The **Now Drinking** Thread

Soldato
I'm drinking a gin and tonic

I've never had one before, and its pretty grim

I'm using sainsbury's "dry london" gin and Morison's Indian tonic water though...

It reminds me of grapefruit juice (which I hate) in that its bitter and dry. is that what its meant to be like? It feels like it could do with a shot of sugar syrup to me lol.

Have I done goofed by getting the cheap stuff, or is it just not my bag?

Soldato
So its not meant to be grapefruit-esk?
A G&T is supposed to be crisp, dry and refreshing. It shouldn't be overly bitter.

Your problem is twofold; your gin is heavy on juniper and your tonic has some artificial sweetener in. This is why the G&T tastes as it does.

Can you drink the tonic on its own, easily enough? If so, it's the gin that's your problem. If you can't stand the tonic, then it'll be that at fault.

also, whats a decent gin I can egt from the supermarket in a non huge bottle?
If you have a Waitrose nearby, pick up a bottle of Caorunn (£23) and some of their Essential tonic water (£0.50) and see how that grabs you.

Other decent, affordable, widely available gins are as follows: Tesco Finest Aromatic, Sainsbury's Blackfriars, Blackwoods Vintage, Boodles, Martin Millers, Opihr.

Soldato
15741065_1346152145435796_8372271753991606776_n_zpsnctguw1n.jpg

Permabanned
I'm drinking a gin and tonic

I've never had one before, and its pretty grim

I'm using sainsbury's "dry london" gin and Morison's Indian tonic water though...

It reminds me of grapefruit juice (which I hate) in that its bitter and dry. is that what its meant to be like? It feels like it could do with a shot of sugar syrup to me lol.

Have I done goofed by getting the cheap stuff, or is it just not my bag?

With gin you get what you pay for, I can recommend:-

Gin's (Keep your Gin in the freezer)

Bombay Sapphire
Tanqueray No. Ten
The Botanist

Tonic

Fever Tree Indian Tonic Water
Fever Tree Mediterranean Tonic Water

Basic G&T Cocktail

50ml Gin
100ml Tonic Water (If your Gin's ABV is over 40% you may need a tad more Tonic)
Lots of Ice

Optionally add a squeeze of fresh lime or a couple of dashes of Angostura bitters.

For the glass try and use a Copa de Balon or large Burgundy red wine glass.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had a Chi'Ti Amber.. only 5.x% (for a conti beer that's low). Like it - sort of the taste of Inns & Gunn but not as sweet and not as taste-strong (more balanced).

Soldato
Gin's (Keep your Gin in the freezer)
Do not do this. One of if not the worst things you can do for gin.

In fact, keep gin and any other spirits away from low temperature - it does nothing for them. It might improve the drinkability of bargain-basement vodka by inhibiting the harshness but that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom