The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato

That's the one. I have heard other brands are far fluffier and more palatable but this one seems to be mostly protein, so I am free to add chocolate, peanut butter or fruit as toppings if I want to add carbs or fats.

My favourite is maple syrup but i also buy unflavoured as I often have savory pancakes with eggs and sausages.

I'll recommend a small pack to try first as they are quite far from the real thing!

Soldato
I've decided to start cooking a 3 course meal every week (or every other - as it is quite expensive!) where I'll showcase one ingredient. It's all vegan (bar the honey, but the jury is out on that!). I did tomato last night. I'm not very happy with the tomato sauce presentation on the main but it all tasted good which is the main thing! I haven't got a clue about photography, just point my phone at it and press the button but thinking they look alright!

Roasted red pepper gazpacho with Greek salad ‘crouton’.
Stuffed tomato, tomato emulsion, tomato sauce, matchstick potatoes, parsley pesto & soy tofu steak.
Honey coconut-milk panna cotta, tomato granita & walnut brittle.

dHsBq2Kl.png.jpg
zSKKWy3l.jpg
HCq6nuol.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Made this two weeks ago, for our anniversary dinner. Did post in the picture thread but no one looks at the stickies. Again, all vegan.

Charred corn with aubergine & caper salad. Prune, mustard & tequila sauce.

UXQDtKs.png

Salt baked celeriac with apple. Fondant potato, asparagus and fresh truffle. Date sauce.

UjnHOM5.png

Pastel de nata, coconut foam.

9ElOswA.png

Petits fours. Beetroot, chocolate & Rumbullion truffles.

VzCLWhA.png

Very happy with presentation of starter and main. Was a bit tipsy by the coffee stage and spilled the crema before getting to the table!

Soldato
expensive pancake mix 200g pack £4, - 70g of whey/white protein, but whey's £20/kg, so in pack is marked up to ~£60/kg ... can't you make pancakes from scratch with whey.
...Aunt Jemimas pancake mix ... which I can't fully duplicate, from scratch, is much cheaper.

Never buy from myprotein at full price. Theres always an offer around for 40-60% off somewhere. I would guess the ingredients are essentially whey, casein, egg replacement kind of powder and baking powder.

As for aunt jemima's mix, apples to oranges comparison. They may be nicer and taste like real pancakes but the problem is that it doesnt tick any of the boxes nutrition wise for me.

Soldato
49851927027_05504c6950_o_d.jpg

...Aunt Jemimas pancake mix ... which I can't fully duplicate, from scratch, is much cheaper.

not Aunt Jemima, but the less sugar ridden home recipe - buttermilk, melted butter, egg -> bicarb, baking powder, flour.

plus ebayed Kirkland syrup - visiting a Costco is on my bucket list. ... no ones posted a photo of their non-empty shelves ?

Soldato
Far from the most healty breakfast in the world, but there was only one left and it was staring at me.... Homemade Millionaire's Shortbread.

Absolutely delicious! The chocolate could do with being a bit thicker but that aside it was perfect. The shortbread looks a bit undercooked in the picture but it feels and tastes like it's cooked spot on.
SABYRBr.jpg
SABYRBr

Soldato
Far from the most healty breakfast in the world, but there was only one left and it was staring at me.... Homemade Millionaire's Shortbread.

Absolutely delicious! The chocolate could do with being a bit thicker but that aside it was perfect. The shortbread looks a bit undercooked in the picture but it feels and tastes like it's cooked spot on.
SABYRBr.jpg

SABYRBr

Good job! I made shortbread fingers last year and drizzled them with melted chocolate. Came out nice if a bit too crumbly. There's basically two types, soft and crumbly or with more of a biscuity snap.

Soldato
Buns look great, good job.

My brother dropped off a present for me earlier today:

mfdOws5.png

So I made pan-seared seabass w/ tomato and garlic couscous, roasted San Marzano tomatoes and a garlic lemon butter.

FN5L6Z4.png

O8xv4W7.png

6h from sea to plate, can't get much fresher than that.

Back
Top Bottom