The nervous wait to exchange....

Man of Honour
Small chain here, our buyers have sold to a FTB and we have bought from a couple moving into an empty house. We instructed our solicitors on the 12th March so it's been a short while so far. We received the searches pack this morning and confirmation that it should be too long now, the solicitor is just waiting on some more details from the sellers side.
Our sellers solicitors have proposed the 18th of June for completion, so around 14 weeks. The date isn't confirmed yet however.

Associate
Finally some movement! Recieved contract packs today and have set a provisional completion date on 28th May, only 15 days away! Almost no movement for weeks and suddenly it's become quite real again. Also slightly bricking it at knowing how much work we've got to do to move, and how much work the house needs too!

Soldato
I've emailed about 8 different removals companies and only one has actually gotten back to me, and they can't even get someone to run through my requirements to put a quote together for 2 weeks. I've got a really big fear that lack of availability for removals could be a blocker here for many...

I can't even push too hard as we are probably not exchanging until the end of the month, with completion two weeks thereafter.

What's everyone else doing? I REALLY dont want to do a DIY move, and even then I can't imagine Van rental being any better mid-June

Soldato
Tried phoning them? I imagine they get loads of speculative email enquiries, a phone call may show you are a serious customer who they should quote for.

Soldato
Tried phoning them? I imagine they get loads of speculative email enquiries, a phone call may show you are a serious customer who they should quote for.

Phoned one so far and they couldn't even quote for two weeks, and wouldn't give me a list of days they're available in June to see if it's even worth bothering with a quote.

It does feel speculative getting a quote without me being able to agree on a date!

Soldato
Phoned one so far and they couldn't even quote for two weeks, and wouldn't give me a list of days they're available in June to see if it's even worth bothering with a quote.

It does feel speculative getting a quote without me being able to agree on a date!
A lot of them are chancing the business on a high quote then if you agree they just subcon their mates to do it.

Caporegime
I've emailed about 8 different removals companies and only one has actually gotten back to me, and they can't even get someone to run through my requirements to put a quote together for 2 weeks. I've got a really big fear that lack of availability for removals could be a blocker here for many...

I can't even push too hard as we are probably not exchanging until the end of the month, with completion two weeks thereafter.

What's everyone else doing? I REALLY dont want to do a DIY move, and even then I can't imagine Van rental being any better mid-June

We DIY'd, but I guess it depends on the amount fof stuff you have.

Hired a van, slightly cheaper through a friend, boxed everything up and moved it.

Thankfully the move was only like 10miles, but still :D

Soldato
I've moved quite a few times, used a removals company once and rented a van the rest of the time - removals companies are really worth the money for me :D I don't mind the actual moving part so much but HATE packing

Soldato
Meant to be moving on the 1st June. Been chasing the solicitor all week for an update. Finally emails at 8pm on Saturday saying our buyers solicitor emailed him and said thee buyer hasn’t yet got the mortgage sorted and doesn’t expect the 1st to happen now.

I’ve booked movers and time off work so hopefully I can change that, but don’t understand why the mortgage hasn’t been sorted. It was all going too smoothly. Hopefully get more news tomorrow.

Associate
Meant to be moving on the 1st June. Been chasing the solicitor all week for an update. Finally emails at 8pm on Saturday saying our buyers solicitor emailed him and said thee buyer hasn’t yet got the mortgage sorted and doesn’t expect the 1st to happen now.

I’ve booked movers and time off work so hopefully I can change that, but don’t understand why the mortgage hasn’t been sorted. It was all going too smoothly. Hopefully get more news tomorrow.

Proving you have a mortgage is one of the first things you need to do so that's odd it hasn't when a date's been set

Soldato

We phoned about 4-5 and 3 came round that week. They all agreed a price and we gave them an estimated completion date. The one we went for penciled it in but it was fine to be moved providing it wasn't with like 12 hours notice. We ended up moving it with about 2 weeks notice when we exchanged and knew our actual completion date and it all seemed fairly standard for them.

FWIW I'd stop emailing them - every one that we spoke to had the owner / boss come round to do the quotes and none of them looked like they had any interest in reading an email or doing quotes via that way. They gave us a price verbally and then just wrote it on a sheet for us to sign and photo / scan back to them if we wanted to go ahead. If they are busy I can see your emails just being ignored.

Soldato
We phoned about 4-5 and 3 came round that week. They all agreed a price and we gave them an estimated completion date. The one we went for penciled it in but it was fine to be moved providing it wasn't with like 12 hours notice. We ended up moving it with about 2 weeks notice when we exchanged and knew our actual completion date and it all seemed fairly standard for them.

FWIW I'd stop emailing them - every one that we spoke to had the owner / boss come round to do the quotes and none of them looked like they had any interest in reading an email or doing quotes via that way. They gave us a price verbally and then just wrote it on a sheet for us to sign and photo / scan back to them if we wanted to go ahead. If they are busy I can see your emails just being ignored.

Sorry, my question was meant to be specifically to see how people currently trying to arrange a removals company for a June 2021 move are faring. All of what you said seems fine in "normal" times, but in normal times I wouldn't have had to contact over 15 surveyors just to get a lead time that wasn't 5+ weeks ! Everything and everyone is absolutely creaking in this sector ATM.

Also I don't mean I've been emailing one man bands, these are the big firms ie Pickford's crown relocations etc, that do definitely have office staff and it's not just Bob after a 14 hour day.

Over the weekend I've managed to get a few quotes from smaller firms, so have a few options :)

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Well seems we might be moving in a little later than planned. Original target for completion was 7th June but now seems it's going back to the second half of June. still haven't exchanged contracts yet either, I think we're the last people out of a block of 8 properties or so that haven't, time to get on to the solicitors again :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom