The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Is it not a whole new application? Or after it's been accepted can you decide "oh btw I don't want a x year fixed I'll take a 2 year tracker".

Whole new application for mortgage (I imagine, will be a different company y to get the best deal). I've got a broker doing it (on commission) which saves hassle. Seems ok to me as the previous application only took about 4 weeks to sort.

Soldato
And we are back on the merry-go-round.

Listed our property for sale on Monday 18th July. Circa 16 Viewings and then accepted an offer for asking price on Saturday 6th August.

We'd seen the house we wanted the Thursday before we went on the market. It was still available after we accepted the offer on our property on Saturday, so we nipped round to view it again. A bit of a sanity check on Sunday checking anything else that was available resulted in us putting in an offer yesterday. Bit of negotiation on Monday morning, and it was sold.

I won't put any right move links in till exchange else I'll be tempting fate, but very happy. Our buyers are 5 weeks in to their sale to a FTB, and we are buying a property with no onward chain. Hoping we can do this nice and quickly.

Soldato
How long would be a good time to put a second off in after the first offer is rejected?

After our first offer was rejected the only feedback we got was the seller is looking closer to the asking price?

That sound like they are willing to go lower? Considering the house on sale is a price but offers over. Also this house has already been reduced at the viewing the family seemed keen on moving onto a bigger house asap. I have a feeling they want to be sold and in a new house for christmas...

Also as me and my gf are first time buyers and we basically have no idea what we are doing :) when is a good idea to start getting solicitors, mortgage brokers etc all involved? We have an Agreement in Principle and thats it...

Thanks for any tips.

Soldato
As soon as your offer is accepted, get the ball rolling.

I always have a 2nd offer in mind when I find out the first is rejected (and then tell them thats the most I can go to but I really like the house) and I want the house removed from the market etc.. if accepted)

I went £5k under the asking price (£235k) and no chain on either side, depending on where you are and your position, negotiating can be easy.

Associate
What did you offer orignally? Over the asking or under? "Closer to asking" suggests you lowballed under the asking price even though it's "offers over"

If you're already over the asking then just raise it a few thousand depending what you're comfortable with and how much you really want it.

Soldato
I'd be offering well under asking at the moment, definitely a buyers market :)

When it comes to buying my first house I've got a very strict set of requirements so I'm expecting I'll be offering near, if not at or above, asking price to get it. Only 1 property in the county at the moment... Not for another year or 2 yet though.

Soldato
We expected a completion date for this week. Still no sign of it.
Told the estate agent to call me back by the end of the day with reasons. No phone call.
Our solicitor is despairing at the sellers solicitor, she thinks she doesn't know what she's doing.
So if we don't get what we want by Friday, we're pulling out. 4 months have been wasted on this so far and now we have to rent again. No chain either!

Soldato
2nd offer was turned down, however EA basically asked if we could go higher and do we want them to re submit the same offer.

Seems odd to almost offer to re submit a figure that was supposedly rejected.

We are obviously going to discuss what me and my GF can do, but not sure whether to offer the same as a final or not...

Soldato
So if we don't get what we want by Friday, we're pulling out.

Never understood this decision. You've spent 4 months (and considerable money) getting to this point, why pull out now even if the whole situation it is annoying you?

Only times I've ever managed to get to the bottom of it with clients doing this is when it turns out they didn't actually like the house enough to start with and it's basically given them an excuse to withdraw from a purchase they weren't happy with.

Soldato
Nobody has lived there for 6 months and with the food in the cupboards, there are mice everywhere.
The whole thing should have been completed last month really but they keep delaying. We have to spend more and more to get the house back up to scratch so might as well cut our losses now and let them waste someone else's time.

We're going back to them with a revised offer due to their delays (and then we can put the excess to rent)

Soldato
I'd have been asking them to get rid of the food when you first had your offer accepted if that's the case :eek: hindsight though..

Revised offer seems like the way to go. Is it a probate sale?

Soldato
Valuation took place this morning and had a phone call from our mortgage broker to say Halifax had accepted the valuation and made a full 'mortgage offer' I assume just accepting the amount we asked for.

Now I'm guessing it's all in the hands of the Solicitors!

Back
Top Bottom