The MSI Neo2 Platinum Owners Help Thread

Soldato
sn128 said:
Hi all,

I've having trouble playing back HD. Here are my current specs,

915P Neo2 Platinum 775
P4 3.2
1GB XMS25400

What is the best CPU I can use with the 915? Will I need to upgrade the whole lot?

Thanks.

This thread is specific to the AMD socket 939 chip, and you have a P4 3.2
All the information you need regarding the fastest CPU is on MSI's web site.
Maybe better of starting a new thread if your stuck.

Associate
sn128 said:
Hi all,

I've having trouble playing back HD. Here are my current specs,

915P Neo2 Platinum 775
P4 3.2
1GB XMS25400

What is the best CPU I can use with the 915? Will I need to upgrade the whole lot?

Thanks.
Slightly confused by your question.... not quite sure how you managed to get a Intel Pentium 4 into an AMD Athlon-64 (939 pin CPUs) motherboard.

Unless it required a lot of pin bending and soldering, I guess you are in the wrong thread. :) Have you tried going back to your board manufacturer's website and checking the charts there?

Associate
Hi everyone - has anyone successfully got this board working with a dual core processor, an ATI agp card and Vista ? I'm suffering from the Code 43 error and the only cure I've found is to disable one of the cores on my chip.

Any advice would be appreciated - but I'm guessing it can't be done until Nvidia release new Nforce drivers - if they ever do.

Ta

Associate
Yep - I'm on the latest Catalyst drivers. It works fine with a single core - just stops recognising the ATI card as soon as I enable the other core again.

Reading on the Nvidia forums it seems like Nvidia need to patch the SMBus or something to avoid a conflict between the motherboard and AGP cards.

I'm hoping they do this soon - very annoying!

Associate
MAllen said:
Slightly confused by your question.... not quite sure how you managed to get a Intel Pentium 4 into an AMD Athlon-64 (939 pin CPUs) motherboard.

Unless it required a lot of pin bending and soldering, I guess you are in the wrong thread. :) Have you tried going back to your board manufacturer's website and checking the charts there?

There's no need for sarcasm, I guess your limited knowledge is to blame.

The title and the first post do not suggest that this thread is only for AMD and even if it was does it really matter.

Oh, with regards to look at MSI's website which states some CPU's are still being tested. I very much doubt they are still testing this motherboard with anything.

Soldato
zobby said:
Hi everyone - has anyone successfully got this board working with a dual core processor, an ATI agp card and Vista ? I'm suffering from the Code 43 error and the only cure I've found is to disable one of the cores on my chip.

Any advice would be appreciated - but I'm guessing it can't be done until Nvidia release new Nforce drivers - if they ever do.

Ta

I just did a quick test...

I chucked my Radeon 9800Pro into mine, ( dont have anything newer thats AGP ) and threw on Vista.

I got the same problem too!

After doing a bit of a hunt about, it turns out that the drivers dont load in properly.

Good old Vista eh?

Associate
sn128 said:
There's no need for sarcasm, I guess your limited knowledge is to blame.

The title and the first post do not suggest that this thread is only for AMD and even if it was does it really matter.

Oh, with regards to look at MSI's website which states some CPU's are still being tested. I very much doubt they are still testing this motherboard with anything.
That is not an attitude that will win you friends around here. I was trying to help with friendly advice to explain why you would not get any replies. I don't care what your opinion is of me as I know that I do know what I am talking about. Check posting histories before insulting people. Please add me to your ignore list as you are now on mine. This is also why you will not be getting any more replies from me. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
tripitaka said:

I thought about it, but with very large GFX card i just couldnt see it clearing the huge Acrtic Fan on say 7800GS+ so gave it a miss. Just dont seem to L bend far enough in my opinion going by picture. :) It will fit on no problem and wont need a fan, just clearence that worried me.

Associate
Anyone had weird results with nVidia 7600GT graphics cards in this motherboard?

My system is getting old, as listed in the signature. The old nVidia 5900 has been doing well. But time for a "stop gap" upgrade. A second hand (3 month old) 7600GT was purchased. When I installed it and attached to my Dell 24" WS - it would not stay stable. Keeps dropping into powersave/off.

It is weird though.... PC will boot happily. Screen will be "off". Then it comes on for 2 seconds, then goes off for 30 seconds, then comes on for 2, off 30. Etc.

During the 2 second gaps I can see a screen, I have (patiently) updated drivers, etc. No joy. Won't even work with a VGA driver. Even Safe Mode is out of action!! Which is why this makes no sense to me. (Have tried old and "latest" drivers. Also tried standard VGA - which should always work with anything....)

What makes even less sense is.... the video card seems to work perfectly in a old P4 1.7Ghz PC. Works with 17" CRT, 17" TFT (vga), 24" Dell WS (DVI-I).

When in the MSI motherboard... neither DVI-I or VGA will work on the big screen. Very weird....

(Yes - molex attached to video card.)

My only thought is either: There is something wrong with the AGP socket that was never spotted when using the 5900. Or, more likely, there is some BIOS fix that is required.

What is it about Sod's Law of Computing? Spend all week fixing everyone else's PC.... but when I buy a simple upgrade for myself, it all goes FUBAR. :confused: :D

Back
Top Bottom