The **Now Eating** Thread

Caporegime
What cheese slice is that and what bun ? where do you get them ?

Sainsbury’s, their own brand of brioche bun, it’s a blue packaging about £1.09 for 4 and their own American sliced cheese (cheapest). I saw a video by some American burger guru one time who said whilst nice cheese is good, but the nasty American cheese melts the best on a burger.

Soldato
Sainsbury’s, their own brand of brioche bun, it’s a blue packaging about £1.09 for 4 and their own American sliced cheese (cheapest). I saw a video by some American burger guru one time who said whilst nice cheese is good, but the nasty American cheese melts the best on a burger.

Yeah it's basically the addition of sodium citrate, makes the proteins in cheese more soluble.

You can buy food grade type on Amazon and comes in handy if you're making your own mac and cheese or nacho cheese, helps it emulsify evenly and not curdle.

Soldato
I think we made the same burgers :D https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/ultra-smashed-cheeseburger-recipe-food-lab.html I can't find the main article but he basically says there's no substitute for cheap American cheese slices. He's right. We did one batch with slices and it was awesome, then tried some with red leicester and it just wasn't as good. Those simple smashburgers are so good even my girlfriend has eaten them 3 times now, and she doesn't usually like burgers and is normally that embarrassing person at a burger restaurant asking for no bread :(

Work treated me to a Hawksmoor on them
Nice! Aer they trying to bribe you into going back to the office or something? :p

Soldato
Nice! Aer they trying to bribe you into going back to the office or something? :p

Trying to bribe me into not leaving more like it, I've done a lot of extra hours (all compensated) and pulled them out of the weeds a lot lately, but all stuff that could be avoided with proper process/management of the situation that has caused a lot of people to up and leave/quit. Told them I won't be returning to the office full time already.

Caporegime
I think we made the same burgers :D https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/ultra-smashed-cheeseburger-recipe-food-lab.html I can't find the main article but he basically says there's no substitute for cheap American cheese slices. He's right. We did one batch with slices and it was awesome, then tried some with red leicester and it just wasn't as good. Those simple smashburgers are so good even my girlfriend has eaten them 3 times now, and she doesn't usually like burgers and is normally that embarrassing person at a burger restaurant asking for no bread :(

Smashed burgers is my favourite. The slightly burnt outside, the really soft bread and simple cheese with bit of ketchup and perhaps either some raw onions or pickle gherkin to add some crunch and acid. It’s like a posh version of the Maccy D’s Cheeseburger on steroids x 100.

Soldato
Told them I won't be returning to the office full time already.
Good on ya, maybe you'll get some more steaks out of it :D

Smashed burgers is my favourite. The slightly burnt outside, the really soft bread and simple cheese with bit of ketchup and perhaps either some raw onions or pickle gherkin to add some crunch and acid. It’s like a posh version of the Maccy D’s Cheeseburger on steroids x 100.
Yup. My go-to is fried shallots, sliced gherkins, burger sauce on one side and mustard on the other. Heaven.

Soldato
last night pudding - butternutpumpkin pie
rum/cloves/maple/evap/2eggs

50316403623_34467eac16_o_d.jpg

depth of field challenged ?

Soldato
spN4p0.jpg

w7pYxY.jpg

kw3WSq.jpg

LPmwIp.jpg

HPD2HC.jpg

Ym5r6r.jpg

dmyPO8.jpg

With only 3 days left on the Chippie 2.0 theme at Six By Nico, I finally managed to get a table booked. This was on Friday. Was my first trip to Glasgow since March. Really enjoyed the meal. And thanks to the £50 voucher my dad got me for Christmas, the meal, plus snack course, bottle of still water, aperitif and glass of dessert wine only cost me £3 :D

Also, Scran have started doing a sit in service again, but only at the weekend for now and no walk in's. I couldn't get a table booked for this weekend, but I got one booked for next Saturday. Can't wait!!! :D

Soldato
With only 3 days left on the Chippie 2.0 theme at Six By Nico, I finally managed to get a table booked. This was on Friday. Was my first trip to Glasgow since March. Really enjoyed the meal. And thanks to the £50 voucher my dad got me for Christmas, the meal, plus snack course, bottle of still water, aperitif and glass of dessert wine only cost me £3 :D

Also, Scran have started doing a sit in service again, but only at the weekend for now and no walk in's. I couldn't get a table booked for this weekend, but I got one booked for next Saturday. Can't wait!!! :D

I went to the Chippie a few weeks back, really good as you said! I didn't get the snacks, looks as though I missed out.

My reason for replying is, Nico is opening a new place in Dennistoun opposite Tapa. It's very low key, but the licensing application stuck up on the lamppost outside has his name on it. Apparently it's going to be called 'Grub'. Keep an eye on it!

I've still never been to Scran despite being 5 minutes from there... I must take a walk up!

Soldato
Yup. On rocks. A slightly silly plating choice in my opinion, but the cannelloni were really tasty snacks. And the shellfish butter was delicious on the sourdough bread :)

I've still never been to Scran despite being 5 minutes from there... I must take a walk up!

You seriously must! I wish I lived that close, I would be there all the freaking time! Even their takeaway menu is worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom