The nervous wait to exchange....

Associate
Got away with it didn’t they? Jolly good.

If they did then good! and I don't give a flying fig... We were with our previous agents for 16 weeks, which was the contract period [and they were rubbish]. We then moved to a new agent, who did a completely different set of details (photos etc.) and pitch/marketing for the property. If that's not a 'new instruction' I don't know what is?... and they pay Rightmove, Zoopla ect, so everyone's a winner are they not?... no one is being conned here :rolleyes:

Why this bothers you is baffling and rather sad... Anyway, 'exchanged' and we move on the 28th of Nov.

Exchanged today and we get the keys on the 30th :D :D :D

Nice!... Good luck to you, and all the others getting in before Christmas... by the skin of their teeth :eek:

Associate
they can carry me out in a box.

Ha-ha... I said the same thing to my wife two days ago. We have wanted to move to Cornwall, and would have done so this time if the right property had come-up (it's even deader there than in Devon) so, we have put it off... but, after this I never want to go through the trauma again :(

However, as she pointed out, it's like childbirth.... you forget the pain and do again :p so maybe I'll change my mind in a few years.

I just wish the whole process could be made easier and quicker.... and I keep being told by people who have lived and bought in other countries that it is much better elsewhere, so, why not here?

Soldato
If they did then good! and I don't give a flying fig... We were with our previous agents for 16 weeks, which was the contract period [and they were rubbish]. We then moved to a new agent, who did a completely different set of details (photos etc.) and pitch/marketing for the property. If that's not a 'new instruction' I don't know what is?... and they pay Rightmove, Zoopla ect, so everyone's a winner are they not?... no one is being conned here :rolleyes:

Why this bothers you is baffling and rather sad... Anyway, 'exchanged' and we move on the 28th of Nov.

Nice!... Good luck to you, and all the others getting in before Christmas... by the skin of their teeth :eek:

It bothers me for the same reason the law was brought in. It’s false advertising and that’s the end of it. It’s conning the general viewing public into thinking its a new instruction when it isn’t. It’s unfair on the competition and this in direct breach of marketing laws.

It’s not your fault and you are not to blame per se but given your comments you are absolutely complicit. Your agent knew well what it was doing and shouldn’t have. In all likelihood the previous agent has followed protocol and reported your agent to Rightmove who in turn will treat the matter as they see fit. It will not affect you and that’s fortunate for you as currently there is no redress against the home owner but that won’t always be the case. Anyway let’s leave it there - congratulations on your move and I hope you are very happy.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
You pay stamp duty on completion, so if you haven't completed then you will only pay the new rate (or none at all if it's <£300k).

Soldato
Damn, looks like I dont qualify and will still have to pay SD :/
Bought a house jointly with the ex-mrs in the past and divorced so no longer classed as a first time buyer.

Damn, could have had more money to spend on Black Friday.

Soldato
4th time applying for a mortgage, got into bad debt when I was younger and have been refused a mortgage 3 times.

My appointment went ok, they said with the deposit I have now plus the new wages I’m earning I should be ok. :)

Ah, Great stuff then, a good Financial Advisor makes things a lot easier I must say, especially in less than straight forward circumstances. First time round I went direct to the a bank, this time I didn't and it's been a breeze from that side.

Associate
You pay stamp duty on completion, so if you haven't completed then you will only pay the new rate (or none at all if it's <£300k).

I don't think this is true. Yes you pay on completion but it is calculated on exchange. Speak to solicitor but I'm 99% if you exchanged before yesterday you will pay old rate of stamp, no exceptions.

Soldato
I don't think this is true. Yes you pay on completion but it is calculated on exchange. Speak to solicitor but I'm 99% if you exchanged before yesterday you will pay old rate of stamp, no exceptions.
Incorrect.

Stamp duty is calculated on the effective date of the transaction, which is the completion date. It even expressly states on the gov.uk page that you get relief if "you complete your purchase on or after 22 November 2017"

Soldato
We are still looking, the market has completely come to a standstill with the run up to Christmas so I think our search will resume in the new year. I have a sneaky suspicion the house we wanted but fell through will turn up again.

Soldato
Exchanged today, complete next week. Put in our offer at the end of September so that's not too bad.

Finally get our own home, at the young age of....err........28.

Man of Honour
Damn, looks like I dont qualify and will still have to pay SD :/
Bought a house jointly with the ex-mrs in the past and divorced so no longer classed as a first time buyer.

Do you still own the house? If not then I think you may well qualify; that's how the additional rate works anyway, so check it out in case. For example, if you still owned the house you would be liable for the additional rate, but if you no longer own it then you would only pay the normal rate. (Or if you still own it, but then sell it soon after, you would be entitled to a refund of the additional rate component.)

Soldato
Do you still own the house? If not then I think you may well qualify; that's how the additional rate works anyway, so check it out in case. For example, if you still owned the house you would be liable for the additional rate, but if you no longer own it then you would only pay the normal rate. (Or if you still own it, but then sell it soon after, you would be entitled to a refund of the additional rate component.)
Nope. To qualify for first time buyer relief you have to declare that you do not currently, and never have previously, owned property.

Man of Honour
quick question when making a low(very low) offer would you say why you are putting a low offer in, it's been advertised for almost 6 months?

Back
Top Bottom