The MSI Neo2 Platinum Owners Help Thread

Associate
Hi guys,

Going by the Anantech review i have on order the MSI NEO2 and 2gb Crucial Ballistix, but i've read a few threads where people are saying one or both of these are pretty bad :( So whats true??

If there's anyone that actually has these parts, if they could tell me how it performs?

I still have chance to cancel and go for something different, so any advice is much appreciated....

thanks

zil

zil

Associate
There seems to be conflicting reports on the k8n neo2, some people say its good some people have aweful problems. Its really up to you to decide on that one. As for the ballisitix, judging form the anantech refview they look like great memory however the k8n neo2 hass compatibility issues with them. One or two people have been lucky and they work together, but i wouldnt risk it.

Associate
Whats confusing is, the Anantech memory review is done on the Neo2 (editors choice) and the Crucial gets the gold award along with the OCZ :confused:

I thought building my own system would be easy, but i can't even find the right parts to go together :mad:

Associate
Hi,

I have just bought an MSI K8N Neo2 + A64 3500. I have 2 WD Raptor in a Raid 0 array. Every time I start XP (SP2) I get the following error popup:

Raid Service U.S. English Resources has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Any ideas what this is and how to stop it, everything seems to work fine just get this error ever time I start windows.

I have the latest nvidia drivers installed I have uninstalled them and reinstalled but still get the error message.

Thanks
James

Soldato
I dunno if thats an SP2 prob, but have a look here for a raid set up on this board.

That may not be for a Neo2, but it's all the same.

Also see thread. <fixed with newer drivers :)

Last edited:
Associate
There is a chart in your mobo book saying where to put your ram. If your using PC3200 up and want dual band put it in slots 1&2. I believe there is a bit saying these slots should be used up before utilising slots 3&4 otherwise you may encounter problems.

Associate
Cheers guys:)

Well I'm up an running with my first ever AMD CPU. The 3500+ and the Neo 2. Got Windows up and running but it's taking nearly 30 seconds after the initial board startup messages for the balck XP Pro screen to appear and Windows starts to load. I've done two installs with the same thing. I'm currently using my old Chieftec 300W PSU from my old P4 2.4 system. The manual says this is the minimun PSU you can use with the A64 chips. Might this be the cause of the delay at start up?

Any help appreciated:)

Last edited:
Associate
Carlito it could be the boot order/settings...

By default the boot order has 'other' enabled and iirc both the nvidia boot agent and the onboard NIC check to see if they should be doing something...

Worth a check to see.

Cen

Soldato
Got my mobo yesterday and ive got to say i love it,windows installed np at all,the only thing is the temp reads wrong 52c idle,can i download a third party monitor for the temps e.t.c.

Also ive got DDR3200 ram but its running @160 sorry 4 the noob question as this is my first AMD board.
***/

Soldato
I don't thnk there is a working monitor as such (one that reads low), but have a look here.
You can prolly also find other answers at that site, but AMD 64 bit tweaking is here.

Associate
Originally posted by Cenuij
Carlito it could be the boot order/settings...

By default the boot order has 'other' enabled and iirc both the nvidia boot agent and the onboard NIC check to see if they should be doing something...

Worth a check to see.

Cen

Had a look.

Got the usual Floppy/CDROM/HDD boot order. Didn't notice anything that said "other".

So would I be better off getting a higher power PSU for the A64?

I'm a total newbie to AMD so I'm still unsure about some things. Windows tells me that the CPU is running at 2.2GHZ. Is this the standard speed for the 3500+?

Also how do I check that my RAM is running in dual channel? I have x2 Gell 512 3200 in slots 1 and 2. Window just says "1GB RAM". No mention if they're running in dual channel or not.

Cheers:)

Associate
Originally posted by Carlito

I'm a total newbie to AMD so I'm still unsure about some things. Windows tells me that the CPU is running at 2.2GHZ. Is this the standard speed for the 3500+?

Also how do I check that my RAM is running in dual channel? I have x2 Gell 512 3200 in slots 1 and 2. Window just says "1GB RAM". No mention if they're running in dual channel or not.

Download cpuz
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

It will tell you whats going on with your cpu/ram, slots one & two are the correct place for dual channel pc3200

2.2 is the correct stock speed for the 3500...

Carlito what's on your screen during the 30 seconds it takes to get to the windows xp loader screen? or if theres nothing whats the last message...

Associate
Hi lads I could use some of your help!

I have just got a PC for my brother and having never used AMD before, Im a little stuck.

Ive got A64 3500, MSI Neo2 (WIFI), Corsair XMS3200C2PT, 6800GT, 2xSATA drives.

* Firstly, I have only one SATA in ATM and need to add the second one. How do I do this? Just plug it in and then boot. Can I format it from Windows?

* Secondly, I got a 3dMark01 score of 15,500 ?? The system is at stock but that seems sooo low!!

* Thirdly, Hes not an overclockier atm and just wants a solid system. What things do I set in the BIOS to make this happen? RAM timings, htt multiplier etc? I have no idea of the AMD settings so I need serious help!

I know its asking a lot but if someone could almost help me set the optimum settings for the above system in the bios I would love you forever!! :)

Associate
Originally posted by Cashman
Hi lads I could use some of your help!

I know its asking a lot but if someone could almost help me set the optimum settings for the above system in the bios I would love you forever!! :)

Dude i'm just about to post some benchies of my system, both stock and OC'd with the BIOS settings i used...

In the meantime, you did install the latest forceware drivers for the mobo? its about all i can think of that would cause such a low 3dmark score...

Keep an eye on this board...

As for the second SATA drive just add it in, create a new partition using the computer management control panel > logical disc management, and format it there and then...

Soldato
I have been really put off with this nF3 rubbish.

Does anyone have this board up and running at full speed in dual channel? What memory are you using?

Cheers

Soldato
Originally posted by JonRohan
I have been really put off with this nF3 rubbish.

Does anyone have this board up and running at full speed in dual channel? What memory are you using?

Cheers

Certainly do

got my 3500 running totally primed at 250x10 4xHTT using OCZ 3200 EB memory at 2.5-3-10-2 timings....

Voltages are:

CPU - 1.55

Memory 2.70

Temps are currently 37 degrees for cpu and 20 for system (chipset)

Hope that answers your question.

Back
Top Bottom