The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
I'm quite surprised we don't have one of these threads already, where we can pose, show off and generally chat about new kit we've splashed out on.

My initial contribution won't excite many, but it's a solid and needed purchase- the Canon EF 28mm F/2.8. At the moment, I manage to wring the most out of a 1000d body and have the nifty fifty, the excellent Tamron 70-300mm SP DI VC, and the bog standard Canon kit lens.

I was lacking solid, sharp glass at the wide end of the focal scale, so thought the 28mm F/2.8 was the best option (considering price) at £170 new. This lens was bought for wedding use as myself and a fellow forum member have been enjoying working in this field over the past year, and have started to find our gear limiting in various ways (he's been able to cover 17-55mm using his Tamron F/2.8 zoom, a great little lens but pricier than a prime and ultimately, not as faithful in image reproduction).

I'll endeavour to post some results when it arrives. It looks to be a solid addition to the Canon photographers' arsenal and obtainable at sensible outlay.

Come on then, lets see what you've been spending your hard earned on!

Soldato
OP
Doesn't have to be a £1,000 lens or £4,500 body, can be anything from cleaning cloths and straps to battery grips and filters, anything that enhances and contributes in some way to your hobby/profession.

Even a list of "wanted kit", stuff people are planning to buy and how it will help expand their portfolio. It's also handy for stuff that wouldn't warrant a thread on its own, like mine :p

Soldato
Well within the last month I have bought:
- Canon 7D
- 24-70L 2.8
- Yongnuo YN565EX speedlite
- Sanyo Eneloop NiMh AA batteries for above speedlite
- Black Rapid RS-7 camera strap(not bought - was a present for my birthday)
- Hoya Lenspen

Need to buy:
- Decent tripod
- Flash stand + umbrella
- ND and ND grad filters
- Canon 10-22mm
- Canon 50mm 1.4

Associate
Ok, I'll play.

New Gear: 480GB replacement SSD for my 11" Macbook Air. Small enough to take anywhere. Enough capacity to be properly useful.

Wish list: 400mm f/2.8 L IS II Probably a year before the proce comes down from the stratosphere.

Andrew

Soldato
Doesn't have to be a £1,000 lens or £4,500 body, can be anything from cleaning cloths and straps to battery grips and filters, anything that enhances and contributes in some way to your hobby/profession.

Even a list of "wanted kit", stuff people are planning to buy and how it will help expand their portfolio. It's also handy for stuff that wouldn't warrant a thread on its own, like mine :p

My wanted list consists of exactly what you highlighted it doesn't have to be ;)

16 - 35 mm f2.8 - for landscapes
Canon 1dx (could settle for a mkiv though) or two :D

As gaffer mentioned as well a 400 f2.8 although I do wonder if thats too big a lens and just the 300 f2.8 would do me instead. (currently use 70 - 200 f2.8 with 1.4 extender and that works for the footy)

Soldato
I recently picked up a Canon 70-200L IS f2.8, although I'm not particularly overwhelmed with it so will probably sell it and keep my old Sigma. Thinking of a 135L as my next purchase...

Soldato

It's not a rubbish lens or anything, it's just that it isn't that much better than my current Sigma. It obviously has IS which the Sigma doesn't, I just don't know that I will use it very often. The Sigma is actually sharper at the wide end and whilst the Canon AF is very slightly better, it's not £600 better.

I am tempted to sell both and get a Canon mkII, but can't really justify that much outlay on a single lens as a happy snapper!

Soldato
seriously?!? :eek:

Stepping up from my 70 - 300 f4.5 - 5.6 to the 70 - 200 f2.8 I nearly made a mess of my pants the quality was that good* :D

Everything's relative. I upgraded from my 70-200 f/4L IS to the f/2.8L IS and 'downgraded' back a while later. The f/2.8L IS isn't as sharp as the f/4L IS, even at f/4, and is noticably softer at the long end at f/2.8 than it is at shorter lengths. I found myself using it at f/4 all the time as it was noticably better so figured there was little point keeping it.

The Mk2 is a different proposition altogether but is hellishly expensive.

As for kit, so far this year, I've acquired a 7D, BG-E7 grip, 24-70, 50 f/1.4 and a 'frotto tripod. Been an expensive year :/

Soldato
I've just bought a TTL cable for 9 quid. Looking forward to having a proper play tomorrow.

ttl.jpg

On the shopping list at the moment is a reflector, more AA batteries, another fast memory card (or 2). I'd also like to get one of those Raynox macro doofers.

Lens wise I'd like a 55-200 and also an 85 prime, trouble is the D60 doesn't have a focusing motor.

Back
Top Bottom