The Mondeo is no more

Associate
few years time knowing ford and the mondeo name will reappear know doubt attached to some electric/crossover/suv van type thingy :)

Soldato
so it did have an obesity problem mkv vs mk1 (like vw golf) -
Wheelbase : 285 cm or 112.2 inches
Length : 477.8 cm or 188.11 inches
Width : 188.6 cm or 74.25 inches
Height : 150 cm or 59.06 inches
Wheelbase : 270 cm or 106.3 inches
Length : 456 cm or 179.53 inches
Width : 175 cm or 68.9 inches
Height : 137 cm or 53.94 inches
~6" on height/width/length

also not the patriotic choice versus rover 800/600 that also used to be in our pool
Belgium: Genk (1992–2013) Russia: Vsevolozhsk (2009–present) Spain: Ford Valencia (2014–present

Associate
A shame. I had two mk1s, a mk3 and a mk4, all were great. The mk3 in particular seemed to be such a step up from the earlier models and in some ways less cost cutting than the mk4 with "German" characteristics such as gas struts for the bonnet, chain driven cams, easily removable tool less headlights and a solid looking dash and nice simple instruments which were all lost/made ugly with the introduction of the mk4. I will never forget the crime they commited with that oval clock, however!

so it did have an obesity problem mkv vs mk1 (like vw golf) -
... And the Mk4 was even bigger than the mk5. I loved mine, still running around with 200k on the clock last time I checked.

Soldato
He did but it wasn't recently, it was 2006 and he was pointing out there were more Aston DB9 than Mondeo ST220 on the road.

He did another in 'Funeral for a Ford' or similar title in the last season of The Grand Tour.

I bloody hate all of these weirdly proportioned crossover piles of ****. In a time where we obsess about the CO2 emissions of a car, they make them worse in every way possible and people buy them en masse.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I bloody hate all of these weirdly proportioned crossover piles of ****. In a time where we obsess about the CO2 emissions of a car, they make them worse in every way possible and people buy them en masse.
My parents generation find this trend more amusing than i do as they grew up with such small cars, although i guess as a child of the 80/90s i can see it clearly too. The size and car preferences these days is totally off the scale, i barely know anyone without a 4x4 (we have 2 :p). The school run you barely see a single normal car.

A big car back when i was at school was a standard boxy Volvo estate.

Soldato
It's the same here unfortunately. Every single parent who drops their kids off at the school near me have a crossover or 4x4. Which is a good job, as they'd never mount the pavement at the doorway in a lesser car!! :p

I'd honestly prefer a Volvo 850 over any of these big 'softroaders,' and that's without driving either.

Associate
I've had a mk3, mk4.5 and currently drive a remapped 1.5 petrol mk5. Love my mk5 and so does the family, great to drive, tons of room in the cabin and a massive boot. I'm gutted I can't get a new model when it's time for the mk5 to go. I'll probably go for a Focus Estate instead, really can't stand SUV's.

Soldato
As I hadn't owned a Mondeo since my last Mk4 back in 2015, one thing I hadn't realised was, whilst the newer Mk5's outer styling "kept pace" with other manufacturers, the interior styling of the new Mk5 was stuck a decade in the past and desperately need an interior facelift to rid it of it's Mk4 heritage. For example, when I compared 2021 plate "top spec" Mondeo's (say £30k priced) with some German equivalents at the same price, the German cars interiors are light years ahead and even makes like Hyundai have more modern looking interiors nowadays so, alongside peoples desire for SUV's (the bigger reason TBF), it's no wonder the Mk5 sales have plummeted when the thing you see every day looks 10+ years old in your brand new car!

2021 Mondeo -

3VNfRX7.jpg

2021 BMW 520 -

Kr20Hqh.jpeg

2021 Audi A6 -

uKstN4Q.jpeg

Soldato
You're not getting a 2021 5 Series of that interior spec for 30k.

Yeap, my mistake, I was looking at a 2020 with 35 miles for £30k - Autotrader ad

Also forgetting that 2021 Mk5 Mondeo isn't a 2021 design car is it, it's a 2014/15.

I know, which is why I said it needed a facelift, in the post I made, which you must have read? :D

the interior styling of the new Mk5 was stuck a decade in the past and desperately need an interior facelift to rid it of it's Mk4 heritage. For example, when I compared 2021 plate "top spec" Mondeo's (say £30k priced)

Soldato
As I hadn't owned a Mondeo since my last Mk4 back in 2015, one thing I hadn't realised was, whilst the newer Mk5's outer styling "kept pace" with other manufacturers, the interior styling of the new Mk5 was stuck a decade in the past and desperately need an interior facelift to rid it of it's Mk4 heritage. For example, when I compared 2021 plate "top spec" Mondeo's (say £30k priced) with some German equivalents at the same price, the German cars interiors are light years ahead and even makes like Hyundai have more modern looking interiors nowadays so, alongside peoples desire for SUV's (the bigger reason TBF), it's no wonder the Mk5 sales have plummeted when the thing you see every day looks 10+ years old in your brand new car!

but, when you look at how spartan ev interiors (the future?) have become, the older mondeo interior is back in style
- it is difficult to judge the comparative materials quality though from a photo too, which, really, trump frippery like hu display.
- comparative audio sytem quality too, reduced budget spent on that, now, versus older cars ? do I want more infotainment processing power (fast apps) than used to get to the moon, or audio quality.

however, my parents, and me, for that matter, would remain more efficient with buttons on the console, than a >10" tablet in left hand.

Soldato
I had a 2017 Mondeo and I loved the interior. Granted, that was in comparison to more modern Ford models but it's actually not a bad place to be. The seats are comfortable and very American/spacious, driving position is nice, it's quiet and there's plenty of storage. Some of the materials aren't the quality of an Audi, for example, but that's a different class (and price) of vehicle in my eyes. The design isn't as bad as you think and actually it's not too fussy compared to a lot of the modern interiors you see now. Properly integrated touchscreen, anyone? That said, high quality of leather and premium it isn't.

Possibly the only bad thing I could say about the Mondeo was that although it handled great, at speed you could tell there were some issues with body control/rigidity of the chassis. However, I can't think of another car that I've ever driven that I would rather do serious miles in. It was that pleasant (with the 2.0L Diesel auto). The boot was also huge which was very convenient. I could take 5 of us to motorsport events and carry all our chairs, food and more with no issue at all. I still miss it now and would have another if I could.

Soldato
however, my parents, and me, for that matter, would remain more efficient with buttons on the console, than a >10" tablet in left hand.

The design isn't as bad as you think and actually it's not too fussy compared to a lot of the modern interiors you see now. Properly integrated touchscreen, anyone?

I too prefer the "older" style of buttons vs touchscreens, but people just aren't buying the Mondeo anymore (IIRC <2k sales last year) despite it being a great overall car, and I can't help but think that an interior refresh 2 years ago to make it look more "modern" might have helped. Even just "simple" things like moving the LCD centre console screen up so it's inline with the dash like the BMW (or newer designed SUV/crossover Fords like the Kuga etc), or adding a second LCD for Climate etc like the Audi would have made it appear more modern, making it more exciting to look at for newer/younger potential owners vs it's rivals.

I mean here's the 2019 Ford Kuga interior, why couldn't the Mondeo have been given a similar looking refresh in 2019 rather than keeping its very dated design (effectively a 2007 Mk4 design just tweaked for the Mk5)?

vZN2sxg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom