The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Man of Honour
I’ve refreshed my Octomore stash with some new additions bought at auction: 6.2, 7.3 and the 10 year old (2nd edition). Quite excited as I don’t really think you can go wrong with them, save that I’d avoid the virgin oak offerings as the one variety I had of that (7.4) was overpoweringly woody.

Very nice, it's one of the best I have tried from the rye, Im not sure I would purchase again unless it was on special offer though, just because at current price its expensive and is a small 50cl bottle.
Thanks for mentioning it.
I still have some left, but not been drinking much whisky the past week or so.
Yes the small size does make it pricier, I was bought it as a gift so I’m slightly immune to that but would be happy to pay again. Loved it!

Soldato
They arrived, phwaooor that’s some whisky pr0n!!!

lzh8o0W.jpg

They do make gorgeous bottles. They're just annoyingly tall! I had to redo shelving just to get the Octomores to fit as they tower above the rest of them.

Have fun! Even at their potent ABV, the 9 and 11 series I've had, they're deceptively non-alcoholic on the nose and taste, so be cautious!

Soldato
Still find indie bottlings quite daunting, do most people move onto them once you've tried most of the OBs? I can't see myself going down that rabbit hole until I've tried at least 1 from core range of most of the main distillery names.

Associate
Lots that I can't remember but these ones I do:

My two favourites:
1. Yoichi Single Malt - lovely taste with a little smoke, but not overpowering. Incredibly morish.
2. Arran Machrie Moor Cask Strength. Just the right amount of smoke for me.

Nice:
1. Glenlivet 18 Year Old
2. Springbank 15 Year Old
3. Arran Amarone Cask Finish
4. Robert Burns Single Malt - for the price it's excellent value
5. Arran 10 Year Old (can be hit and miss though)

Disappointing:
1. Arran 21 Year Old (I had such high hopes for this)
2. Talisker 18 Year Old

Horrific:
1. Nikka from the Barrel (could kill COVID-19 just by winking at it)
2. Jura Journey (smells like emulsion paint)

Soldato
Lots that I can't remember but these ones I do:

My two favourites:
1. Yoichi Single Malt - lovely taste with a little smoke, but not overpowering. Incredibly morish.
2. Arran Machrie Moor Cask Strength. Just the right amount of smoke for me.

Nice:
1. Glenlivet 18 Year Old
2. Springbank 15 Year Old
3. Arran Amarone Cask Finish
4. Robert Burns Single Malt - for the price it's excellent value
5. Arran 10 Year Old (can be hit and miss though)

Disappointing:
1. Arran 21 Year Old (I had such high hopes for this)
2. Talisker 18 Year Old

Horrific:
1. Nikka from the Barrel (could kill COVID-19 just by winking at it)
2. Jura Journey (smells like emulsion paint)

Talisker 18 seems to be very polarising. As a big fan of the 10, I've earmarked it as one I might like to splash out on as it's older than anything I've bought before and I'd like to have one bottle in the cabinet that's 'mature'. You hear some brilliant things about it, and yet a significant number of people say it's not any better than the 10.

Were you disappointed because you had really high hopes, or was it just flat out average?

Associate
Talisker 18 seems to be very polarising. As a big fan of the 10, I've earmarked it as one I might like to splash out on as it's older than anything I've bought before and I'd like to have one bottle in the cabinet that's 'mature'. You hear some brilliant things about it, and yet a significant number of people say it's not any better than the 10.

Were you disappointed because you had really high hopes, or was it just flat out average?

Probably because I had high hopes for it, so perhaps an anti-climax. It's a strange game when it comes to whisky, like the Arran ones where older is not necessarily better - well to my taste. It's such a personal thing though, so difficult to go with recommendations.

Associate
Blimey, if my other half totted up that selection I'd be in the ****! :p Serious expenditure there!

The Bowmore sounds lush. Any reason why so many indie bottlings? Just exploring or..?

Thankfully, my Mrs doesn't get to find out how much I'm spending. She does have a wee moan by the end of the month when I've ran out of cash though!

The Bowmore is exquisite. I've been keen to try a Bowmore for some time that wasn't ruined by the way it's presented by the owners. Absolutely confirms my suspicion that the distillery itself is absolutely capable of producing amazing spirit procided it's treated with the respect it deserves.

The Bunnahabhainn was driven by value actually. At 28 years, it was actually less than half the price of the OB 25 year old. The Cambus...there's not a lot of Cambus going around, and Indys are the only way to try it now. I've never had a single grain from Scotland before, so was keen to try it. The Mortlach, I used to be a huge fan of the F&F 16, but haven't been a huge fan of the OBs since it was discontinued. I've had a number of Indys since, and I just spotted this at auction and nabbed it. I've never tried Tormore (the SMWS bottle), and the OBs are a bit of a pain to get ahold of. Again, spotted at auction and got on a whim.

The Longmornis obviously an OB, but they stopped production in 2007. Loved the Longmorn 16 that replaced it (sadly now also discontinued), and always wanted to try the 15 that preceeded it. Cork broke on me, and had to remove with a corkscrew. Thankfully the whisky inside is ok, and I replaced with a spare cork.

Still find indie bottlings quite daunting, do most people move onto them once you've tried most of the OBs? I can't see myself going down that rabbit hole until I've tried at least 1 from core range of most of the main distillery names.

As I mentioned above, the Bowmore was driven by trying to experience something from the distillery that was well handled. That said, I'm still buying OBs all the time to try. I just spent the past couple of months focusing on something a bit different.

I love the Talisker 18. It's 2nd tier in terms of quality for an 18yr age bracket (still superb), but definitely top tier for value.

Those are the sorts of things I can imagine oggling in an auction! Was this a triumphant return to whisky for you, or a restocking of old favourites?

The three on the right were from auction!

No, as I mentioned above, various reasons, but mainly taking a few months to add some different, interesting things to my collection. I'm back to restocking the budget favourites for a few months after that spending spree, believe me!

Associate
Very annoyed that my Pour and Sip sub is only every two months because I missed May's! :(:( What a box! https://pourandsip.com/products/pour-sip-may-2021-box

Tempted by the Aerolite Lyndsay which is £31 in the member store though, anyone had it?

I'm sure the Lagavulin and Laphroaig are lovely too but one thing at a time... lol

I was looking at purchasing a Sub for expanding my experience, are there any particular ones that are more highly regarded? Probably looking at spending up to £100 a month on a selction.

Back
Top Bottom