The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
I'm alternating between two fairly nice whiskies at the moment, the most expensive I've owned, Laga 16 and Uigeadail.

On first trying Laga 16 a while ago in a bar I wasn't overly impressed, but I have to say this bottle is growing on me hugely. It has just the right amount of complexity and depth of flavour, it's perfectly balanced between smoke and fruits with a bit of oceany brineyness. I love it. 43% seems like a really nice ABV, it's punchy but by no means overwhelming.

On the other hand I'm not getting on so well with the Oogie. Expectations were really high after reading so many good things about it, but sadly I find it just to be a bit of a big hammer of flavour, it's amazingly smokey and meaty - which I like - but with no subtlety or balance. It's 54% so naturally a hard hitter, but I don't find adding water opens things up at all, it just dilutes what is there already. No interesting flavours and a very 2 dimensional whack on both the nose and palate.

Wonder what others who are well acquainted with these two think? Maybe I'm being stupid comparing a 16 yo with a NAS? Clearly the Oogie is the younger whisky, I just think from a price point of view (with the Ardbeg being more expensive) it's an absolute rout for the Laga.

Should I try the Ardbeg 10 instead? Maybe a few more years in the barrel would help?

Soldato
Ardberg is a more peaty hit from Laga16. Given your comments above before you try that I would try Bowmore 15yo (aka Bowmore Darkest in the older bottlings). It is still smokey but in a more balanced way. The sherried finish gives a nice roundness and flavour. I find it goes well at this time of the year.

Moving lighter still try Talisker, Oban or Highland Park. All still have some peat but not as in your face as some of the strong Islay malts.

Soldato
I really liked Talisker 10 (probably my second favourite bottle so far after the Laga) and Highland Park 12. Never considered a Bowmore so will keep a look out for those.

It took me most of the bottle, but by the time I finished my Laphroaid Quarter Cask I was a fan, so I don't think it's the amount of peat and smoke that means I'm not getting on with the Uige, it's the lack of much else.

Soldato
I know exactly what you mean. Also the big peats tend to sit better in the cold winter months. Your summer palate typically wants lighter flavours. Similar to white wine vs red wine trends at different times of the year.

If you liked Talisker 10 try one of their Distillers Editions. It's a level up.

Soldato
Should I try the Ardbeg 10 instead? Maybe a few more years in the barrel would help?
Having drunk the 10 and slowly working my way through the Ugge myself (amongst others) I don't think you'd enjoy the 10 either. I actually the think the Ugge is more complex due to the sherry casks.. more rounded, richer, slightly sweeter etc. whereas the 10 is just a big hit of classic meaty smoke (there is more to it but I'm making a point :) ). Very Ardbeg. I'd imagine if you're not used to or a fan of big hitting smoke then the Ugge is quite a tough intro. Neither of them are subtle, mind.

If you really don't like the Ugge I'll take it off your hands :D

Soldato
Interesting comments, thanks guys.

I know exactly what you mean. Also the big peats tend to sit better in the cold winter months. Your summer palate typically wants lighter flavours. Similar to white wine vs red wine trends at different times of the year.

If you liked Talisker 10 try one of their Distillers Editions. It's a level up.

I think you might be right, a warm summer evening isn't exactly the time and place for a peat monster. Maybe I'll crack it out in November once I've got the fire going and see what I think then.

Certainly will add Talisker DE to the list, though I do want to branch out to more distilleries too.

I am keen to get back on the sherry influence, I received a bottle of Glenmorangie Lasanta as a gift which sounds good on paper though I've read mostly lacklustre reviews. I'll go in with an open mind though, as my first single malt was Aberlour 12 which has a similarly lukewarm reception yet I really liked it.

Also want to try both Glendronach and Benromach (latter of which I tried the 100 proof 10 yo and fell in love), there's just so many! Might have to start buying half size bottles.

Soldato
eesh if you like Aberlour 12 then find whatever sherry monsters you can get your hands on. I find that stuff far too sickly sweet for my liking but each to their own. You'll probably like Jura - that is also up there.

Try tasting miniatures - 30ml samples. Master of Malt and The whisky exchange sell them. There is even a DrinksByTheDram Sherry Monsters set you can get off the shelf. I've got it in the cupboard from last Christmas and still need to crack it open.

Soldato
eesh if you like Aberlour 12 then find whatever sherry monsters you can get your hands on. I find that stuff far too sickly sweet for my liking but each to their own. You'll probably like Jura - that is also up there.

Try tasting miniatures - 30ml samples. Master of Malt and The whisky exchange sell them. There is even a DrinksByTheDram Sherry Monsters set you can get off the shelf. I've got it in the cupboard from last Christmas and still need to crack it open.
Couldn't get on with my Jura superstition at all, that's sat in the decanter for guests! Being so long ago I may have moved on from the Aberlour 12, who knows.

Associate
I really liked Talisker 10 (probably my second favourite bottle so far after the Laga) and Highland Park 12. Never considered a Bowmore so will keep a look out for those.

It took me most of the bottle, but by the time I finished my Laphroaid Quarter Cask I was a fan, so I don't think it's the amount of peat and smoke that means I'm not getting on with the Uige, it's the lack of much else.

Laphroaig and Ardbeg are lighter spirits than Lagavulin, which really lets the phenolics stand-out. Some folk swear by that, some folk are obsessed with whisky having more depth. I like to think I can appreciate both views.

Been a while since I had Uigeadail, but I remember quite enjoying it. Think I still prefer the Ardbeg 10 though. Lagavulin 16 is still my favourite of the peated Islays; although I haven't had it in maybe a couple of years now. There's so much interesting stuff out there to try instead. I'll definitely come back to it in the future.

Edit:

Just had a squint on Whisky Shop and they have Talisker 57° North on there for £41.25, which is an excellent price. Definitely a step up from the 10 (which I still adore), but not quite as deep and complex as the 18.

I've just received 4 of my 5 bottles from Whisky Shop, and they've gone and changed some of the deals. Now I want to spend another small fortune!!!

Last edited:
Associate
I’m interested to hear what you think of the Redbreast. To me, all of their offerings have a note on the nose that is really strong... try it yourself and then see if you agree.

Markerpen

It does give way to other notes but that’s what leaps out of the glass at my nostrils.

My Waterford Pilgrimage bottle arrived today :eek:

Just trying the Redbreast just now. Purposefully waited to view your spoiler so as not to colour my perception. Must admit, I didn't get marker pen, but I totally understand what you're talking about. It didn't come through as marker pen to me, but more like a young raw spirit type smell. The overwhelming feeling on the nose for me was a rye Manhattan. Tasting it, it has a strong grain whisky vibe to me (probably the green malt used). It starts off nice and rich, oily, coats the mouth...and then just disappears. Such a shame, but that's probably why people like it, as it comes across as flavourful but light and easy to drink. Still, I like it enough that I'd recommend it to someone in the right circumstances.

Man of Honour
Just trying the Redbreast just now. Purposefully waited to view your spoiler so as not to colour my perception. Must admit, I didn't get marker pen, but I totally understand what you're talking about. It didn't come through as marker pen to me, but more like a young raw spirit type smell. The overwhelming feeling on the nose for me was a rye Manhattan. Tasting it, it has a strong grain whisky vibe to me (probably the green malt used). It starts off nice and rich, oily, coats the mouth...and then just disappears. Such a shame, but that's probably why people like it, as it comes across as flavourful but light and easy to drink. Still, I like it enough that I'd recommend it to someone in the right circumstances.
I’ve only got the 12 cask strength and the 21 but have tried the others.

Yeah it’s very curious. I’m not sure whether I could say any are my favourites but I really do like seeing what people think of it.

Glue and poppers were other suggestions! Beyond that, it gives way to some citrus.

In other whisky news, I was gifted a bottle of Johnny Walker blue. It’s surprisingly drinkable and better than I was expecting, me being a little snobby... yes, tasty - BUT not particularly interesting, if that makes sense? I don’t have much to say about it. I’d probably opt for something more interesting. It’s a bit like Japanese whisky in that regard.

Octomore still rules the roost in the Nitefly household. Now that’s an event whisky :D

Soldato
the whole point of JW is it's blended to be inoffensive. Some good stuff goes into it, but it will never blow you away with its complexity. Red is the default. Black has a bit more peat in the background. Gold and Blue level-up some of the constituents in terms of age etc for more length on the palate, but yeah it's not you being snobby, it's just how the product is. What is impressive is the quality of what goes into it however.

Soldato
To me, JW Blue is the ultimate 'smooth' whisky. For people who want to sip a whisky and not really think about it, it's ideal. But then again if that's what you want to do, it's a very high price for that. So it sort of uniquely appeals to people who both don't expect too much from their whisky, and also want to spend quite a lot. And it turns out that surprisingly - or maybe unsurprisingly - it's a product that sells well.

Was that too snobby? :p

Associate
Girlfriend's parents visited the other week and brought over a bottle of the Tamnavulin Tempranillo cask edition. I'm guilty of being a bit snobby about non age-statement expressions from distilleries that usually work for the blended whisky industry but I was pleasantly surprised. Very sweet on the nose, lots of dark fruit and, as one might expect, wine. Not loads going on in the finish. A perfectly pleasant after-dinner whisky.

They also brought round a couple of miniatures of the Arran malt which I'll try at some point in the near future. They don't sound like my usual thing but I'll give them a go!

Soldato
turns out the Arran sample was a Sauternes finish - just stumbled across the empty bottle last night. Also Hudson Manhattan Rye £30 on the river site atm (OOS but can be preordered).

Back
Top Bottom