!!!! The OCUK Martial Arts Thread !!!!

Soldato
Wing Chun student.
to the OP,deciding any style isn't a complete system is like deciding a book is rubbish after only reading a few pages.
as for JKD,the idea sounds fantastic,but the phrase "jack of all trades,master of none" springs to mind.
something reflected in the fact that it's creator,when pressured in a session,reverted back to pure Wing Chun as this was what he knew best of all.

Caporegime
OP
The_Dark_Side said:
Wing Chun student.
to the OP,deciding any style isn't a complete system is like deciding a book is rubbish after only reading a few pages.

It was just my opinion, but one shared by many i've met, some who have practised it for years. They nearly all cross-train in Judo, BJJ or Kali.

as for JKD,the idea sounds fantastic,but the phrase "jack of all trades,master of none" springs to mind.

I'm not going to get into the debate, i'll just say that in my personal opinion the fighters i've met through JKD seem to be more competent than those I met in Wing Chun.

I would rather be good at boxing and good at grappling and handy with a pool cue or kali stick than great at only one of them... any day of the week. I'm never going to be a master of a martial art in my lifetime and though I don't know you I would say it is unlikely you are either. Best to prepare an all-rounded education to cover the different scenarios I may realistically have to face than strive to be something i'll never be. ;)

Soldato
Richdog said:
It was just my opinion, but one shared by many i've met, some who have practised it for years. They nearly all cross-train in Judo, BJJ or Kali.
you're in good company my friend.
a certain Mr.Lee came to the same conclusion (that is after all why he formulated JKD),but then he hadn't mastered Wing Chun.
Richdog said:
I'm not going to get into the debate, i'll just say that in my personal opinion the fighters i've met through JKD seem to be more competent than those I met in Wing Chun.
in a way i can agree,but for different reasons.
people that study JKD are almost always "handy" people.
it has an image of combat and a fairly vicious and effective one at that.
in short it attracts fighters.

Wing Chun attracts students from a much wider pool and many of them are learning because they want to study a form of self defence as a "just in case" precaution.

Caporegime
I am looking to take up a martial art.

I did TKD for a few months and really enjoyed it. I have always liked the kicking aspect of martial arts, always think it looks really graceful.

But I dont know what martial art to take up. Like the idea of Kung Fu, but the punches seem a slightly boring aspect to me.

I know I wont be able to use kicks in a street fight that much, but ideally I am not exactly looking to street fight much. However, I want to be able to handle myself, i.e know how to throw a punch, or block.

Sorry for the vaugeness of the post :p

Caporegime
OP
Brynn I need your location or where you're willing to travel within before I reccommend one, need to have a look tos ee what there is in your area. :)

Soldato
WushuMaster said:
JKD is a philosophy. Its not a style. If you are learning JKD, then are missing the point completely.
we're familiar with the Tao,the priciple remains the same.
essentially dissect as many fighting styles as you see fit and incorporate any of their techniques which work for you.
it makes JKD fighters very difficult to predict but again,it takes years to fully master a single martial art.
JKD requires you to master parts of MANY styles..something many people think is ultimately an unattainable quest.

Caporegime
Richdog said:
Brynn I need your location or where you're willing to travel within before I reccommend one, need to have a look tos ee what there is in your area. :)

Your a star richdog, I am in Aberdeen. Probably wouldn't travel around much to get to one. Probably a 15 min drive at most.

Caporegime
OP
lol I found this one, it's very heavy so you won't be interested in it from what you've said you're looking for but I wish it was near me... http://www.amag.org.uk/

This place looks amazing if you ignore the blurb... there's a variety of options and it looks like they train contact. You will get self-defence form that school but not many kicks or punches compared to TKD or Kung Fu. http://www.smartdefence.co.uk/

Here's a big list of ones in your city... http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/acc/YourCity/CommunityContacts/contact_indlist.asp?ind=11&ind2=117

Would you prefer TKD to those?

WushuMaster said:
JKD is a philosophy. Its not a style. If you are learning JKD, then are missing the point completely.

I'm well aware of the philosophy thanks... but for simplicities sake it is much easier to just say "I practise JKD" rather than "I follow the philosophy of JKD".

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
The_Dark_Side said:
JKD requires you to master parts of MANY styles..something many people think is ultimately an unattainable quest.

For many mastering a single art is an unattainable quest... to do so requires constant practise every day... and in todays world who has time for that when they have a job, kids, and busy social life?

That is why JKD is so effective... in a short space of time you can learn some very practical and immediately applicable fighting techniques, and for someone looking to learn self-defence that is what really matters.

After all, what are the chances you are going to get into a fight with a master of martial arts in your lifetime? Answer: slim to none. :)

Soldato
Richdog said:
For many mastering a single art is an unattainable quest... to do so requires constant practise every day... and in todays world who has time for that when they have a job, kids, and busy social life?

That is why JKD is so effective... in a short space of time you can learn some very practical and immediately applicable fighting techniques, and for someone looking to learn self-defence that is what really matters.

After all, what are the chances you are going to get into a fight with a master of martial arts in your lifetime? Answer: slim to none. :)
what i was trying to say was someone that's dedicated themselves to one style will,all things being equal,be more proficient than someone that's been a student of JKD for the same timespan.
although for self defence purposes i'd advise against JKD as it requires a high level of commitment and fitness,2 quantities that your average self defence student doesn't have enough of.
someone that enjoys combat however will have a different experience of this and will apply whatever it takes to become proficient

Last edited:
Soldato
Small update - Doll and I passed our 4th Kup gradings in Chongshindo after a 2 hour test of our mettle. We both got through without any comments, so next up... full red belt 2nd kup! :)

Caporegime
OP
The_Dark_Side said:
what i was trying to say was someone that's dedicated themselves to one style will,all things being equal,be more proficient than someone that's been a student of JKD for the same timespan.

I have to highly disagree here. If you compare JKD vs Wing Chun and take a student from each class that has learnt each art for 1 year then "all things being equal" the JKD would in my opinion wipe the floor with the WC guy. If there's one thing WC and many other types of Kung Fu don't give you it is quick access to decent fighting ability. They take a lot longer to "piece together", and in the long-term they have no been shown to be any more effective than JKD, except when you factor that Kung Fu usually carries greater health benefits and can be carried into old age. Especially Tai-CHi, which I would say when learned to a high standard is without doubt one of the most effective arts in existence.

although for self defence purposes i'd advise against JKD as it requires a high level of commitment and fitness,2 quantities that your average self defence student doesn't have enough of.

Again I have to disagree completely and wonder what you mean by this... ANY martial art requires a high level of commitment, WC far more than JKD if you want to get proficient, and that's a fact. I have seen people turn up to JKD out of shape only to see dramatic improvements in fitness and fighting ability after only a few short months. You don't NEED to be in shape to do JKD... but by God it will get you IN shape. It's called conditioning, and it has a lot more of that in it than the Kung Fu classes I attended, one of which was renowned for being a "hard and exerting" WC sdhool.

Conditioning is the one big reason why all of the Kung Fu guys who went to Thailand had their arses handed to them on a plate. The Muay Thai guys were so insanely conditioned that almost every fight was over within 1 minute... and those were "Kung Fu masters" of the time. That's why the chinese then created Sanda/San Shou or "fighting Kung Fu" as it's known by some, and they are havign far greater success against the Thai now. :)

Last edited:
Associate
The_Dark_Side said:
Wing Chun student.
something reflected in the fact that it's creator,when pressured in a session,reverted back to pure Wing Chun as this was what he knew best of all.

Have u trained with Kevin Chan? Awesome guy, just got his BJJ brown belt too i think

Soldato
Makaveli said:
Have u trained with Kevin Chan? Awesome guy, just got his BJJ brown belt too i think
no mate i can't lay any claim to fame like that.
<and to be honest that name means nothing to me as i don't take an active interest in who's who.i couldn't name any of the UFC fighters,the last one i saw was UFC4 or 5....only the Gracie name rings a bell with me>
i've met Sam Kwok once and was supposed to get a little Chi Sau in with him but couldn't due to injury.
i train (nowhere near as regular as i should) because i enjoy it.it's improved my combat ability quite a bit,but i was fairly handy before i started WC anyway.
i've boxed and also sampled a few other fighting styles but i've always gravitated back to WC.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Depth said:
Hey darkside (or anyone else), do you know if there are any pure wc users in the ufc / pride / K1?

No, Wing Chun and Kung Fu guys as well as Karate and Ninjutsu guys tried in the early days of the UFC and nearly all fights were over in a minute or two, they got demolished.

Popular excuses are that their arts were too deadly for the ring and could not be used in a sporting environment, however this argument is rubbish seeing as someone trained in BJJJ/Muay Thai etc can kill you just as easily. The reality was that compared to the cross-trained UFC fighters they were simply not conditioned enough to stand up to serious punishment, they lacked the strength and stamina, as well as pressurised fighting training to compete.

However there is a guy whose name escapes me who uses Wing Chun in combination with a couple of other arts and he does very well in the UFC, using Wing Chun principles for striking.

You take any pure Wing CHun or Kung Fu guy and train him 7 days a week to fight in the ring and build up his stamina and endurance to athlete levels and then he will be able to compete better gainst trained ring fighters. However, without that conditioning, he will be in trouble very quickly. :)

Last edited:
Suspended
Thats what I thought, cheers. I think the guy you may be thinking of is David "The Crow" Loiseau, although Im not 100%, as I much prefer Pride to the UFC :)

Interestingly, Mirko "cro cop" Filipovic was a pure kick boxer when he first fought in pride, and he domintaed most of his opponents with ease. I don't really think that means that kickboxing is a superior style to others though, more that he is just a superior athlete with awesome genetic gifts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom