1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Nokia 5800 Express Media (Tube) Thread

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by Sneaky Peaky, 22 Jan 2009.

1. LeJosh

Capodecina

Anybody getting nokia music working on Windows 7 or could you tell me how to get music onto the phone all neat and tidy? Or am I going to have to create directories and what not on the phone?

Edit - finally got it started... it just decided to work after much bashing.

Edit 2 - but has decided to break every other media player.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2009
  2. swanseajack

Wise Guy

For those with Vodafone phones they just released v30 firmware.

3. topgazza

Gangster

I'm on Windows 7 and the Nokia update just says it an incorrect operating system and won't continue.

Good old Nokia...up to date as always :rolleyes:

4. swanseajack

Wise Guy

I'm on Win 7 to and it runs fine, just run it in compatibility mode for Vista.

5. topgazza

Gangster

OH..interesting, thank you, sorry for being dense but I can't seem to see how to select that in PC Suite.

6. swanseajack

Wise Guy

Right click on the short cut and choose properties, in the box that pops up choose compatible tab and tick the run this programme as box and choose Vista from the drop down box.

7. topgazza

Gangster

Thats what I thought. I've tried Vista and Xp SP3 compatability which the PC was on before but still says op system wrong. I'm selecting phone update icon on the PC Suite box. It downloads a file called Nokia Software Updater Setup (23meg) its when I click on it I get the message.

8. swanseajack

Wise Guy

Thats odd, download the new ovi suite from Nokia website, you can update through that.

9. topgazza

Gangster

I was being especially dumb tonight. I was changing compatibility of the PC Suite icon NOT teh updater I had downloaded. DOH!

Thanks for your help it working now...

10. swanseajack

Wise Guy

Lol no problem, we all have brain freeze now and then ;)

11. topgazza

Gangster

Got there in the end.

Not sure what ver 30.0 gives as it just said "performance improvement" on the Nokia web site. Not spotted anything obvious yet

Have had my 5800 for 6 months or so now and still love it. Wish they would sort out some of the keying involved to reduce the number of keys to make a voice call from the contacts list for instance.

But overall an easy phone to use and terrific for video and MP3

12. topgazza

Gangster

On different tack.

What is the favourite/best way to use the GPS function. Never used it so far but I can see the benefit. There seems to be a mix of using Google maps and Nokia maps.

How do you use Google maps on the 5800 ? Or is Nokia maps good enough for walking around, not turn by turn, guidance ?

Edit: Just tried the Navteq Nokia maps. Got a good fix right away. It found where I was as well which to be honest I was pleasantly surprised, no idea why I just was. Didn't try any route planning but I can see that if I am in, say, London, at the very least its useful to have a map on the phone. Has anyone used this for any actyal routes whilst driving etc ?

Last edited: 9 Nov 2009
  13. bluntslide

Hitman

i prefer google maps, just download it from the google home page. the satellite view and search function is pretty good.
    when you say about calling people from the contacts list, i just press the green button and it will dial them, this can be done when reading a text too.

14. topgazza

Gangster

Priceless. I've been happy using this phone for months. Didn't realise just pressing green did the dialling. For some reason I go to contacts/name/options /voice dial....

Sigh! But many thanks for what, I guess, to everyone is an obvious but to me useful piece of advice.

I'll try the Google maps.

15. Sonea Fifer

Soldato

Just a quick question to any other 5800 owners - my phone displays the following:

Software version - V21.0.025
    Software version date - 02/-04-09
    Custom version - 21.0.025.427.01
    Custom version date - 02-06-2009
    Language set - 01
    Model - 5800XpressMusic
    Type RM-356Latest update - not updated

Everytime I try to update it tells me there's none available?

I'm with O2 if that makes any difference.

16. topgazza

Gangster

Probably because O2 haven't authorised it yet.

17. LORD APOCALYPSE

Gangster

You might need to debrand it unless o2 get their asses in gear and release the update.

Debranding is pretty simple though, i debranded my vodafone and instantly got access to v31 through nokia updater.

:)

18. Sonea Fifer

Soldato

Thanks for the speedy replies chaps - will look into debranding it ;)

19. Deep

Soldato

If you type a text out, as soon as your done press the green button and it will send the text.

20. knip

Capodecina

When typing a text you can also just press the envelope and it sends it, as well as if you just want to reply to a text you can hit the envelope with the back arrow on it instead of options>reply>via message.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2009