The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
The Wife and I were due to sign the paperwork tomorrow, on our next home - but the Solicitor for the buyer has only just come back with a list of demands to have our asking price reduced; I cannot help but feel that this is quite a dirty under-handed technique to wangle some money off!

Everything had been going great so far- other than "the searches" which took in excess of 6 weeks to all come back! And we were looking to be sitting pretty - FTBs going for our place, and the owner of the house we bought, are both retired - so buying their next place with cash. Our buyers had even footed the cost of having a separate electrician's report done - something quite rare according to our Estate Agent.

It seems though, that the Homebuyer report the FTB's had purchased, may have had a fair amount of copying and pasting done - as there are a few glaring issues with it; the biggest is that they claim he have wooden fascias that will need to be repaired/replaced - to which the Solicitor for the FTB's is asking for over a grand off! The only issue is that we are mid-terrace, have bricks all the way up to the roof, and have no fascias anywhere....

I have responded to our Estate Agent to advise them we will offer £1,000 off as a goodwill gesture, and will purchase any necessary indemnity policies.

Hey ho, I guess we are back to the nervous wait to exchange :(

Soldato
My flat is pregressing fine as far as I can tell, solicitors are talking and both sides are pushing to get it done by the end of October, hopefully nothing goes wrong in the meantime that causes issues as I also had an offer accepted on a house yesterday! That's chain free onwards so I'm hoping for all hopes that it again goes quickly and although it would be nice to be in before Christmas, I wouldn't expect it until January. It will be such a transition going from a 1 bed flat to a 3 bed family with a garden.

Nerves really kicking in now to hope any if the inevitable issues that come up are not enough to cause anything to fail

- GP

Associate
Sounds great @GhostlyPea hopefully your sale and purchase go smoothly.

We had all our contract and purchase information yesterday, reading through it there is so much conflicting information between what the seller is saying and what is in the deeds and contract. I can't believe for one minute that the seller never knew about the PROW. They bought the property to refurbish, reading the planning consent from 2018 for the building works for the bedroom and ensuite extension, there is a whole page from the Public Rights of Way Officer telling them they shouldn't block off any PROW (sure this text was a standard set of words and checking the planning portal there is nothing from the Officer noted against the Planning Consent).

Anyway, its out of our hands now, the issue has been highlighted to our lender so we're waiting to see what conditions they put on the mortgage offer (assuming they don't retract the offer :eek: )

Soldato
My flat is pregressing fine as far as I can tell, solicitors are talking and both sides are pushing to get it done by the end of October, hopefully nothing goes wrong in the meantime that causes issues as I also had an offer accepted on a house yesterday! That's chain free onwards so I'm hoping for all hopes that it again goes quickly and although it would be nice to be in before Christmas, I wouldn't expect it until January. It will be such a transition going from a 1 bed flat to a 3 bed family with a garden.

Nerves really kicking in now to hope any if the inevitable issues that come up are not enough to cause anything to fail

- GP

I feel you, we have a relatively small chain (3 of us) and i'm hoping there is no hiccups regarding our FTB, literally fingers crossed.

Associate
For a bit of a laugh...
Had the contents form through, signed April 4th. Along with a list from my solicitor mentioning missing details and paperwork from the sellers.

In the contents form it says "rotary line", they've ticked "included", then crossed it out and ticked "none." Everything in the pictures of value is ticked as "none", as opposed to "not included".

The old washing line, xD
The house is inherited so you'd expect the sons and daughter in their 50s to already have a clothes line. Made me laugh. "Oh no, actually, we'll have that".

Associate
Having a bloody nightmare here......was due to exchange last Friday, but was then informed the buyer at the bottom of the chain has pulled out (our buyers buyer). Reason being an issue with the lease on our buyers house, only 90 years left........why it's taken them three months to suss this out is so frustrating (I could have easily sold to somebody else in the interim).

So, house back on the market - chap we are buying off has given us some grace, and those above him too so probably got two or three weeks to hopefully find another buyer.

We are selling a 250k detached house, so I'm hoping the stamp duty freeze will help move it along - previous sale was agreed before this came in (and only took about three weeks to sell at that juncture).

Associate
Possibly the buyer thought everything was good, then a random chat with a friend/coworker/pub goer asks how long the lease was, and mentioned why that makes a big difference. It's like how buyers in the various schemes and also new builds come across as a good idea, until you read up on the potential problems they can have.

Not an excuse, but a possible reason and very annoying.

Soldato
The Wife and I were due to sign the paperwork tomorrow, on our next home - but the Solicitor for the buyer has only just come back with a list of demands to have our asking price reduced; I cannot help but feel that this is quite a dirty under-handed technique to wangle some money off

This is a very common thing. They know you are desperate to move, so it's a good time to put the screws on.

Soldato
Waiting for the engineer, drainage, and woodworm surveys back....then hopefully just negotiating a few thousand off for whatever work needs doing (which the seller has said they are fine with), then hopefully we can get this done and dusted in the next few weeks.

Soldato
We're finally getting towards the end of it all now. The house appears to be complete (I get dragged up to the building site every other day) from the outside and some point this week the house will be getting signed off by NHBC (presumably someone just walks around with a clipboard and makes sure the house isn't made completely of cheese) and once that happens we get served notice of 10 days before we can move in. Hopefully that means in about 3 weeks we'll be in our first house.

From December 28th until this point, especially with everything that has been going on, it's been a whirlwind ride. Can't wait til it's all over!

Caporegime
We're finally getting towards the end of it all now. The house appears to be complete (I get dragged up to the building site every other day) from the outside and some point this week the house will be getting signed off by NHBC (presumably someone just walks around with a clipboard and makes sure the house isn't made completely of cheese) and once that happens we get served notice of 10 days before we can move in. Hopefully that means in about 3 weeks we'll be in our first house.

From December 28th until this point, especially with everything that has been going on, it's been a whirlwind ride. Can't wait til it's all over!

Just catching up. Because you went through it as I was. Did you get any stamp duty break?

I still have loads of decorating to do. So even though you were in later. At least yours is all done!

Soldato
Got my structural engineer's report back. As I suspected, the HomeBuyer's report was a load of nonsense. Still a couple of things to sort out and the buyer still wants a first half of October completion so I'm negotiating with then on reducing the offer a little. Fun times.

Associate
Finally completing this time next week! As it's a new build, we get a "house demo" tomorrow and it will actually be the first time we've been able to go inside our house! Very excited about it now :)

Soldato
Finally completing this time next week! As it's a new build, we get a "house demo" tomorrow and it will actually be the first time we've been able to go inside our house! Very excited about it now :)

Ah amazing! We're expecting our house demo to be next week. Waiting on a phone call this week to confirm it has all been signed off by the NHBC.

I assume you had to do the same, do you know how long that took? We've been in the house once so far and that was a few weeks ago to have a look around but it will be nice to see it finished with all of our choices

Back
Top Bottom