The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Do you have to climb through the window to get into the study? :D
Haha.... We went to view the property originally as I was curious about that. I was kind of hoping there was a Firemans pole or something to enter the room but alas they simply missed the door off of the plan.

Associate
Looking for some help and advice if anyone has had this happen to them...

We moved house towards the end of last year. Due to complete on a Friday, the solicitors messed up and we ended up in the unfortunate situation at 5pm having sold our property and nowhere to live. So it was a weekend in a hotel until we could complete on Monday. The bank supplied a letter listing the events from their file, the solicitor had not completed the Certificate of Title correctly in the days prior and the bank was then unable to get a response until it was too late.

I'm claiming £628 compensation for expenses and losses for 3 adults, 1 child and 1 dog. The solicitors have offered £300 which is for hotel and basic supplies. Doesn't include food and additional days rental for van/storage. They said its "up to yourselves to mitigate your losses".

Any advice on what we should be entitled to claim?
My advice, don't move house on a Friday.....

Soldato
Sounds cut and dry from your/the bank's version of events. Have the solicitors given their explanation ? We've all cocked up with a request for mortgage funds at some point but you move the earth to sort it out.

The complaints procedure for solicitors is such a huge time consuming ballache that if they are at fault I'd be surprised they wouldn't just agree to compensate you assuming your losses are quantified.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

We moved house towards the end of last year. Due to complete on a Friday, the solicitors messed up and we ended up in the unfortunate situation at 5pm having sold our property and nowhere to live. So it was a weekend in a hotel until we could complete on Monday. The bank supplied a letter listing the events from their file, the solicitor had not completed the Certificate of Title correctly in the days prior and the bank was then unable to get a response until it was too late.

I'm claiming £628 compensation for expenses and losses for 3 adults, 1 child and 1 dog. The solicitors have offered £300 which is for hotel and basic supplies. Doesn't include food and additional days rental for van/storage. They said its "up to yourselves to mitigate your losses".

Doesn't sound worth pursuing for the £328 difference?

Man of Honour
Not sure you could claim food as you'd had to have fed yourselves over the weekend anyway, unless it was a case of you had food that perished because you couldn't move it to the new property. Storage is a different matter and I would have thought there is a case there - typically where a chain is broken the party made homeless will arrange for a third party to cover their storage costs (whether that be direct from the buyer or I have even seen an estate agent do this to ensure completion).

Soldato
I had a case a few years back (when the CHAPS cut off was still 3:30pm) where the solicitors in the chain beneath us had their payment pulled by the bank for anti-fraud. Took hours for them to sort it out and by the time the money arrived with us (completing the client's sale) it was past the cut off to complete his purchase. He had to stay in a B&B overnight and the solicitors beneath us foot the bill.

Associate
Viewed a flat in a little village, but it is above a sandwich shop, which is adjacent to a Chinese takeaway.
I've been advised that it's not the best choice, and my lender options will be restricted because of it, because of the difficulty to sell onward.

Has anyone had the experience of trying to resell a flat above commercial premises?
Although I was thinking I'd probably let out the property when the time comes.

Isn't this just the nightmare scenario!
Everyones advice is dont move house on a friday, but its the hardest day to book with removals people at short notice so I guess most people move... on a friday!

As far as what you are entitled to claim, that could be contract dependent, does it specifically mention anything?

The cost is tricky, you should be reasonable, as should they, you couldn't be reasonably expected to fit all those into one travel lodge room, but likewise you wouldn't be expected to go and stay in 3 luxury penthouses.
Time is obviously an issue, as short notice finding a hotel to cater for that isn't always cheap.
Food, obviously again you should be reasonable if your expecting someone else to pay so you should have limited the impact as much as was reasonably possible.

You should claim for all consequential losses and expect to haggle downwards. So hotel, any excess travelling, extra storage, and penalty fees from removers etc

Personally I would reply with a letter clearly stating "without prejudice" you offer to accept as a full and final settlement £475, as long as its received by the end of Jan.

Viewed a flat in a little village, but it is above a sandwich shop, which is adjacent to a Chinese takeaway.
I've been advised that it's not the best choice, and my lender options will be restricted because of it, because of the difficulty to sell onward.

Has anyone had the experience of trying to resell a flat above commercial premises?
Although I was thinking I'd probably let out the property when the time comes.

Its not such a bad choice if you like sarnies and a takeaway though.

Lots of people would dislike based on location thats for sure.
Ie you may get some noise late at night, depending on locals appetite for getting wrecked and having a takeout late at night
Living above the sandwich shop isnt bad, you wouldnt expect noise from them other than what 9am-5pm or so. That sounds like a good neighbour to me :)

In this scenario I would take a trip along at 11:45 or so one sat night and see how busy it is, and maybe a weeknight also.
Your worst case scenario is the local kids hang out there as they just buy chips / coke (canned variety) etc and make a menace of themselves.

Soldato
Just had word that my revised offer was accepted. The house does need a load of work but I didn't want a ready made home, I'd only go in and rip it all out anyway.

This one is dated inside but is a great size and has driveway/garage and room to extend, everything else in my budget was tiny with limited land.

Got 15k off the original asking price in total. Based on what the property was actually valued at, it gives me enough headroom to do the work needed and still have some equity.

Soldato
Is it ok to leave some items in a sold property? Specifically i'm thinking washing machine & dishwasher. If the buyer didn't choose to pay for them as optional extras (presumably they have their own), but it's just hassle for me to get rid of them before completion... I can try and sell them, but otherwise it's probably £45 for council rubbish collection. Anything bad happen if I leave them behind on completion?

Soldato
Is it ok to leave some items in a sold property? Specifically i'm thinking washing machine & dishwasher. If the buyer didn't choose to pay for them as optional extras (presumably they have their own), but it's just hassle for me to get rid of them before completion... I can try and sell them, but otherwise it's probably £45 for council rubbish collection. Anything bad happen if I leave them behind on completion?

I have left them in the past. Just make sure they are clean and useable

FNG

FNG

Associate

You really should check with the buyer. Strictly speaking, everything should be out. And if the buyer moves in with their own stuff and can't plumb it in before they have shifted your stuff they might be a bit peeved.

Soldato
You really should check with the buyer. Strictly speaking, everything should be out. And if the buyer moves in with their own stuff and can't plumb it in before they have shifted your stuff they might be a bit peeved.

Ok thanks, makes sense and I will get rid of them :)

Soldato
Congrats pal. Where about are you heading this time?

Cheers Marv, I was looking around where my old flat was... if you can remember that far back.

I really liked that area and found a nice big terraced house just over the road from the estate my flat was on, but my offer was a bit low and got rejected. Could have gone in higher but research on house prices and the amount of work it needed, I didn't really want to go much more.

This one is a little further out towards Middlebrook but is a semi on a corner plot. Back garden is an ok size but the front and side gardens are pretty vast and could easily take a double garage and still have a nice big front garden. I've got some great plans for it!

Bit of a long story but been in limbo a bit these last 2 years with all of my stuff in storage so can't wait to get settled somewhere.

Chorley isn't far at all so we'll have to meet up once I've moved in!

Soldato
Yeah i think I remember. It was just behind those cross roads on the A6 wasn’t it (I know there are lots of crossroads on it but hopefully that’s enough!)

We’re also in the process of moving. Have just seen an amazing house in Higher Walton near Preston. Our only concern is the area doesn’t look the greatest around there.

Still not far away though so be easy enough to catch up.

Soldato
Yep, that's the one, near the pub and Tesco Express. Really liked that area and the estate was nice. I was lucky to get one of the more spacious flats, really miss that place.

I used to live in Fulwood so know that area quite well. Spent a fair bit of time around Lostock Hall and Bamber Bridge and it didn't seem too bad, still know a few people who live there and have no complaints. Didn't realise until recently that where I lived in Fulwood has pretty terrible crime stats haha. I lived there for 3 years and didn't have any problems.

What are your concerns? Crime?

Back
Top Bottom