that too.

Cheers all for giving me some ideas though :)

Soldato
Cheers. I've had a rough time physically recently which could probably warrant a thread all of its own given how... important ... the condition is.

The closest local nature I've got is my back garden with the cat which will have to do for now.
Sorry to hear that mate. Could always get a bird feeder if you want some entertainment in the garden :)

Best of luck dealing with the situation dude. It's always worth venting on here if you need to.

Soldato
I feel like my mental health is so much better than what it was but I still have the odd occasion where things get to me. It could just be something that's stressing me or something I see/read triggers certain feelings :/

I seem to be having one of those down days and all I can do is just carry on with things, distract myself but I wish I could find solutions to some of the stuff :(

Last edited:
Soldato

Agreed. Better than Amitripyline.

Psymonkee - you've had some good suggestions but just remember, not everything is good for everyone. Walking and cycling is best for me - just fresh air. But I am on Carbamazepine too to deal with more severe episodes of bipolar similarities which has helped.

It's a great thread for people to discuss and share, and essentially have each other's backs. I don't come on here enough but if you need help get to the GP. :)

Soldato
Psymonkee - you've had some good suggestions but just remember, not everything is good for everyone. Walking and cycling is best for me - just fresh air. But I am on Carbamazepine too to deal with more severe episodes of bipolar similarities which has helped.

Right now I just need some breakable objects no one really cares about :D

I may have flipped out and attacked someone (online, don't worry no actual fists thrown) and honestly thinking I may have been in the wrong due to MH difficulties over the past few days. Time to eat crow (which will be topical...) and beg for forgiveness I guess :(

Associate
Thinking of changing my antidepressants.
Having ADHD and Depression is a horrible combination.

My ADHD medication feels useless and I’m waiting to change that.

Same time I’m thinking If it’s my anti depressants that are ineffective and therefore my lack of focus and also just getting things done is not helped and making me feel like my ADHD is not being exacerbated.

Before I even knew I had adhd I tried setraline think highest I was on was 150mg a few years back. Ended up just quitting cold Turkey as didnt think it was helping much.
Now on Fluxoetine and was on 20 for several months then increased to 40 few months back.
Can’t say I feel any different.

Gonna book an appointment see what we can try next.

Hate this cycle thought this year I was gonna be in a better situation by Summer but honestly this year is mirroring this time last year.

Defo recommend nature though! Im not consistent but few times I’ve gone out with the intention of catching the sunset at local water parks nice just hearing the water and watching the views.
Quite relaxing.

Soldato
I think alcohol is no good for me, had a massive mood collapse (wouldn't it be good not to ever wake up Level) on Sunday (edit Monday it was a Bank holl) , but a very active weekend walking and surfing, overdid the wine.
But then ithe mood builds back up during the week, maybe it's more the social interaction at work as I live alone, don't know.
My only sleep issue is oversleep can quite happily crash at 8.15 pm but to be fair I naturally wake at 5.15am

Back
Top Bottom