The new Arsenal Club Thread - *No Spoilers & Read OP Before Posting*

Don
OP
It just seems a bit weak to me. Like calling a Russian bloke Vodka, rubbish stereotype you'd be hard pressed to offend someone with.
That's a terrible comparison. Not that I can imagine anybody would call a Russian person Vodka, it is at least a Russian product. It would be the same as the French calling us Roast Beef or us calling the French frogs legs. DVD's are not Asian. The implication is all Asian's sell knock off DVD's because a tiny minority of Asian people sold knock off DVD's in East London. I'm sure you would be offended if South East Asians referred to you as a paedo because of the actions of Gary Glitter and a few other Brits that have travelled there and carried out disgusting acts.

Soldato
It really isnt. This probably isnt the place to discuss all this and we should probably agree to disagree.
Don't get me wrong it's not something I'd say I just don't see anyone being offended by it.

Calling me a paedo because of Gary Glitter isn't racist though, it's a stereotype based off 1 person. Is saying all American's are fat racist?

Caporegime
That's a terrible comparison. Not that I can imagine anybody would call a Russian person Vodka, it is at least a Russian product. It would be the same as the French calling us Roast Beef or us calling the French frogs legs. DVD's are not Asian. The implication is all Asian's sell knock off DVD's because a tiny minority of Asian people sold knock off DVD's in East London. I'm sure you would be offended if South East Asians referred to you as a paedo because of the actions of Gary Glitter and a few other Brits that have travelled there and carried out disgusting acts.
That’s an even worse comparison lol

Don
OP
That’s an even worse comparison lol
Please explain why Rob. How is stereotyping an Asian person in a negative way due to the actions of a tiny number of Asian people different to stereotyping Brits in a negative way due to the actions of a tiny number of Brits?

I know racially offensive stereotypes are something you've struggled with in the past but I'd love to hear an explanation.

Soldato
I think the key word here is offensive. Everything I've seen so far are just really bad stereotypes. Nothing with historical or deaper meaning. I fail to see how anyone can be offended by it.

Don
OP
I think the key word here is offensive. Everything I've seen so far are just really bad stereotypes. Nothing with historical or deaper meaning.
The deeper meaing is that Asians sell knock off DVD's. It's not the worst thing you can accuse somebody of I'll give you that but it's certainly not complimentary either. It's a negative stereotype of an entire race of people - it's therefore a racially offensive stereotype, which is why people that have said it have often found themselves charged and prosecuted for doing so.

Soldato
That's not a deeper meaning, it's the actual meaning, and a rubbish one too. I am surprised to hear people have been prosecuted for it. I guess that's the times we live in.

Don
OP
I have no idea what you mean by deeper meaning then. Deeper, actual or whatever you want to call it, the implication of what's being said is negative and it's based on race - it is therefore racially offensive. Is it the worst thing somebody could say? Maybe not but wouldn't it be great if people didn't say racist things, even if they're 'only a little bit racist' because being a little bit racist is still being racist.

Soldato
What about saying all Scottish people are tight, welsh like sheep or southerners being soft etc. Same sort of thing but not racist. If all Scottish people were black would it then be classed as racist?

Don
OP
Scotts are not a race, neither are the Welsh or Southerners, those are negative stereotypes though, yes :confused: In the Son incident the discrimination/negative stereotype is based on race, which is what makes it racist.

Your argument seems to be that we take racial discrimination more seriously than we do other types of discrimination and you may have a point but that's another argument altogether. Just because insulting the Scotts doesn't get as much attention as insulting <insert racial group or religion>, that doesn't mean that insulting black/white/asian people is not racist and wrong.

And I've just seen your edit to a previous post re the Gary Glitter thing - the point was that if South East Asians labelled all white European men as paedo's because of the actions of a handful of sick individuals, that would indeed be racist.

Caporegime
He messed up and I think he knew it. Likely a term he'd been using for years that people would just laugh along to off-camera so he never realised the implications of it.

Not sure he was an out and out racist as I think he'd have been caught out saying far worse, he was from a generation where derogatory terms were accepted in football culture and he never grew out of it.

Even now, or last year when I was attending games, some of the stuff people shout at the players is ridiculous, it's not racist but it's certainly derogatory, they have zero filter or self-awareness.

Lee Judges is lucky Harry Kane is white or I think he'd have been long gone :D

Back
Top Bottom