!!!! The OCUK Martial Arts Thread !!!!

Soldato
I have never been one for patterns, but I am starting to appreciate them a lot more now. I used to go through them about 3 times a week outside of training, but Im going through them everday now.

Soldato
panthro said:
I have never been one for patterns, but I am starting to appreciate them a lot more now. I used to go through them about 3 times a week outside of training, but Im going through them everday now.
it really depends on the role of forms in the system you've chosen.
for me they contain all the techniques in the syllabus and allow (and promote) fluidity of transition....certain other MA styles feature forms which are set pieces of combat in their own right and it's these i disagree with strongly.
it's like giving a fighter a script to follow.

Associate
does anyone know any good martial arts classes specifically in blackpool or near by?
Im not too sure which to take up ive read the whole thread, some interesting stuff.
Im after somthing that'll teach me something pratical and build up my confidence etc.. somethin i can use if i ever need to. Im not the biggest built guy so im gettin back to the gym aswell, not to sure about the kickboxing stuff not really me tbh.

any ideas?

Soldato
The_Dark_Side said:
it really depends on the role of forms in the system you've chosen.
for me they contain all the techniques in the syllabus and allow (and promote) fluidity of transition....certain other MA styles feature forms which are set pieces of combat in their own right and it's these i disagree with strongly.
it's like giving a fighter a script to follow.

Well, Ive never been a big fan of forms. I appreciate all martial arts to a degree. I will be the first to admit that the basic taekwondo (ITF changhong) patterns are not great, but the give beginners coordination, balance and stamina which are good foundations. Once you get to the higher end of the 24 patterns (25 including Kodang) it gets much more interesting. Admittedly the movements are based on imaginary opponents, but it is the movements themselves that must be concentrated upon. Particularly the breathing techniques and the strikes to pressure points, and with the practicing of the forms your overall physical performance will see a guaranteed improvement.

I trained in Wing Chun for a very short time and learnt the first form Sil Nim Tao. I really enjoyed the time I had doing WC. I would have liked to have carried on but I refused to pay the £100 a month fee. It was with a guy called Lucas Castrounis. I did get to meet a few people through it like Nino Bernardo, Austin Goh, Simon Lau, etc. I think once I find a cheaper school with a good instructor I will think about joining.

Soldato
panthro said:
Well, Ive never been a big fan of forms.
forms have their place in MA, although how much of an importance pretty much depends on which style you choose.
panthro said:
I trained in Wing Chun for a very short time and learnt the first form Sil Nim Tao. I really enjoyed the time I had doing WC. I would have liked to have carried on but I refused to pay the £100 a month fee. It was with a guy called Lucas Castrounis. I did get to meet a few people through it like Nino Bernardo, Austin Goh, Simon Lau, etc. I think once I find a cheaper school with a good instructor I will think about joining.
strange you say this as i'm a WC student myself...and in WC all the secrets are contained inthe forms and Chi sau.
although i train privately (not as much as i should by any means) and that i don't immerse myself in the broader scene, Austin Goh and Simon Lau are names that mean a lot to me.Master Lau trains in London i believe?
tough fighter and i like a lot of his training principles.

Soldato
The_Dark_Side said:
forms have their place in MA, although how much of an importance pretty much depends on which style you choose.

strange you say this as i'm a WC student myself...and in WC all the secrets are contained inthe forms and Chi sau.
although i train privately (not as much as i should by any means) and that i don't immerse myself in the broader scene, Austin Goh and Simon Lau are names that mean a lot to me.Master Lau trains in London i believe?
tough fighter and i like a lot of his training principles.

Hi, Chi Sau would be sticking hands? That was one of the first things we started learning. Im definitely going to take up WC at some point. Austin Goh is a great guy with incredible strength and power. I go to a lot of seminars for different arts and his are some of the best. Simon Lau has his school in Kensington. I have been there a few times when Ive stayed near that area, but like a lot of other high profile places, he charges a lot of money. He can justify it though consiering his status and skill not just in WC but in all the other things he teaches/does.

I dont think you would have martial arts without forms. Like I said, never was a fan, but definitely starting to see the benefits now on reflection and the fact that I had never paid much attention to them in all the different arts I have done. Not the cleverest thing but hindsight is a good thing :) The only forem I have ever practiced consistently are Tai Chi forms.

Man of Honour
The_morrell said:
yeah you will not go wrong with the strength of shotokan, its very no thrills and direct. Bet your freeked out about the thought of having a white belt again? you'll get in to quickly, where abouts are you trainning?
Hehe, I am not too fussed about wearing a white belt again, after all, basics never hurt anyone. My sensei has said that he can clearly see that I know what I am doing and it won't take long to progress.

I am training at the only KUGB club in Gloucester. The one thing I have found is that Shotokan may look basic but it is very technical compared to the style I was doing before. I am really enjoying it but realise that you can never stop learning.

By the way, in answer to the question about how often kata/forms/patterns are practised, I train twice a week and all the katas are performed, analysed, discussed and practiced again. Then at home, I stretch and practice techniques fully at least twice more. Everyday I go over my kata in my head. :)

Back
Top Bottom