The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
as it is a lot darker than the Tamnavulin.
Might be caramel colouring? I think Aberlour do that for some of their wares, along with chill filtering, but it's the caramel that will make it look much 'richer'.

Generally, ignore what the whisky looks like as it generally tells you nothing about 'complexity', other than influencing what you think you'll taste when you go in to the tasting. As you've found with Glenfarclas, it's a pretty pale whisky but plenty of sherry influence and substantial complexity.

If everyone could be colourblind when it comes to whisky, the distillery world would be a better place! (And Dalmour would be utterly, utterly screwed)

Associate
I'm really enjoying Arran 10, a proper change from my usual peated ones.

Now...I've been trying to get Hibiki Harmony for months now, and all I can find is either out of stock, or absurd prices in the £100+ region for something that was 60-80 GBP before.

Any pointers?

I've checked in every online store I know of and can't see it either. Quite often stock levels go low on whisky, worth just waiting a few months. As far as pointers go, I would recommend you stop drinking "Japanese" whisky :p .

Edit: It just occured to me that given the recent change in Japanese legislation it may have fallen foul of that? I.e. it's got some Scotch in it, and they can no longer sell it with its current labelling. I may be wrong.

Update

the Glenfarclas 15 was excellent. I am getting a real liking for the single malts that are finished off in Sherry Casks. Even though it comes in at 46% it was still quite nice and didn't give you that nasty burning feeling you get when you drink spirits that are over 40. I would 100% buy this again when I eventually finish it.

The Jura 12 was a bit disapointing. Not quite sure why, but it just seemed a bit flat / light in the taste and nose. However I gave Jura another chance and bought the Jura 18 finished in red wine casks. Now this was a different beast altogether. Much darker finish, with a really nice intense rich taste.

Added another 2 to my collection, both are Sherry Cask finished

Tamnavulin Dobule Cask
Aberlour 12 Double Cask

Haven't tried the new ones yet, however looking at them in the bottles side by side I think the Aberlour is going to have a much more complex sherry finish as it is a lot darker than the Tamnavulin.

Eventually off loaded the nearly full bottle of Laphroaig to my mate as he likes it. Just taking the cork out of the bottle gave me a headache, not sure if I will ever be able to get into tose heavilly peated types from islay.

That's because Jura is a prime example of a distillery with plenty of potential that is completely, and utterly ruined by dreadful ownership*. It tastes flat and thin because it's bottled at 40% and is chill-filtered. Both ominous signs that a whisky is produced for the entry level mass market. I suspect you will find the Tamnavulin similar in body and lack of flavour.

I would suggest not to be afraid of 46% ABV and above, there are very few truly good malts below that. So much so that you can almost consider 46% ABV and above as a badge of quality.

One prime example of an exception would be Glendronach 12, although with the news last week that they've removed the statement "non-chill filtered" from their bottles, who knows what it'll be like going forward.

*One of a fairly long list that includes Bowmore, Dalmore, and countless Speyside distilleries.

Associate
I am getting a real liking for the single malts that are finished off in Sherry Casks.

[snip...]

Eventually off loaded the nearly full bottle of Laphroaig to my mate as he likes it. Just taking the cork out of the bottle gave me a headache, not sure if I will ever be able to get into tose heavilly peated types from islay.

I agree. I definitely have a taste for sherry cask finished single malts and also really do not like the heavily plated malts. :D

Soldato
Why don't you guys try a Springbank, Ledaig or Bunnah 12 as a gentle intro to peat. I used to be adamant I'd hate smoky whiskey forever, but now I'm hooked.

Associate
Why don't you guys try a Springbank, Ledaig or Bunnah 12 as a gentle intro to peat. I used to be adamant I'd hate smoky whiskey forever, but now I'm hooked.

I would steer clear of suggesting Springbank (15 at least), as while it's only lightly peated it's got all the rubbery funk that's going to be challenging. Instead I'd suggest Kilkerran 12, which is far and away the best value malt in existence.

Ledaig 10 is a cracker as well, totally agree with that.

Bunnahabhain 12 isn't peated, however it does have that maritime influence that the south coast Islays have, so may bridge the gap in that sense.

Benromach 10, Clynelish 14, and Oban 14 would be other good examples of lightly (very lightly in the case of Oban) peated whisky to explore.

Associate
If you want to try the other side of Islay Bunna 12 is the way to go, but as Illgresi said it is completely unpeated, so isn't an entry point to peat. Absolutley still worth getting though.

I was given a sample of the Kilkerran heavily peated and it is great. A very different peat experience from Islays. If only it were actually possible to buy the bloody stuff!

Associate
If you want to try the other side of Islay Bunna 12 is the way to go, but as Illgresi said it is completely unpeated, so isn't an entry point to peat. Absolutley still worth getting though.

I was given a sample of the Kilkerran heavily peated and it is great. A very different peat experience from Islays. If only it were actually possible to buy the bloody stuff!

Which Heavily Peated batch did you try? All are excellent, but the batch 3 is utterly superb. I've got all three in the collection. Should be due another one this year.

Have you tried any of the 8 year olds? The recent one is a lot like a Springbank. It's the absolute epitome of the Campbeltown style.

Soldato
Which Heavily Peated batch did you try? All are excellent, but the batch 3 is utterly superb. I've got all three in the collection. Should be due another one this year.

Have you tried any of the 8 year olds? The recent one is a lot like a Springbank. It's the absolute epitome of the Campbeltown style.
Really keen to try any of the 8 year old CSs, any tips on where to find one? I've yet to try anything Campbeltown which I need to set right, if I can't find an 8 CS soon I'll grab a 12y. And should try and get a Springbank 10 soon too I suppose. Only issue is my cabinet is getting rather full and impending house moves means other half is starting to raise eyebrows as bottles arrive.

Associate
Really keen to try any of the 8 year old CSs, any tips on where to find one? I've yet to try anything Campbeltown which I need to set right, if I can't find an 8 CS soon I'll grab a 12y. And should try and get a Springbank 10 soon too I suppose. Only issue is my cabinet is getting rather full and impending house moves means other half is starting to raise eyebrows as bottles arrive.

The Kilkerrans are all limited releases (except the 12) so you'll struggle to find them in shops now. Auctions will usually have them, but be prepared to pay double the rrp.

Bottle flippers are a scourge.

Associate

It is indeed the batch 3 HP. I've not had any of the 8 YO. Honestly I gave up trying to buy Springbank and kilkerrans last year after failing again to get any from a retailer (I refuse to pay extra from the AHs, that just gives incentive to the flipers) as it was just getting annoyingly frustrating. However the person that gave me the HP no 3 also gave me a sample an 8, not the last release though, it's the one before everyone was raving about. I have yet to try it though.

Soldato
The Kilkerrans are all limited releases (except the 12) so you'll struggle to find them in shops now. Auctions will usually have them, but be prepared to pay double the rrp.

Bottle flippers are a scourge.
Is there some way to know when another batch will be released in shops? Just keeping nose to the ground at all times?

Associate
Is there some way to know when another batch will be released in shops? Just keeping nose to the ground at all times?
Facebook whisky groups are probably your best bet. Or spend £50 to join the Springbank society and they will send you info about upcoming releases. But honestly it generally doesn't matter. Even when you know when it is released it is still sold out in minutes (that is not hyperbole, I mean literally minutes) and unless you are registered on every single whisky retailers site in advance even when you find one in stock by the time you go through the registration and checkout procedures they will almost certainly be gone before you finish. It's why I have given up trying to get small batch releases. It just isn't worth the hassle for me.

Soldato
Facebook whisky groups are probably your best bet. Or spend £50 to join the Springbank society and they will send you info about upcoming releases. But honestly it generally doesn't matter. Even when you know when it is released it is still sold out in minutes (that is not hyperbole, I mean literally minutes) and unless you are registered on every single whisky retailers site in advance even when you find one in stock by the time you go through the registration and checkout procedures they will almost certainly be gone before you finish. It's why I have given up trying to get small batch releases. It just isn't worth the hassle for me.
That's quite depressing! Wonder why the prices isn't bumped up so that the people who make the good stuff get properly compensated rather than cash ending up in the pockets of scalpers.

Associate
That's quite depressing! Wonder why the prices isn't bumped up so that the people who make the good stuff get properly compensated rather than cash ending up in the pockets of scalpers.
Because most of the time the whisky just isn't worth much more than they are charging for it.

But the small batch runs, coupled with massive hype and fear of missing out means people go to extraordinary lengths to get it. Then there is the bragging rights with everyone that gets a bottle posting pictures of it online and claiming it is the best thing ever (when usually the bottle isn't even opened) which further drives the hype for the next releases.

The producers should be commended for keeping the prices realistic. They could easily up the prices and people would still pay it, for the next several releases at least, but it would start to drive away their core drinkers. For most people this is a fad, when the fad loses its appeal they will move on but if the suppliers have alienated their core buyers by pandering to the others it would leave them in a bad place.

It's the idiots (or those with money to burn) that spend the inflated prices on the auction houses that fuel the problem, as it just encourages the flippers. If people don't buy it they have no market. But too many just HAVE to have it, because everyone is telling them they need it.

Soldato
Because most of the time the whisky just isn't worth much more than they are charging for it.

But the small batch runs, coupled with massive hype and fear of missing out means people go to extraordinary lengths to get it. Then there is the bragging rights with everyone that gets a bottle posting pictures of it online and claiming it is the best thing ever (when usually the bottle isn't even opened) which further drives the hype for the next releases.

The producers should be commended for keeping the prices realistic. They could easily up the prices and people would still pay it, for the next several releases at least, but it would start to drive away their core drinkers. For most people this is a fad, when the fad loses its appeal they will move on but if the suppliers have alienated their core buyers by pandering to the others it would leave them in a bad place.

It's the idiots (or those with money to burn) that spend the inflated prices on the auction houses that fuel the problem, as it just encourages the flippers. If people don't buy it they have no market. But too many just HAVE to have it, because everyone is telling them they need it.
I think your last sentence is spot on, I won't deny I have a bit of a feeling of fomo going on as everyone seems to be drooling over this 8 yr CS stuff! But yeah I'm not prepared to go silly price so probably best I grab a bottle of 12 at normal retail and see how I get on with that.

I know what you mean about commending the producers, but if they charged more then perhaps they could also end up producing more, and in that way more whisky would end up in the hands of people who will drink it rather than being flipped. Anyway, I guess we've said all that needs to be said, interesting discussion.

Associate
I think your last sentence is spot on, I won't deny I have a bit of a feeling of fomo going on as everyone seems to be drooling over this 8 yr CS stuff! But yeah I'm not prepared to go silly price so probably best I grab a bottle of 12 at normal retail and see how I get on with that.

I know what you mean about commending the producers, but if they charged more then perhaps they could also end up producing more, and in that way more whisky would end up in the hands of people who will drink it rather than being flipped. Anyway, I guess we've said all that needs to be said, interesting discussion.
Potentially they could run the Kilkerran site full time and increase that side of the production, but their Springbank site is running near capacity as it is, remember they are putting out Hazelburn, Springbank and Longrow, all with different distillation processes but all from the same stills. They are a small producer, that does everything in house from the maltings to bottling, and would likely need to add new stills to increase production. That is always risky, as there is no way to ensure they would have the same profile as the current ones and they would probably need to take some staff from Springbank to run Kilkerran which until they get new staff fully trained up, not a quick process, there is the risk of the quality dropping off.

Which is a long winded way of saying it's not quite as straightforward as them charging more and producing more unfortunately.

Associate

I think that's absolutely the best way to go. The 12 year is still absolutely superb whisky, and I'd be more than happy with it if I hadn't managed to get a hold of the others.

Soldato
How did you find this mate? Curious to hear.

Very nice, it's one of the best I have tried from the rye, Im not sure I would purchase again unless it was on special offer though, just because at current price its expensive and is a small 50cl bottle.
Thanks for mentioning it.
I still have some left, but not been drinking much whisky the past week or so.

Soldato
Made an order for some of the good stuff.

The 3 Benromach's are because it's discontinued (it's the 100 proof 10 year) and I've not seen it available in retail for a while, despite hunting for a long while after really enjoying it a few years back. A few experiences from other sites where I've ordered and they message to apologise that it's actually the newer cask strength version despite what's shown on the website, but finally found some actual stock at Luvians so I thought I'd grab a few.

The Kilkerran and Springbank are to dip my toe for the first time in Campbeltown at entry level, which I'm very excited about.

Lastly, I should say it was a very good ordering experience from Luvians. Good comms, good prices (50 for the Benromach, 39 for Kilkerran and 43 for Springbank) and very well packaged.

Back
Top Bottom