The Nokia N80

Soldato
So my one from OSPS could be taken to wherever my nearest nokia service centre is and update free - only had it less than a week :) - if so then i'm off to find wherever my nearest centre is - cos i don't have a clue :p lol

Associate
mrochester said:
Nope it's free as long as the phone is still under warranty.
I was always under the impression that it was only free under warranty if the phone had a specific fault which could be corrected by a firmware update. Firmware updates for the sake of it always usedto be chargeable.
Mind you with the current state of the N80 firmware, it wouldn't be hard to justify the free flash.

Soldato
Dolph said:
Do lack of memory errors go away if you patch windows on a 128meg machine? No, they don't...

Nokia have, yet again, still not given their S60 phones anywhere enough proper ram and relied on memory cards...

Isn`t it just a memory management issue though? Stop using 16bit registers for a single 1bit text etc...

I remember a P166 running windows 95 quite well with 32MB of RAM ;)

edit: There is a way to format the phone memory to use smaller memory blocks, though I`m struggling to find the link. This might make some difference prior to/instead of a firmware upgrade.

And the Amiga1200 was just as reliable with 2MB!

Last edited:
Soldato
Scoobie Dave said:
Good old Amiga1200. Great machine in it's day - loved playing sensible soccer! :D

Found out my local Nokia service station and im getting it flashed today to verion .6 for free. Will let you know if it makes any difference.

The Amiga plays Canon Fodder better than the 6630 I have...

If only people would write proper code for software these days - life would be so much faster (at a price...)

Associate
O2 just quoted me the N80 for £60 on my current Online 200 tariff. Not bad considering they said £120 2 weeks ago.

Release date was June 5th but they can't reserve them yet. Bugger!

Associate
The_Biggles said:
O2 just quoted me the N80 for £60 on my current Online 200 tariff. Not bad considering they said £120 2 weeks ago.

i spoke to o2 this afternoon and they said it would cost me £139 to get the n80 on an upgrade on my current package- £30 per month 200/500.

so what the hell is going on? the only reason i'm going with orange is because o2 want to charge me a fortune to upgrade but now i'm hearing that other people are being offered it for less??? Plus they originally said that they would have the handset on the 19th of may but it got delayed.

I'm furious....

Soldato
alexuslakes said:
i spoke to o2 this afternoon and they said it would cost me £139 to get the n80 on an upgrade on my current package- £30 per month 200/500.

so what the hell is going on? the only reason i'm going with orange is because o2 want to charge me a fortune to upgrade but now i'm hearing that other people are being offered it for less??? Plus they originally said that they would have the handset on the 19th of may but it got delayed.

I'm furious....

they'll offer you an upgrade based on your value to them as a customer. If your monthly spend never goes much above your line rental, then you're not really making them much money, or at least not enough for them to subsidise the full cost of an n80 which probably costs them 300-500quid.

on the other hand if your spending way above your line rental and therefore making the company lots of money they'll want to keep your business and therefore offer you free upgrades and the like.

Associate
Just rang Orange upgrades and was told there's no more N80's in stock, and there won't be for "ages, if we even do get it in stock again". Quoted me £129.99 to upgrade if they did have one, though.

Associate
BillHicksRIP said:
Just rang upgrades and was told there's no more N80's in stock, and there won't be for "ages, if we even do get it in stock again". Quoted me £129.99 to upgrade if they did have one, though.
Thats crazy- i've got my n80 right here and it only cost me £50 (although it was a new contract)

My original network (i havnt left them yet) are now desperate to keep me and have offered me 500 cross net minutes and 500 texts for £25/month!! I've only had this new phone for a few days- i could send it back and get the deal my old network are offering me OR i could ring my new network and tell them to match the offer.

Does anyone think they will offer me a better deal considering i've agreed a 12 month contract with them? i've had it less than 14 days so i'm within my rights to send it back, arnt i?

Associate
I have just been on the phone to O2/Carphone and managed to scope one up for 90 quid with 85 quid cash back. :D

Im very chuffed!!

It should be here on Tuesday... whoooohooo!!

Associate
hybrid said:
I have just been on the phone to O2/Carphone and managed to scope one up for 90 quid with 85 quid cash back. :D

Im very chuffed!!

It should be here on Tuesday... whoooohooo!!

I've just been offered one for £29.99 from them plus 500 minutes and 500 texts for £25 on a 12 month contract. plus a bluetooth headset and a 512mb memory card- not going to take it tho- i'm sick of bad customer service and pathetic coverage.

They must be desperate to keep me!! The offers just keep coming!!

Stick with the colour i say.

Associate
Scoobie Dave said:
Got my N80 flashed to 0.6 firmware and im not getting out of memory errors anymore. ;)
Hopefully its more friendly with 2gig cards too! :D

Congrats, it was the memory messages that made me take it back, but i'm happy with the E60 now.

Permabanned
TheOtherOption said:
Aha so did it cost you anythin ? just took it to the nokia centre and they flashed it for ya ?
Will have to get mine done soon then too :cool:

Yeah it was free. I think you get a 2 year warrenty with the phone and any service centre will flash it for free. I actually got mine done while I waited, which was about an hour but at least I did not have to leave my phone with them (I phoned them up before I went down and checked if they were busy). I thought it was like flashing a new bios to your motherboard, but they actually reload all the software on your phone too.

jmp

jmp

Associate
The_Biggles said:

02 are a bunch of theiving banditos - every time i ring up i get told different prices and get different offers that only 2 hours ago they couldn't do. My advise is to ring up the day before and haggle an agreement then on the day of release just re-haggle and go for it. 02 take their existing customers for granted and just try to rip them off.

I was quoted the 129.99 upgrade which supposedly could not be brought down - only my contract could be increased from 200mins to 500mins for £25 a month instead of £30. Or, the Online 200 for £20 rather than my current £30. THIEVES!!!

Back
Top Bottom