!!!! The OCUK Martial Arts Thread !!!!

Soldato
A2Z said:
im at Kent uni...and the stuff they have to do at the uni is:

Karate, Taekwondo, Judo, Tai-Chi, Kickboxing, and there is a Kung Fu thing, which consists of traditional shaolin and wing chun.

I currently do the kickboxing, its good for punches and kicks etc, but i would also like to learn something more martial arty, like mui thai, but they dont do it at the uni.

Which of the other stuff they do would be best to do? As in more action, not just fitness and pointless movements etc.

Out of the stuff you list I'd go for Judo. If you do Kickboxing then you already have a pretty good grounding in striking, so why not complement it with a close up MA like Judo? Also you will experience the joys of Randori :D

Caporegime
OP
Judo is a GREAT MA to get a foundation in. One year of it can give you a good basis in groundfighting for life, and is a perfect art for taking to another MA with weak groundfighting skills such as Wing Chun.

Hell you have so many good arts there... lucky git. :)

Wing Chun and Tai-Chi are great complimentary arts as they both emphasise sensitivity and finesse but require a LOT of patience.

Permabanned
The_One said:
I'm just about to start training there (full member) starting first day of next month.

Been to a few classes as a guest already tho. Will have to say hello to ya when i start :)

What ya going to train mate? I'd like to train more than once a week but I gotta wait till I get my car in December.

Soldato
Richdog said:
Judo is a GREAT MA to get a foundation in. One year of it can give you a good basis in groundfighting for life

Hmmm I never really thought Judo was that good for developing groundfighting skills to be honest. No choking, no locks, no pressure points, about the only thing you have is pinning. JuJitsu is much better for groundfighting in my opinion.

Caporegime
OP
Trojan said:
Hmmm I never really thought Judo was that good for developing groundfighting skills to be honest. No choking, no locks, no pressure points, about the only thing you have is pinning. JuJitsu is much better for groundfighting in my opinion.

No choking? No locks? Only thing you have is pinning? :confused:

That's very misinformed. I think you'll find it has a ton mate:

*Chokes (shimewaza) http://judoinfo.com/chokes.htm

*Locks and everything else http://judoinfo.com/gokyo2.htm

*Dislocations/breaks http://judoinfo.com/kubiwaza.htm

*Illustrated pictures of all http://judoinfo.com/techdrw.htm

Top judoka regularly beat top BJJ fighters in the ring, it is a highly respected yet oft-underrated art. :)

Last edited:

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
hmm...interesting, so i should definateley pop round to the next Judo class being held?

oh and both Karate and Shaolin/Wing Chun are held at the same times...is the Shaolin/Wing Chun better to join?

Soldato
Pro tip:

A hair dryer can be used in an emergency to dry the bits if a Gi that take ages to dry, ie the cuffs and lapel :D

(I know, I should wash my Gi as soon as I get in to avoid the need for this kind of thing...)

Soldato
Richdog said:
No choking? No locks? Only thing you have is pinning? :confused:

That's very misinformed. I think you'll find it has a ton mate:

<Snip>

Not misinformed at all as that's exactly how Judo was when I was doing it and actively competing in competitions. In fact, looking at the British Judo Association website that's still how contests are. The only ground fighting involved is attempting to pin your opponent to the mat for 25 seconds.

FishFluff said:
I wish you'd never learnt chokes or locks, my throat still hurts from Monday! :( :p

Hehe sorry about that dude, though you'll probably hurt more after the comp on Sunday :p

Caporegime
OP
Trojan said:
Not misinformed at all as that's exactly how Judo was when I was doing it and actively competing in competitions. In fact, looking at the British Judo Association website that's still how contests are. The only ground fighting involved is attempting to pin your opponent to the mat for 25 seconds.

Your Judo was lilkely a very watered down competition version then as opposed to true Judo. :)

It's a bit like like saying "Kung Fu is all high kicks because that's what my
class did once" lol.

Judo is taught differently just as any other MA, to stereotype it because of the way you learnt it (very watered down by all appearences) is a bit narrow-minded. True Judo is as varied as any groundfighting art, I have been to seminars that have shown it and I know people that do it. Seen it with my own eyes. I hardly think Judo would be able to compete against such a feared art as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu if it was as you say, do you?

Last edited:
Soldato
Trojan said:
I've never seen the point in this, is there a particular reason why the breaking of boards is necessary? It just seems like a showing off technique more than anything else.

It's a test of will and spirit.

The boards themselves aren't that difficult to break. They're plastic breaker boards that slot together. The whole point is, despite being totally knackered after a long grading, you can still focus enough to deliver a strike that's accurate (to break a board you must hit it in the right place) and powerful.

For black belt we have to break a breeze block!

Associate
Ok Judo is for ppl who like roll round on the floor !!!! went to one class and hated it, now i do Korean Karate (blackbelt 1st Dan x x) and have just started Kickboxing, do a bit cross training !
For black belt we have to break a breeze block!
yea i had to break breeze block for my grading as well as 4 other blocks of wood class feeling when you've borken it tho :)

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
ok i went to the shaolin/wing chun thing today...

the shaolin was a lot about series of movements...and putting them together...thats all great, but i dont think in a fight i will be reciting them...wing chun was more direct, ie. punching/blocking but again it didnt really impress me, maybe its cos we were only doing sets of punches in the air, although it did give my arms a good workout....

the guy who was teaching us was a small, middle aged English guy, from first looking at him i thought he didnt have a clue...but he was VERY flexible in the warm ups, and could do punches quite fast

but anyway im going to try to go into town in Canterbury, and do Mui Thai at another Uni there (only place i could find that does it), instead of this 'Kung Fu' thing here at kent uni. Definately doing kickboxing here for the rest of the year though. Next week will go to a Judo class to check it out...oh and our kickboxin instructor comes from a ju jitsu background, and i think he sometimes holds classes for that...might check that out as well

Last edited:
Soldato
Just finshed reading the thread and im very interested but dont know where to begin. There aint any places in bridgwater thats in somerset and the nearest place i can find is in taunton which sounds pretty good http://www.somersetjjalliance.co.uk/index.htm

The only place in town that does ma only studies karate and kickboxing.

The reason i want to get in it is to get fit and be able to defend my self just in case.
I like the sound of belts and rankings and competitions sound fun so what do i do.

Associate
Richdog said:
Wow one word post... how umm... involved lol. Getting charged per letter or something? :p

Nana is your school headed by Samuel then?
erp no. Not at all... I hate all the immature my wc is better than yours rubbish.. but Jim Fung is direct lienage descendant from yip man.. and my sifu was easily pushing samuel kwok around during chi sau, he hit him unanswered four or five times.

After 4 months training I was pushing guys about who had studied under SK for two or three years.

I'm not any good at wing chun, I can't relax enough.

Last edited:
Associate
Morba said:
ahh right :p
not knowing much of the geography myself im limited to saying 1 place :p

cardiff
unbelievably theres a guy called Alex Kozma, or something like that who teaches ba gua kan, a kind of extraordinarily violent tai chi. In haverfordwest.. the guys a dangerous genius, but the most peaceful and spiritual man I have possibly ever met. If you are in wales look him up.

Back
Top Bottom