The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Caporegime
Awesome! Glad you got the upgrade. Yes, the 10L is probably overkill for me as I only carry 3 lenses and body. Great, so yours shipping Wednesday and I guess mine about the same time. Happy days. :)

Woop Woop! I just got my dispatch notice and tracking number on my bag :)

Update on tracking, delivery is this coming Tuesday! super fast :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Woop Woop! I just got my dispatch notice and tracking number on my bag :)

Update on tracking, delivery is this coming Tuesday! super fast :)

Awesome! :) I just checked my email after you saying that and noticed I also got one at 11.08am with tracking. But no delivery day yet. It says

Service Area: TAIPEI - TAIWAN Service Area: DOCKLANDS - UK

All Shipment Updates

Friday 30. July 2021
01:05 Local time | Shipper has generated a shipment label, but the shipment has not yet been handed over to DHL
Service Area: TAIPEI - TAIWAN

Soldato
Just need to see how little they put on as a price now and how much VAT we will get stung by

Yeah, fingers crossed not much, but shouldn't be more than about £24 to £30. Also, the gov uk page says customs duty at 2.5% for goods worth more than £135. Hopefully they've valued under that. But if not, we'd only pay about £3.50 customs duty.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Soldato
Oh dear. :(

They went a bit too far there. $180 so under £135 would have sufficed.

Yeah. I haven't got her email yet but I just checked my phone recording and this is what she said.

"It's been collected but is going through a uk audit with the value on the invoice. So we just need proof of purchase so it clears uk customs quickly when it arrives in. So the value provided is $115 and we just ask for proof of purchase so we can match this up and get it cleared through. Are you able to provide that at all? I'll send an email and you can attach whatever the email asks for and I'll await a response "

I don't know what to do now. Do I get Wotancraft to send a revised invoice? But then the date would be today and look suspicious.

Soldato
I'm going to have to say there's been a mistake on the seller's parcel value. I just got the email:

"Good Afternoon

In order to clear your shipment through UK customs and release your freight to you, we will require proof of purchase in order to confirm the true value of your goods.
Could you please email us at [email protected] with your DHL awb number in the subject line and provide one of the following forms of evidence:-
  • Purchasing receipt
  • Order confirmation email
  • PayPal receipt
  • Print screen of your purchase or order confirmation when on a site e.g. Amazon
  • Screenshot of a bank statement (please Blank out your account details and highlight the payment on the document)
Once we receive this proof of purchase we will check that evidence is valid and complete the customs entry and release your freight for delivery.

Please note, after submitting your proof of purchase there may be an alteration to your importation charges if there is any discrepancy between the proof of purchase value and the commercial invoice.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us on ...

Kind regards,

Zoe Dickinson

Customs Agent

DHL Hubs and Gateways UK"

Caporegime
Oh well, it was always going to be a bonus if they lowered the value. I was quite prepared to pay the 20% VAT.

So far nobody has got in touch with me..............

I might be lucky as its coming to work not to me personally.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh well, it was always going to be a bonus if they lowered the value. I was quite prepared to pay the 20% VAT.

So far nobody has got in touch with me..............

I might be lucky as its coming to work not to me personally.

Fingers crossed for you that you don't get the same. I've just emailed Wotancraft about it.

Soldato
The shipment was on hold in Taiwan yesterday. Today it just arrived at a sort facility in Paris. So it's still moving and on for Tuesday. I called DHL to verify if my email was fake. But it isn't and was told that although it'll still arrive in UK Monday or Tuesday, it wouldn't be released until they have my proof of purchase. I've now sent proof of purchase at $237.

Hopefully will still receive bag on Tuesday. With VAT and customs duty, that puts my purchase at £219 for a bag, add on zipper pouch and magnetic lock upgrade. Blimey, a lot of money for a bag! Could have bought another for under £100. :p Still, at least it's a really nice bag.

Caporegime
The shipment was on hold in Taiwan yesterday. Today it just arrived at a sort facility in Paris. So it's still moving and on for Tuesday. I called DHL to verify if my email was fake. But it isn't and was told that although it'll still arrive in UK Monday or Tuesday, it wouldn't be released until they have my proof of purchase. I've now sent proof of purchase at $237.

Hopefully will still receive bag on Tuesday. With VAT and customs duty, that puts my purchase at £219 for a bag, add on zipper pouch and magnetic lock upgrade. Blimey, a lot of money for a bag! Could have bought another for under £100. :p Still, at least it's a really nice bag.

Yeah mine is in Paris too. Still no other word from them (yet).

Associate
I got into photography in 2009, when I bought a Sony A200. I went mirrorless when the A7 launched and picked up the 55/1.8 and 90/2.8. Over the years, I've had a ton of supporting lenses, but I was never really happy with my setup. About 2.5 years ago, I got quite ill and ended losing a year to surgery and recovery. I really struggled to get back into photography afterwards and at some point decided that part of the problem was my lens options. After a ton of false starts (and more money than I'd care to think about), I've finally got a line-up that I'm happy with!

Sony 50/2.5 - I was sceptical about a slow prime, but this is an absolute gem for street and travel photography, with none of the 55mm's weaknesses.

Sony 90/2.8. This was a repurchase - I sold my original copy and bought the Sigma 105mm. It was regret at first sight - the extra reach was nice, but not at the expense of true MF and OSS.

Tamron 28-75/2.8 - I'm not usually a fan of zooms, but I the rendering is pleasing and it's (hopefully!) cured me of buying an ever-changing selection box of primes that rarely see the light of day.

Soldato
I got into photography in 2009, when I bought a Sony A200. I went mirrorless when the A7 launched and picked up the 55/1.8 and 90/2.8. Over the years, I've had a ton of supporting lenses, but I was never really happy with my setup. About 2.5 years ago, I got quite ill and ended losing a year to surgery and recovery. I really struggled to get back into photography afterwards and at some point decided that part of the problem was my lens options. After a ton of false starts (and more money than I'd care to think about), I've finally got a line-up that I'm happy with!

Sony 50/2.5 - I was sceptical about a slow prime, but this is an absolute gem for street and travel photography, with none of the 55mm's weaknesses.

Sony 90/2.8. This was a repurchase - I sold my original copy and bought the Sigma 105mm. It was regret at first sight - the extra reach was nice, but not at the expense of true MF and OSS.

Tamron 28-75/2.8 - I'm not usually a fan of zooms, but I the rendering is pleasing and it's (hopefully!) cured me of buying an ever-changing selection box of primes that rarely see the light of day.

I've got the Tamron and the 90mm Macro. The former has never let me down and the latter is in the top ten of the sharpest lenses made. Instead of the 50mm I went for the Sigma 35 f1.2. In crop mode it will give me 50mm. Glad your happy with your "line-up".

Caporegime
You probably won't. I think it's a random thing where they probably just pick someone out of every few hundred. Looks like I drew the short straw.

Yeah i used to order DVDs and Blurays from the states. about 1 in 6 I would get flagged for vat and duty.

Its landed at Teesside airport this morning at 7am and says its cleared customs so doubt I will hear from them now :)

Soldato
Yeah i used to order DVDs and Blurays from the states. about 1 in 6 I would get flagged for vat and duty.

Its landed at Teesside airport this morning at 7am and says its cleared customs so doubt I will hear from them now :)

Good stuff. Well I got a revised invoice for $115 from Wotancraft this morning, but I can't use it as I already sent my invoice over the weekend. To be honest, I don't know if I'd have been talong a risk and digging myself a bigger hole with customs by using the revised invoice.

My bag is at Heathrow and currently my tracking says 'Customs Status updated at East Midlands' and 'Further Detail:
Further clearance processing is required.
Next Step: A DHL representative shall attempt to contact importer or shipper if any further information is required to complete the entry. Customer should contact DHL Customer Service if not reached by DHL'

You can see my steps here, several customs and clearance events. I suppose I'll probably get a vat and customs duty invoice at some point.

Back
Top Bottom