* The Metal Thread *

Man of Honour
I presume he means the rhythm guitar riff that starts at :32

That's the one (well, 0:30 for me) - incredible tone going on there and god damn it's so friggin' fast, mega stamina required, simply awesome guitar playing!! :eek:

Oh my god I just heard that awful Lou Reed and Metallica song The View. What on earth?!? That was so bad! :o

Associate
As much as I love Metallica I still don't see the big deal with MOP, I much prefer AJFA. That was Metallica at their best I think. MOP's drum production is rubbish too, I'd love it if they released re-masters of the early albums with punchy drums. Imagine all the albums with the black album production! Do want.

I find that rhythm pretty easy to play, but I've been playing and learning Metallica songs for years so I'm pretty used to the down picking and fast picking required :D

I've lost a bit of respect for them after hearing about the Lulu album, their next release better be epic to help people forget that album ever existed :p

Man of Honour
As much as I love Metallica I still don't see the big deal with MOP, I much prefer AJFA. That was Metallica at their best I think. MOP's drum production is rubbish too, I'd love it if they released re-masters of the early albums with punchy drums. Imagine all the albums with the black album production! Do want.

I find that rhythm pretty easy to play, but I've been playing and learning Metallica songs for years so I'm pretty used to the down picking and fast picking required :D

I've lost a bit of respect for them after hearing about the Lulu album, their next release better be epic to help people forget that album ever existed :p
I don't have AJFA, it's on my to get list. I'm pretty sure there have been remixes of the old albums, but not released commercially in the UK - have a browse!

I actually bet myself a million billion pounds (not sure how that works) that the next comment about that riff would involve the word easy - guitarists just can't resist saying things are easy, even if they have sank thousands of hours into playing the bloody thing!! :p

I'm a massive fan of Paul Gilbert and he pretty much makes everyone look like an utter noob, but even then, damn the speed and stamina needed to plough through Disposable Heroes in full is inspiring! James Hetfield is an utter beast!

Last edited:
Associate
AJFA is definitely worth getting, Lars was mental on the drums back then :D Yeah I was reading that Metallica thread that was made a few weeks back on here, someone linked to the remixes but they were about £50 or something silly if I remember correctly.

I'm not usually one to say things are easy, but I pride myself on being a pretty damn good rhythm guitar player :p it has taken years to get good at it though without sounding sloppy. When it comes to lead and shredding however, I'm pretty rubbish as I've never really studied theory so I just know a few basic shapes on the fretboard from learning the odd solo.

He is a machine I'll agree, I only found out recently too that he holds his plectrum with two fingers and his thumb, I just can't see how that can work! (Rob Flynn does the same too I think)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Woah, that is rather unusual - galloping triplets are an absolute no go for me unless the plectrum is resting against the side of my index finger (the boney bit).

Saying that, it is easier to get notes pop out powerfully for me if I hold the pick on the fleshy part of my index finger and put my thumb more parallel to the strings - I'm currently experimenting with both.

In short I need to be James Hetfield.

Soldato
AJFA is probably my favourite Metallica album out of all of them, not a song on there I do not like.

I sometimes think Damage Inc. off of MOP should be on AJFA, a lot of the songs are a lot like that (except Damage Inc. has a really strange intro, thinking about it quite like Blackened's). Blackened and Dyer's Eve off of AJFA are brutal, Lars was one hell of a good drummer back then, shame now he's not that great (live anyway). Also it has 'One' on it, the whole album is worth getting just for that song alone.

Justice is the best album Metallica made bar none, Puppets is epic but i could never get along with the crappy production, sounds so muddy in places. Justice is where Lars came alive, it's strange listening to him now and wondering what went wrong when every other drummer of that era got better.

Soldato
Justice is the best album Metallica made bar none, Puppets is epic but i could never get along with the crappy production, sounds so muddy in places. Justice is where Lars came alive, it's strange listening to him now and wondering what went wrong when every other drummer of that era got better.

Yet he can still make ridiculously fast songs like All Nightmare Long on Death Magnetic, obviously had to be done in about 20 takes :L.

poor lars.

Associate
Candlemass
As I lay dying
Sylosis
Trigger the bloodshed
The Faceless
Killswitch Engage
Lamb of God
Rob Zombie
Floyd
Sabbath
Scar symmetry
Savage Circus
Queensryche
Pathogen

...to list a small few.

:D:D:D:D

Metal in the blood...

Man of Honour

Weird.
I can still remember the headlines on the front of SOUNDS when Master was released - 'Is this the future of recorded music, will all albums be this good?' and then it went on to say inside how it was the best recorded album ever.
Also, don't you miss the bass on Justice?

Weird.
I can still remember the headlines on the front of SOUNDS when Master was released - 'Is this the future of recorded music, will all albums be this good?' and then it went on to say inside how it was the best recorded album ever.
Also, don't you miss the bass on Justice?

And yet if you listen to Puppets and the black album side by side, the production is night and day, to me anyway.

I do miss bass on Justice but there is something about the guitar sound on that album that almost doesnt need any fleshing out, it's so crunching, almost industrial. Listening to the '..and justice for Jason' remixes almost sounds wrong, almost too much bass in them.

Man of Honour
And yet if you listen to Puppets and the black album side by side, the production is night and day, to me anyway.

I do miss bass on Justice but there is something about the guitar sound on that album that almost doesnt need any fleshing out, it's so crunching, almost industrial. Listening to the '..and justice for Jason' remixes almost sounds wrong, almost too much bass in them.

Well the Metallica album is still one of the best recorded albums ever.
I also prefer Justice but I would love them to record it with the Metallica album settings.

Back
Top Bottom