The nervous wait to exchange....

Caporegime
The survey mentions a crack in the mortar in one corner that has been repaired and not reopened, and states its likely cause is a gutter draining onto the driveway that has broken up and may be eroding the soil underneath. Its only flagged as a 2 on the report and we are already planning to both redo the drive (and repair anything under it) plus divert the down pipe away from the area.

Were hoping they were just a bit stupid and claimed on insurance for a bloke to come and repoint a crack. But we shall see. If its something else entirely then the bloke who did our survey and our solicitor are going to get it in the neck too!

Last edited:
Soldato
The survey mentions a crack in the mortar in one corner that has been repaired and not reopened, and states its likely cause is a gutter draining onto the driveway that has broken up and may be eroding the soil underneath. Its only flagged as a 2 on the report and we are already planning to both redo the drive (and repair anything under it) plus divert the down pipe away from the area.

Were hoping they were just a bit stupid and claimed on insurance for a bloke to come and repoint a crack. But we shall see. If its something else entirely then the bloke who did our survey and our solicitor are going to get it in the neck too!

Depends on the survey and you cannot expect a surveyor to see beyond what he cannot get to!

Lets hope it is as you say.

Caporegime
Heard back from the Estate Agent this morning and this is the first he has heard of any subsidance work or a claim on the insurance. So he's now off to gather all the information from the Vendors, and we will see what the insurance company come back with.

Associate
Heard back from the Estate Agent this morning and this is the first he has heard of any subsidance work or a claim on the insurance. So he's now off to gather all the information from the Vendors, and we will see what the insurance company come back with.

Yikes, Hope this gets easily cleared up for yourself.

Caporegime
Panic over.

When the current owners noticed the crack in 2013 they contacted their insurer to see how best to proceed. The insurer recomended getting a surveyour to check for subsidance. They had a survey done and found no subsidance, just a crack due to the conservatory settling. The recomendation was to get the crack repaired which the owners did without going through insurance.

But the insurer have listed this as a claim against them for subsidance. The owners have actually made a formal complaint against the insurer for this back in 2013. No claim was made, no pay out was made, and no subsidance was noted by the surveyor. I expect this is where the insurance companies open a file and leave it as a pending claim until they are satisfied it isn't one, and they likely didn't close it.

We have all this detail from the sellers, and they are going to send over the survey too. So hopefully this will be confirmed by the insurance company and we can get insurance done.

So scare over. Bloody insurance companies!

Caporegime
Admiral (our chosen insurer) have contacted Direct Line (the sellers previous insurer who erroniously marked this as a claim) and have confirmed it isn't a claim. So Admiral have ignored the claim on record and happily provided us with cover at the quoted price.

So all is good currently. If we shift providers in the future then we have enough detail to pass them to Direct Line should they need to check this again.

Its just one big ongoing saga! I totally understand why people say moving is the most stressful thing you can do! This whole process as made me and my GF ill! I'll be so glad when its over.

Soldato
Admiral (our chosen insurer) have contacted Direct Line (the sellers previous insurer who erroniously marked this as a claim) and have confirmed it isn't a claim. So Admiral have ignored the claim on record and happily provided us with cover at the quoted price.

So all is good currently. If we shift providers in the future then we have enough detail to pass them to Direct Line should they need to check this again.

Its just one big ongoing saga! I totally understand why people say moving is the most stressful thing you can do! This whole process as made me and my GF ill! I'll be so glad when its over.

I understand as this is our 5th move in 30yrs!!!

We are selling and moving to Father-In-Laws until we can find what we like, or buy his.

Got an issue at the moment ourselves regarding Land Reg. Its a pain in the butt and very very stressful! Even after going through the process several times before it doesnt get any easier!

Hope all works out fine for you.

Soldato
Keys on Friday for us, so thankfully that it's gone pretty smoothly, 1 month 17 days from getting our offer accepted.

Now to spend a small fortune on stuff to fill it, but first, a small celebration meal and drink is in order.

Back
Top Bottom