1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The name of this forum

Discussion in 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects' started by Mattus, 10 Jul 2006.

1. Mattus

Capodecina

Just been thinking. This forum's called 'Team OcUK BOINC and Other Distributed Computing Projects' - kinda a monument to the glory days of BOINC. Now though, the title doesn't exactly represent the forum - on the front page at the moment, 23 of the 25 threads are Folding-related. Is it time for a change to something like 'Team OcUK [email protected] and Other Distributed Computing Projects'?

2. oceaness

Wise Guy

Theres still a hell of a seti team though most of them don't seem to post here much, if at all.

I think it would be best just to call it OcUK Distributed Computing or something generic like that.

3. Mattus

Capodecina

Yeah. Our Seti team is still more powerful than our Folding team, but most of the Seti members don't seem to be interested in the forum. I recognise most of the names on the [email protected] stats from the forum, but I looked at the Seti stats and most of them I'd never heard of.

4. PhilthyPhil

Mobster

I think if the name were to be changed it would be best just to call it the distributed computing forum or something. Also the current description 'Discuss BOINC and other distributed computing projects...' is inaccurate since BOINC is not a distributed computing project!

5. Berserker

Man of Honour

Pedant. :p

I have no problem with shortening the name, but obvious, the Admins of this here forum have the final say.

6. Biffa

Man of Honour

I'd have no problem just calling it "Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects" :D

7. Mattus

Capodecina

I agree. Maybe just 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing'. :cool:

8. SiriusB

Capodecina

The masses [read: 7 people] have spoken! The Admins must heed our design opinions!

:D

SiriusB

9. TheDogFather

Mobster

Whilst a Setier till it dies (or it kills me :p) I'm in agreement 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing' or similar would be a better description.

TDF.

10. diogenese

Mobster

I'll put my name down in support of the above namechange too. Bring back pre nuke simplicity!:)

That'll confuse some of the youngsters here:D

11. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

Care to explain to us n00bs, ye ol' goat?

12. happytechie

Soldato

it used to be the distibuted computing forum back in the days when men were men, DC was SETI and AMD chips were nervous.

bah these n00bs :rolleyes: ;)

HT

13. rich99million

Sgarrista

I always thought TOSAH was kinda good :p
    Though maybe that was just the admin's view of us types

'Team OcUK Distributed Computing' sounds good to me - should also stop the need for any further name changes until the end of time :)
    (or until Seti kills TDF when it will become the 'TDF memorial forum') :p

post nuke here - but only just :cool:

14. happytechie

Soldato

I've just had a moment of clarity and whilst this forum is meant to be about DC projects perhaps the alylum or the nuthouse would be more appropriate for us lot?

Hi my name's Paul and I'm a distributed computing addict :D

Paul

15. Joe42

Mobster

I agree its in need of a change.
    However i think it could do with having the word folding in it, and preferably either seti or boinc aswell. A lot more people know what those are, not so many people know what distrubuted computing is.
    I'll have a think and see if i can come up with anything short enough that says the right thing.

Edit: How about this.
    Team OcUK Distributed Computing (Folding, BOINC, Seti and others)

I'm not sure if thats a little too long.
    Would need to change the description too. Currently its this.
    Discuss Folding, Seti, Boinc and other distributed computing projects with members of The World's Finest Team™

Last edited: 11 Jul 2006
  16. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

Title: Team OcUK Distributed Computing Nuthouse
    Monkier: Discuss OcUK's DC efforts with members of The World's Finest Team™

17. Joe42

Mobster

The moniker is good, would prefer to replace 'nuthouse' with some mention of folding if possible. Don't want to put potential new members off...

18. diogenese

Mobster

Some time in the dim and distant past the forum was called the distibuted computing forum, then in october 2002 the forums were "nuked" with a big red button and restarted afresh. That's the forum name changed to it's more verbose title. I've been here since september 1999 when seti first got going:o

19. Trick

Mobster

Pre-nuke here, or at least I used to access OcUK before the nuke whilst at Uni. Didn't register until a year afterward though. Folding does seem to be the forum's project of choice at the moment so it'd be nice to reflect that but we don't want to alienate the SETI/BOINC'ers who probably drop in now and again to lurk.

20. Mikey1280

Wise Guy

Not really bothered about the name tbh but I think 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects would be good.

Off Topic: anyone got any 7xx projects recently, just got 2 and they are running at 90ppd :(