The MSI Neo2 Platinum Owners Help Thread

Associate
I read a review of the 939 boards on another site. Said having a Tras between 9-11 was best. They found the ideal on the MSI to be Tras 10. Rest I guess you just get set as low as possible.

Those temps do seem a bit high to me. My mates socket 754 with a AMD62 3200 idles at 35 or summin like that. Im not gonna play with o-clocking to start with. Only have PC3200 ram so I wouldnt be able to without slackening timings which I dont really wanna do.

Do u think I should skip installing SP2 for the moment? and just install SP1 and the other hotfixes? I heard SP2 is causing a few problems :confused:

Associate
Originally posted by derthballs
starting to wonder who's pocket annandtech is in. (MSI's obviously :) )

They got to 300 FSB pretty quickly with their chip - well i cant even do 250x10 with my pc4000 which did 270fsb in my intel.

phooey!

Did you try lowering your LDT(HT) to 3?
Are you using a divider?

Soldato
Originally posted by naefeart
Am I right in saying the problems being experienced with the new MSI mb only occur when trying to overclock?

Is it stable when just running at stock levels?

Thanks,

Running at stock with 1GB of Geil Value Duel Channel Kit.
With a Leadtek Retail 6800GT @ 370/1070, Hitatchi Sata 160GB
and a Chieftec 340W

Everythings running very stable. (If a little hot, if the monitor is to be believed). I'm running the retail heatsink and fan.

Also followng from reports with the Neo I didn't have any problems setting up a single SATA drive. The bios picked it up (its in slot 1) and Windows SP1a (didn't slipstream 2) installed first time. (No need for the Raid Menu etc)

Tried upping the memory to 2 11-3-3 instead of the 2.5 8-4-4 as I read on a thread in the memory forum to no success. (both @ 2.7V) Any suggestions?

Also tried the software overclocking self optimiser which got the FSB up to 226 before the system hung and then wouldn't boot until I did a hard reset (waited a minute) and reset.

Couldn't get 3Dmark03 to install at all (and i know my source file was good) until i redownloaded it (I've heard its fussy).

One last thing, I'd been running the 6800GT @ 400/1100 on my old rig (AMD 1800+) and had played with optimising it in relation to where throttling started to appear.

The first far cry test I did with the 3500 gave me average fps of 29!! with 6AA and 8AF, so I lowered the overclock to 370/1070 and it shot to 50.

Associate
Hi.
Just thought I'd post some of my experience with this board.

No matter what I try when overclocking the fsb 235mhz is the max. It appears the SATA controller is failing and the PCI lock is becomeing unstable. Originally when working on the board the PCI lock didnt even function at all, but flashing to the 1.1bios (twice) and booting first at an fsb of 210mhz appeared to cure that, apparently:rolleyes:.
Still however no luck after 235mhz fsb. So i set it down to 230mhz (9multi) ran it for 30min and the thin BSOD'd on me, corrupting my sata drives (sounds like SATA controller failure doesnt it) so im thinking the PCI lock still isnt engageing properly.
Undeterred I reformatted and reinstalled windows, was running at stock, BSOD. HDD corrupted. So far its does this 3 times with 2 hard drives. Not particually impressed. Any news on the DFI?

Associate
Got mine all setup and running. I played with that dynamic over clocking in BIOS and this gave me good enough results without any stability problems. Just tweaking this got me an extra 1500points in 3dMark01 so Im happy. I'm sure there is more to be had but I need better ram (only have PC3200) thats gonna have to wait after buying all the stuff I just did :D

Associate
Yup tried all the sata ports, as well as running one single sided 256mb stick of ram in each of the 4 slots. At 235mhz it hit a rock. Now its started killing windows installations at stock. literally 10min ago my last ditch effort of installing the win 64 beta (was nice when it worked) was corrupted after installing the raid driver:rolleyes: . Someting definatly up with the sata controller.

Associate
Oh forgot. Also got the same temps as all you guys. In BIOS under PC health it says I am idling at 51-55, my system temp is 30 which is normal for me :confused:

Lets hope it isn't really that hot as my old 2800 run cooler than that at full load. My mates AMD64 3200 idles at 34ish I think which is a lot lower.

Associate
I'm up and running at stock. Installed onto a single SATA drive without any drivers and it seems fine. I'm running PRIME95 now.

I can't get the USB floppy to work (floppy error 40) at post, any suggestions? It's a bit of a pain because I wanted to run memtest from it. I pulled the USB floppy out of the USB port on the side of my monitor and none of the monitors USB ports seem to work now :eek: , I'm hoping I've not permanently damaged it.

My OCZ3500's running at 2.5 3 2 8 (as it says on the sticker) which it wouldn't even post with on the gigabyte. Any suggestions on better timings, or is this good?

My temps are high too, 50 something, which I suppose is better than 10 (the gigabytes reading).

Roch

rlm

rlm

Associate
Still waiting for my board, I can say the excitement has gone for me now though, I was expecting this board to be a really good overclockers board. It sounds good at stock but wanted to try my 3700EB and my fx53 at 2600 with a high 'fsb' (whatever the AMD equiv is). Is there any way of telling if the locks are working? No program that will tell you?

Soldato
Got mine the other day.....

Here's my spec

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum wi-fi
A64 3500
1GB Geil Value
1x80GB Hitachi 7K250
Inno 3D 6800 Ultra

Now like the rest of you im seeing high temps in the bios which can't be right as im using a Hyper 6 with 2 noiseblocker fans on it pointing straight at an exhaust fan.

Clocking wise at 5xHTT and 1:1 the max i can get is 215x11
If i mess atround with the mem/multi/HTT i can go to past 2420mhz but not tried prime yet.

I had the 754 board and it seems that MSI haven't really learned from the release of that.

Saying that i'm pleased performance-wise and for flexibility im glad i've gone 939.

Not flashed to v1.1 yet but will report back if things change afterwards :D

Back
Top Bottom