**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
I had my ADHD assessment a couple of weeks ago, it turns out I do have ADHD.
Honestly, the news didn't really affect me much, I felt like I already knew and it doesn't really change anything, if I could have been diagnosed and started on medication sooner in life who knows where I could be now but I'm just looking forward to starting meds and improving things in ways that don't need a DeLorean! Any changes no matter how small will be better than the last 12-18 months! So here's to a life of stimulants haha!

What was the timeline from asking for an assessment to actually getting diagnosed? Public or private? Mostly curious because I'm suspected of being somewhere on the spectrum.

Soldato
What was the timeline from asking for an assessment to actually getting diagnosed? Public or private? Mostly curious because I'm suspected of being somewhere on the spectrum.
I went with Psychiatry-UK via a referral from my GP and right-to-choose legislation.

I was referred on March 17th.
Had my Assessment on May 3rd.
I now have a 12 week (well technically 10 now) wait until I can do my medication titration to get my dose right. It seems I'm starting on Elvanse.

Soldato
I'm also waiting for my titration after an ADHD diagnosis from P-UK. The estimated time was 7-9 weeks on April 1st and now it's 11-12 - basically they're very much in demand right now. I'd love the stimulant medication but don't know if they'll give it to me.

I'm 33 so at first I thought "ah, this makes a lot of sense! It explains so much of my behaviour in the past!" But honestly it's spun me out. It's a lot to process. I'm trying to pick apart what is ADHD I can manage, what is ADHD I should accept, and what is bad habits I need to improve on. I was struggling a lot at work this last year and the diagnosis, while I'm sure it will help in the long term, for now means I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Associate

Mines been constantly rejected since 2018, but when I did finally get accepted, I rung them right away and had a yell about my ongoing claims investigation, and to get considered as my application having been made over a year ago when they had first gotten and rejected it.

I got my questionnaires for ASD and ADHD very quickly, and after posting them recently called again and they told me in general I would have an appointment 1-2 months after they get them back.

The diagnosis itself isn't important, the treatment / therapy / access to employment support is.

Soldato
There is that possibility but additionally I seem to have symptoms that would point to both being potentially present.

I've had a look at Psychiatry-UK but unfortunately it doesn't apply in Scotland :(

As for the rest of my mental health? Still a constant struggle. Emotions pouring out of me at random times and at others feeling nothing. Got a work welfare meeting soon as well and stepping down to SSP is gonna suck but I don't feel as though I'm in much of a state to get back to work mentally let alone physically. Funny story? My physical problems (which I'll share in a different thread when I can) are also causing me mental difficulties! :/

Soldato
There is that possibility but additionally I seem to have symptoms that would point to both being potentially present.

I've had a look at Psychiatry-UK but unfortunately it doesn't apply in Scotland :(

As for the rest of my mental health? Still a constant struggle. Emotions pouring out of me at random times and at others feeling nothing. Got a work welfare meeting soon as well and stepping down to SSP is gonna suck but I don't feel as though I'm in much of a state to get back to work mentally let alone physically. Funny story? My physical problems (which I'll share in a different thread when I can) are also causing me mental difficulties! :/
There is often a crossover between the two yes.

You should be able to access an assessment for either ADHD or ASC through your local CMHT and go the NHS route.

We tend to shy away from private diagnosis as we've often found that private companies are more inclined to give positive diagnosis with only minimal observations/assessment.

Associate
Perhaps you're confusing ADHD with ASC (Autism Spectrum Condition).

While this is true, it is still a misconception.

ASD and ADHD are assessed together by the same department, and they are simply referred to as ASD services for both, even though they also test for ADHD.

So to get tested for ADHD, you still go to an ASD clinic.

Everyone within the NHS from GPs to normal mental health services also try to do everything they can to prevent these diagnostics, in general without a childhood diagnosis, it is extremely difficult to get seen for proper ASD and ADHD testing. It is automatically assumed by the NHS that if you even got good enough grades to simply get into any university, then you cant have Autism or ADHD, regardless of any current up to date diagnostic criteria.

Soldato
While this is true, it is still a misconception.

ASD and ADHD are assessed together by the same department, and they are simply referred to as ASD services for both, even though they also test for ADHD.

So to get tested for ADHD, you still go to an ASD clinic.

Everyone within the NHS from GPs to normal mental health services also try to do everything they can to prevent these diagnostics, in general without a childhood diagnosis, it is extremely difficult to get seen for proper ASD and ADHD testing. It is automatically assumed by the NHS that if you even got good enough grades to simply get into any university, then you cant have Autism or ADHD, regardless of any current up to date diagnostic criteria.
Sorry this is incorrect.

I work in the NHS specifically for CAMHS and there are specific and separate pathways for both ADHD and ASC.

We have an ADHD pathway and an ASC pathway, they are separate entities and assessed by different teams for the different associated presentations of the two conditions.

Even though they share *some* traits they are not assessed and diagnosed as one.

The NHS trying to do everything they can to prevent a diagnosis is simply not true, and is probably born from the difficulties, especially from parents, understanding the criteria for diagnosis, not meeting that criteria, and oft being unhappy and negative towards services because of it.

Associate
Sorry this is incorrect.

I work in the NHS specifically for CAMHS and there are specific and separate pathways for both ADHD and ASC.

We have an ADHD pathway and an ASC pathway, they are separate entities and assessed by different teams for the different associated presentations of the two conditions.

Even though they share *some* traits they are not assessed and diagnosed as one.

The NHS trying to do everything they can to prevent a diagnosis is simply not true, and is probably born from the difficulties, especially from parents, understanding the criteria for diagnosis, not meeting that criteria, and oft being unhappy and negative towards services because of it.

I literally just filled in a whole bunch of questionnaires for both ASD and ADHD from 'Manygates provides a base for the Trust's attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and autism spectrum disorder (ASD) services.'

As for your last point, my current GP straight up admitted to me that only about 25% of patients referred for ASD / ADHD actually get seen, 75% are refused simply due to lack of funding, regardless of their needs or the law requiring that adults be able to access this testing. The 'understanding the criteria for diagnosis' part is something that every psychiatrist I have seen up until now don't understand themselves, literally always 'you have a degree and / or are speaking to me fine right now so you don't have autism'.

Also CAHMS and the rest of your post is for children right? That doesn't refute the point that I made that 'unless you are *diagnosed in childhood*, the NHS does everything it can to refuse a diagnosis'.

Trying to access any help as an adult beyond a diagnosis of anxiety and SSRI prescriptions is pretty much non existent throughout the NHS.

Associate
I went with Psychiatry-UK via a referral from my GP and right-to-choose legislation.

I was referred on March 17th.
Had my Assessment on May 3rd.
I now have a 12 week (well technically 10 now) wait until I can do my medication titration to get my dose right. It seems I'm starting on Elvanse.
I’m actually surprised you managed to get your GP to refer you.

I’ve been fighting for mine to do it since last September when I first found out about right to choose.

I know a lot of people have had difficulties also.

I’ve been back and forth between my GP and Commissioning group since last year with no success.

Frustrating to say the least.

Had initially gone private due to long waiting list on NHS, want to change medication but financially it’s expensive to go through titration again.

I just don’t feel Elvanse helps me much but stuck with it only because after some back and forth I got it under NHS prices.

My Pscyh was lovely we exhausted a lot
of options with Elvans, just cost wise for medication, prescription and appointments it was all adding up.

As my GP refuses to let me go down right to choose I’m back to waiting for the NHS.

My appointments next month after being told I could be waiting up to another year…Now I don’t know if that’s because I sent some strongly worded emails and had some back and forth with key individuals…

Regardless I’m glad at least I’m seeing someone soon…Wonder what titration wait on NHS is considering I’ve had to wait so long for the an actual appointment.

Associate
You were told wrong.

All of my GP, Kirklees mental health, IAPT, Leeds mental health services, and CCG told me as such.

Even with physical health things, I have never been given the option to choose where I wish to be seen up front, but I've needed to argue about it excessively at a later time.

The main thing is that while I live in Kirkless, I live closer to with easier bus access to Leeds than either Wakefield or Huddersfield. I am automatically required to have my appointments carried out in the latter places based of which council area I live in rather than where is nearer to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
The drink makes me feel brilliant, that's the trouble, every music video is 50x better, the hangover is not physical as such more that mood plummet, its like a mood credit card, I pay for the high with a low with added interest
Only talking 2 bottles of red a week but last weekend did 4 in 3 nights....
Edit but yes, underlying cause needs dealing with, its a very long term thing,and probebly almost definitely relationships are the problem and how I communicate with people

Edit put t in the

This has pretty much led to me quitting drinking, with a very occasional single glass of wine or beer. I am exactly the same where an afternoon/evening of euphoria is followed by a day of total doom and misery. It took me a long time to realise those highs are not worth what you pay for them, which is often days of feeling below par through hangovers and sleep debt.

Maybe if I get fully on top of things then I’d go back to it, but at this stage I don’t see it. The longer you go without the easier it becomes, and there are so many good AF beers these days that help with the habitual/social side of it.

Soldato
I dont think i could quit tbh ,had maybe 1 dry week in 30 years ,my only saving grace is i never drink on a school night ,euphoria is the right word though thats what it is ,last night was a bottle of 14 percent red (never get used to it feel hammered afterwords) but then i had an unneeded beer that was lurking in the fridge ,weirdly the morning after is followed by a caffine high ,the dip may or may not come later.
dont think the AF beers would work as alchohol is my social prop in a situation of, say a room full of strangers
i can justify to myself my normal 2 bottles of red a week ,less so the mood plummets

Soldato
I’m actually surprised you managed to get your GP to refer you.

I’ve been fighting for mine to do it since last September when I first found out about right to choose.

I know a lot of people have had difficulties also.

I’ve been back and forth between my GP and Commissioning group since last year with no success.

Frustrating to say the least.

Had initially gone private due to long waiting list on NHS, want to change medication but financially it’s expensive to go through titration again.

I just don’t feel Elvanse helps me much but stuck with it only because after some back and forth I got it under NHS prices.

My Pscyh was lovely we exhausted a lot
of options with Elvans, just cost wise for medication, prescription and appointments it was all adding up.

As my GP refuses to let me go down right to choose I’m back to waiting for the NHS.

My appointments next month after being told I could be waiting up to another year…Now I don’t know if that’s because I sent some strongly worded emails and had some back and forth with key individuals…

Regardless I’m glad at least I’m seeing someone soon…Wonder what titration wait on NHS is considering I’ve had to wait so long for the an actual appointment.
Yeah, I got pretty lucky, maybe it was because the GP I spoke to at my surgery was a newly qualified locum, he seemed really easy going and potentially isn't as jaded and reluctant to do things as an older GP, it may not be true but that was the impression I got.
My GP is in Redbridge in London, that may be important as it seems your local health authority has the say on what services are covered by right to choose.

Soldato
Since everyone was so kind to me last time I thought I'd post here and check in to see how others are doing?

I'm getting on OK. Dealt with some bad news (a friend lost a daughter to suicide, mental health related...) which hit me hard. Talked to my GP and agreed to try Sertraline this time - medication roulette is my new favourite game! Initial side effects seem to be extreme exhaustion but my mood has lifted and stablised so that's good I guess? Early days yet though.

Caporegime
I've mentioned before about how mental health runs in family and how I have to keep it in check best I can.

My mum has gotten so bad with depression family thinks it's time to consider private treatment.

My step dad is living with my my who can barely get out of bed and "doesn't want to be here". It must be a toxic situation.

We're only at the initial stages of this, and luckily my parents have a big expensive house to use to be able to I pay for it. Not everyone has that.
I don't know if this is going to be basically 'institutionalised' or what. But yeah not great.

Is scary times really. I know how I felt when I was at my worst. And my mum is so so much worse than that.
Pretty much everything else has been tried.

Just a comment really. Wondering if anyone has been through similar.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
I've mentioned before about how mental health runs in family and how I have to keep it in check best I can.

My mum has gotten so bad with depression family thinks it's time to consider private treatment.

My step dad is living with my my who can barely get out of bed and "doesn't want to be here". It must be a toxic situation.

We're only at the initial stages of this, and luckily my parents have a big expensive house to use to be able to I pay for it. Not everyone has that.
I don't know if this is going to be basically 'institutionalised' or what. But yeah not great.

Is scary times really. I know how I felt when I was at my worst. And my mum is so so much worse than that.
Pretty much everything else has been tried.

Just a comment really. Wondering if anyone has been through similar.

You might find the professional practice (psychiatry) guidelines for treatment of depression useful background info that can give you foresight into your mothers treatment.

The UK and AU guidelines are very similar (Royal Associations of Psychiatrists).

For example, look at the first Practice Guideline (at the top of the below page:

https://www.ranzcp.org/practice-edu...e/mood-disorders-cpg-and-associated-resources

Also, you might find the table on page 32 of that (pdf) file instructive / useful / educational.

Back
Top Bottom