• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The most confusing time to upgrade

Associate
eightball103 said:
but really what will conroe bring us? im always a here and now guy to be honest.

I hear what you're saying eightball, but as Conroe's release seems so soon, a little while longer may just pay dividends.

Hopefully, it will result in more bang for ya buck - just hope it lives up to all the hype. Just looking at the benchies has done it for me!!

Associate
OP
sure, my setup is as follows (not necciceraly from OCuk):

AM2 3800 x2 : 212.91
MSI AM2 K9 Platinum : 88:43
1Gb 2x512mb corsair twinx xms2 ddr2 pc5400 : 698.89
256mb leadtek 7600gt : 117.49
Gigabyte aurora3d : 78.01
Seasonic 430W : 41.00

Shipping : 10.00

total : 619.47

Case is mearly a preference, you can go for cheaper cases and psu combo's that wll bring this right under 600

Soldato
poltergeist666 said:
Asus NF2/XP2600/9700pro - it chugs! :rolleyes:

I need a new system yesterday! Shame it ain't going to be tomorrow! :(

So should I have got a new system the day before?
MSI Intel865PE/P4HT2.8GHz/9600np

(not here to compete who's got the weaker system) :cool:

Associate
OP
Have read the conroe benchies and also read the accusations of foul play. While i give intel the benefit of the doubt, im not swayed by benchmarking that was done 6 months before a product release. i do think something is fishy with their AMD setup.

While intel may be getting back on the rails to be a serius contender with amd again. the point is that the AMD chipset is here. AM2 is their new form factor and that any subsequent cpu's will be released on the AM2 format.

I will stick to my spec posted previusly (minus the ludicruis typo) and if intels conroe runs rings around me in july then so be it.
Point of fact, i NEED a new computer as of next week and seeing as AMD are in with their new tech first. im going for it.

Also im going from a 2.4 oldskool p4 to a new 64bit amd 3800 dual core... in my eyes that will be damn fast anyway :p

Soldato
Biggles 266 said:
Wait for K8L. End of.
Why would he want to wait for a quad-core workstation/server chip that he will receive negligable benefit from and will probably clean out his wallet? :confused:

Have read the conroe benchies and also read the accusations of foul play. While i give intel the benefit of the doubt, im not swayed by benchmarking that was done 6 months before a product release. i do think something is fishy with their AMD setup.
Open your eyes! Hundreds of independant benchmarks have been done since the IDF tests. Look on the XtremeSystems forums for starters...

Associate
OP
looked at their benchies too, but still not overly keen to waiting. im going AM2.
AMD brought it out this early for a reason, becuase they knew they would lag several months behind intel so they put their foot out to try and hook the amd loyals into buying into am2 rather than conroe. however that said, they have good reason to push am2, it is their new formfactor and as said before, their new stuff will be socket am2.

Im not amd or intel loyal, just want to lay that out right here. ive swapped between the two more than enough times. I certainly dont want this to turn into an amd vs intel thread. Both have good chips comming, intel sooner, but amd in with the am2 format first.

bottom line is, i cant wait, and i cant afford conroe when it comes out so ill will go the amd route and i recomend to anyone in the same possition who needs a new system now that AM2 is a future proof design with potential to compete with conroe. alternativly if you have an ok system now, then you can make do, wait for conroe bcuase no doubt it will kick amd's current offerings in the nuts.

Associate
If you want the best straight away then conroe looks like the better option. AM2 is not quite there yet but give it a little while and it should be. Part of the reason for it was for upgradability. In short Conroe if you want power now, AM2 if you can wait for the improvements. Or if you're rich get both :D

Associate
Personally, I'm gonna wait for Windows Vista to come out, get established after a few months, so around this time next year, I will probably get upgrading. My spec At the moment is 3200+ (939), 2Gb Ram and XFX 6600GT, though I may be upgrading the graphics earlier though.

k3v

k3v

Associate
I've just upgraded from a xp2500 to an a64 3700. plenty quick enough for me and I get to re-use my agp and memory making it a cheap upgrade

Back
Top Bottom