1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The MSI Neo2 Platinum Owners Help Thread

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by derthballs, 19 Aug 2004.

1. derthballs

PermaBanned

Thought it would be easiest to make a thread for this board, since many will be recieving today. Any advice help, tips etc, please post in here to share, im about to start tweaking :)

Ive installed and up and running (havent formatted yet, still on my p4 install at the mo).

Does anyone know what the sensors should be for MBM5? The MSI utility dosent seem to report temps correctly (idle 54C at stock with my reserator) Winbond 3 looks to be right at 36C idle, any ideas?

2. Gixer

Wise Guy

:( Due to a small problem dont know when I gonna get mine. Hopefully tomorrow as the problem has now been sorted, but I bet it ends up being Monday :(

3. split

Mobster

Are you using the latest BIOS ?

4. Gixer

Wise Guy

Yipee will arrive tomorrow.

Is it a BIOS thing or is it the fact that MBM5 doesnt support this mobo? maybe you cannot select it from the list you get to choose from. Might be a tricky one to resolve if this is the case. Shame coz I really like using MBM5

5. derthballs

PermaBanned

ive flashed to latest bios - it has improved slightly, but the sensor is obviously goofy - its alternating between 47-51C.

Still even at 2.6ghz it feels like 51C is too high at stock, i havent primed yet tho.

The most annoying thing is to reboot, i have to shut it down then start it up again, if i reset, it stalls on loading, but fires up first time when shut off, very weird.

Im not sure what my ram should be set at, i dont really understand these timings (im used to intel) so if someone could explain them, ive got kingmax pc4000 in sig. Still it seems happy enough at 237FSB so far ;)

6. split

Mobster

SATA or IDE drive?

7. Abooie

Mobster

Got mine all up and running at stock for now and I've flashed the Bios to 1.1.

I also think the temps are a bit goofy as I'm also showing a high CPU temp of 54/55C and a system temperature of 4C... errr.... yeah 4C

I'd better go put a jumper on.

Not got this and I've had to reboot a lot... and I mean a lot I've got an Audigy Card...

One thing.. can't install 3DMark03, get a 'serious exception' at the end. This may be a SP2 problem though as I already had it installed before.

Got my 1Gb Geil Value at stock and its running a treat. Going to crank it up to 2, 3, 3, 11 @ 2.7V and see how I get on.

Edit system and one more thing...

AMD64 3500+, MSI Neo2, 2x512 Geil Value, [email protected]/1100, WinXP SP2, Audigy, Hitatchi Deskstar 160GB Sata.

FYI, I ordered a Sata PSU adaptor, not only did the Neo2 come with one, my Hitatchi Deskstar supports Legacy... Doh!

Last edited: 19 Aug 2004
  8. Ricochet J

Capodecina

If anyone has bought this board can you post in the usual stuff please. Benchies, pics of the board, FAQs, etc etc.

Cheers.

9. derthballs

PermaBanned

it dosent do the "turn off" issue at stock, only when i ramp up the fsb.

Quite annoying to say the least.

10. Ricochet J

Capodecina

What does that mean?

11. derthballs

PermaBanned

read back a few posts, when i overclock i need to turn off the pc when rebooting rather than reset, or it hangs on loading.

12. Ricochet J

Capodecina

Ohh. Cheers. (Sorry didn't understand your last post)

:D

13. Exorcist

Capodecina

a stern warning about using the live update tool to flash your bios.

i did it, it apparently went successfully but in the process of restart it deleted my raid array with all my data on..grrr

im now re installing 2 hours worth of updates and software. :rolleyes:

14. VoG

Soldato

reminds me of the S754 K8N NEO Plat', that was such a twitchy mobo, damn near put me of overclocking for life.

15. Exorcist

Capodecina

im okay as i dont intend to overclock :D

16. derthballs

PermaBanned

its the only real problem ive encountered so far - bios update didnt help it unfortunately, and i havent read of anyone else with the same problem yet.

Does anyone know whats the max voltage i should be putting through a 3500 chip? The temps definetly cant be reporting correctly - 53-56C idle - 61-63C full load at 2520 on the reserator.

17. Abooie

Mobster

I'm a little confused about drivers...

MSI Live Update tells me

NVIDIA nForce3 System Driver
    Item Name NVIDIA nForce3 System Driver Update
    Current Ver. 5.03 Online Ver. 5.03 Size 26.36MB

But the latest on the NVidia site for Windows XP - Unified Driver
    is version: 4.27..

Anyone end my confusion (previously a Via owner)

18. derthballs

PermaBanned

Ive just rebooted at my clocked speed of 2520 - and lost my PCI cards, put it back to stock and they show up again. AGP is set to 66 (so i presume pci is locked at 33)

anyone else? (im probably the only goon still using pci cards right enough :)

19. Legion

Wise Guy

Try setting your agp to 67.
    It worked on my nf3 150's and 250's.

20. derthballs

PermaBanned

great stuff, ill give that a try ;)