The nervous wait to exchange....

Still waiting on our buyers to book their survey. :( Apparently their mortgage is going well and they've had their fees taken so it's just a case of "when".

Our mortgage is all sorted and paper work received, survey done on the place we're buying and I think our vendor is moving on well with his.

Chased our agent and solicitors yesterday with promises of call backs... nothing as yet.

I think I speak for the Mrs when I say we're definitely popping a cork when this is all over!

noj

noj

Associate
OP
Still waiting on our buyers to book their survey. :( Apparently their mortgage is going well and they've had their fees taken so it's just a case of "when".

some of the delay is probably caused by a lack of surveyors. The guy who came round to do the one on our current house was saying how a load of surveyors got laid off when the market slumped and now they have too much work on.

I asked how many he had to do a day and he said they have to do at least 9 points worth...a valuation is 3 and a hom******s is 6.

Soldato
Fingers crossed we're completing on our house purchase tomorrow. Exchanged last Monday. Offer was accepted on 7th of February. I thought everything was going to race through, but I have to admit we were in no real rush to move out of our rented accommodation and so didn't put as much pressure on as I did with my last purchase. All in all I think the actual moving will be more stressful than the purchase! Got some plans for the place but will get in first.

Good luck to everyone else who is in this tiresome process.

Noj - I think the delay is down to their mortgage company doing the underwriting before the valuation, fairly common apparently.

Tom - likewise, got so many ideas and plans to put into action. That's the most frustrating bit for me. Proper champing at the bit to start a thread up!

Soldato
woah! things just moved quite quickly in the last few days. Our mortgage was agreed pending valuation a few days ago (6th) and the banks valuation survey was instructed, send back and approved with a formal offer being sent out to us today! after the length of time it's taken for them to do most things I wasn't expecting so much to be turned around in 3 days.

Nice! I live in hope that the same happens for us shortly!

Heard yesterday that our buyer's lender likes to underwrite before instructing valuations/surveys which is why we've not heard much, plus they've got a sizeable backlog to work through. Should be hearing from them in the next couple of days though.

Once that's done our solicitor thinks it'll be full steam ahead to exchange, and then only a week or two at the tops to complete. I've never wanted to pack boxes and write change of address cards as much as I do now.

Soldato
Nice! I live in hope that the same happens for us shortly!

Heard yesterday that our buyer's lender likes to underwrite before instructing valuations/surveys which is why we've not heard much, plus they've got a sizeable backlog to work through. Should be hearing from them in the next couple of days though.

Once that's done our solicitor thinks it'll be full steam ahead to exchange, and then only a week or two at the tops to complete. I've never wanted to pack boxes and write change of address cards as much as I do now.

get packing then! we've done about 45 boxes and have not even made a dent. Our mortgage was going very slowly because of the backlog, but they seem to be through the worst of it now - it's because of all the regulation changes.

Associate
Got meeting with the lawyers on Tuesday. Everything going swimmingly really apart from bad spelling on Missus' middle name so bank needs to sort that out but really really hoping to move on the 23rd. Everything looks like it is done bar the exchange and completion.
Gratz to the guys just ahead and just behind me.

get packing then! we've done about 45 boxes and have not even made a dent. Our mortgage was going very slowly because of the backlog, but they seem to be through the worst of it now - it's because of all the regulation changes.

I wish, I'm not one to tempt fate though. If I was that way inclined I'd be putting a sizeable order in for the toys that are going into the lounge lol. :D

noj

noj

Associate
OP
woah! things just moved quite quickly in the last few days. Our mortgage was agreed pending valuation a few days ago (6th) and the banks valuation survey was instructed, send back and approved with a formal offer being sent out to us today! after the length of time it's taken for them to do most things I wasn't expecting so much to be turned around in 3 days.

good to hear :)

hopefully your on the home straight (sorry for the bad pun!)

we've had the mortgage offer received by our conveyancer and they're just sorting out a couple of questions we asked. Not heard from the people buying from us yet about the bits we're hoping to sell them, trying not to be greedy with money but we could really do with selling them the range cooker so we can buy a fridge :D

We've asked to go back for a look round the one we're buying before exchange just to check a couple of bits and to measure up for appliances in the kitchen.

As to packing...get to it already :D

At least start going through stuff and getting rid of the bits you don't want to take with you.

We're paying for people to do a compete pack and removal. Its going to cost us £200 more but well worth it

Caporegime
Sounds like quite a few of us are at the same stage :)

Luckly i have nothing to pack, this will be a second home for 6 months till we get round to renting out our current house.

Which also means we can do some work on it, without living in a diy site.

Soldato
Picked up the keys today! Just got to survive a weekend of nights before the big move on Monday. The advantage should be that my other half might do the majority of the packing while I'm asleep :D

As usual it's never quite the same as when you've looked at it before but the previous owner has left it in a decent state. One area of concern appears to be a damp patch on the upstairs bedroom wall which is probably a loose tile. Well hidden by a large wardrobe previously! I'm sure it won't be a huge problem to fix.

Soldato
good to hear :)

hopefully your on the home straight (sorry for the bad pun!)

we've had the mortgage offer received by our conveyancer and they're just sorting out a couple of questions we asked. Not heard from the people buying from us yet about the bits we're hoping to sell them, trying not to be greedy with money but we could really do with selling them the range cooker so we can buy a fridge :D

We've asked to go back for a look round the one we're buying before exchange just to check a couple of bits and to measure up for appliances in the kitchen.
//snip//
Who did you ask to see the house again to measure up? I need to do this too but not sure if I need to ask AE or solicitor.

Picked up the keys today!

Also picked up the keys today :)

well done chaps!

noj

noj

Associate
OP
Who did you ask to see the house again to measure up? I need to do this too but not sure if I need to ask AE or solicitor.

Just asked the AE. It was good to go round again, took the measurements we wanted and had a chance to think about where we want bits to go.

It also gave us the chance to check on a couple of bits that we were told were being fixed (and haven't yet)

Associate
I've just gone through the same process.
I put an offer in for a 5 bed semi on the 8th Jan. Finally got the keys on the 2nd May.
Moved last weekend. Still unpacking this weekend.

No kids. Just me and the wife and our chocolate Lab.
Time to build up my man cave :)

Associate
Got a good offer on our house, buyers in a good position and offered above asking price.

Had an offer accepted on a house, below asking price

Paperwork on the go, now got that nervous wait until exchange of contracts. Want to get excited by the prospect but worried it'll all fall through :( The new house is twice the size of our current house and I'll be able to have a proper man cave whilst the Mrs has a room and we still have a guest room.

Roll on exchange so I can get properly excited by it all

All the best Bud! It's a very nervous wait indeed!!!

However as snips put it! please Pictures of the MAN CAVE!!!!

It's funny how every guy who buys a house wants one!!

noj

noj

Associate
OP
All the best Bud! It's a very nervous wait indeed!!!

However as snips put it! please Pictures of the MAN CAVE!!!!

It's funny how every guy who buys a house wants one!!

Part of the reason to visit again this weekend with to measure up for where my desk will go and see what networking there was if any (there isn't).

At the moment the room the Wife is letting me have has a Fairy Princess four poster in it...as soon as we get to exchange I'll post some pictures of the place.

Associate
Possibly a stupid question but My missus has to work most of the day of our ideal moving date (not ideal anymore :() Does she need to be there if we are buying together or is everything signed before then so I can get the keys etc on my own?

Permabanned
Possibly a stupid question but My missus has to work most of the day of our ideal moving date (not ideal anymore :() Does she need to be there if we are buying together or is everything signed before then so I can get the keys etc on my own?

All the paperwork should be signed and sealed before the moving date so I would expect one of you can collect the keys at any point.

Back
Top Bottom