The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
I was looking at purchasing a Sub for expanding my experience, are there any particular ones that are more highly regarded? Probably looking at spending up to £100 a month on a selction.
£100 per month? Huh? PAS is only £30 a month and you get 5x 30ml tasters. That's more than one a week to taste, I don't think you'd need much more than that!

No-one had the Aerolite Lyndsay? :confused:

Soldato
I was looking at purchasing a Sub for expanding my experience, are there any particular ones that are more highly regarded? Probably looking at spending up to £100 a month on a selction.
I think you'd do better to select your own tasters from e.g. Master of Malt's Drinks By the Dram https://www.masterofmalt.com/samples/whisky-samples/

Then you can explore exactly what you want, and then go further into a distillery's samples than just take whatever the subscription service has decided to give you.

Soldato
Got my Bruichladdich/Port Charlotte/Octomore Fèis Ìle set in. Looking forward to the session when these get opened. The abvs are potent, but this distillery manages to make even those pushing 70% extremely quaffable.

PXL-20210508-162801108.jpg

Associate
£100 per month? Huh? PAS is only £30 a month and you get 5x 30ml tasters. That's more than one a week to taste, I don't think you'd need much more than that!

No-one had the Aerolite Lyndsay? :confused:

I think you'd do better to select your own tasters from e.g. Master of Malt's Drinks By the Dram https://www.masterofmalt.com/samples/whisky-samples/

Then you can explore exactly what you want, and then go further into a distillery's samples than just take whatever the subscription service has decided to give you.

Thanks I went with a monthly and purchsed a couple of the previous monthly's too.

I like the randomness of not picking, I find it far more fun to expirience it like this. One of my consultants will often bring a dram from an end of a bottle for me to try after I sold him som Ardbeg at cost, his rule is he never tells me if it's a £30 bottle or £300 bottle but I'm allowed a region. It's great fun and since I can't google reviews or taster notes I go in blind each time. The only one time I've wanted to know what a bottle was turned out to be an Edition 06.3 from Octomore, something I'd never be able to justify buying made worse by the fact he gave me far more than a dram!

Soldato
I had a dram in my advent calendar… I wasn’t impressed really; it was very smokey and that’s not the kind of Scotch I enjoy.
Nothing wrong in knowing what you like.

You may find that your tastes change with time and also with season etc. I never cared much for smokey peaty whiskies when I first got into it but now enjoy them, but mainly in winter months. Summer sees a lot less consumption and lighter drams.

Soldato
Yeah. I was dead set against peaty whiskies but then a switch just flipped. I might give it a whirl, it should stop me buying anything more expensive for the time being :p

Soldato
Added another Sherry Bomb to my collection. Picked up a bottle of Glendronach 12 matured in PX and then oloroso casks. Had a taste yesterday, it's very rich when you first taste it a bit like a really heavilly boozed christmas cake with loads of fruits in it. This then turns into a more toffee / vanilla fudge type flavour before ending a bit more woody with more flavours of dried fruit coming through. Overall a very pleasant drink. Don't think you could do a full session on it as it is quite rich so a couple of small drams and you are pretty much done. But it's relly nice just letting the flavours and tastes roll over your tongue as you sip it really slowly

Soldato
Added another Sherry Bomb to my collection. Picked up a bottle of Glendronach 12 matured in PX and then oloroso casks. Had a taste yesterday, it's very rich when you first taste it a bit like a really heavilly boozed christmas cake with loads of fruits in it. This then turns into a more toffee / vanilla fudge type flavour before ending a bit more woody with more flavours of dried fruit coming through. Overall a very pleasant drink. Don't think you could do a full session on it as it is quite rich so a couple of small drams and you are pretty much done. But it's relly nice just letting the flavours and tastes roll over your tongue as you sip it really slowly
I have the 21 and that is a very complex thing that changes a great deal over time too. Water is a must I've found for me to be able to tease out the flavours. It's not one for a casual sip, it's a definite long session on one glass job which helps to make the price feel a little more reasonable!

I gather change is afoot at the distillery though with their approach to things, and not necessarily in a good way.

Associate
The 'old fashioned' has been my latest treat. Nice with Woodford Reserve borboun, but now discovered that Gentleman Jack is perfect for it.

Soldato
Made the decision that sometimes it's worth spending a little more for the finer things in order to give one's mental wellbeing a much needed boost during these troubled times?
I suppose that's one way to look at it. I'd tried a few drams of it while in London a few years and lovely it. I just haven't had the balls to buy it, although I'm going to reserve it for special occasions, engagement, wedding, house purchasing, or having a baby, etc

Soldato
Picked up two of the game of thrones ones at a distillery on my way past. Wasn't going to buy anything but less than £50 for the pair it seemed justifiable. Got the talisker and singleton ones. Looking forward to trying then when we get chance to open them. Not expecting amazing things but hopefully reasonable.

Associate
I suppose that's one way to look at it. I'd tried a few drams of it while in London a few years and lovely it. I just haven't had the balls to buy it, although I'm going to reserve it for special occasions, engagement, wedding, house purchasing, or having a baby, etc

For sure, I mean you only get one life so quite often I find myself overruling the head and charging ahead with the heart! lol

My favourite whisky, Yoichi single malt, fortunately only costs £65 but even that makes my wife shake her head. But it's not even a tank of fuel in the car and you don't think twice about filling up the car!

Soldato
For sure, I mean you only get one life so quite often I find myself overruling the head and charging ahead with the heart! lol

My favourite whisky, Yoichi single malt, fortunately only costs £65 but even that makes my wife shake her head. But it's not even a tank of fuel in the car and you don't think twice about filling up the car!
I do. Usually on the motorway while I crunch head-maths trying to work out if I can make it to a normal petrol station and bypass the motorway prices

Soldato
Made the decision that sometimes it's worth spending a little more for the finer things in order to give one's mental wellbeing a much needed boost during these troubled times?

This the only way I approach whiskey these days. Life is too short to buy the standard stuff. Treat yourself I say and go big now and again.

Just finished a bottle of Red Breast 21. There was an offer on Amazon a while back so grabbed a couple of bottles. Far too good an opportunity to pass up.

Soldato
if i had the funds I would endorse this too. buy one nice bottle instead of 2/3 "affordable" ones. You pay the same, and enjoy it far more. Ok, less variety in your cupboard, but how often does it really matter. Just have one summer whisky and one winter whisky and job's a good'un

Soldato
To play devils advocate, I'd say most of the time you'd not get twice as much enjoyment out of a 100 quid bottle as a 50 quid one. Diminishing returns kick in big time. And variety is the spice of life. So for me it's a more varied cabinet. I'm not saying you should scrimp and buy' value' whisky when you can afford better to treat yourself, but paying past 50 quid becomes money not that well spent imo.

Soldato
To play devils advocate, I'd say most of the time you'd not get twice as much enjoyment out of a 100 quid bottle as a 50 quid one. Diminishing returns kick in big time. And variety is the spice of life. So for me it's a more varied cabinet. I'm not saying you should scrimp and buy' value' whisky when you can afford better to treat yourself, but paying past 50 quid becomes money not that well spent imo.
I suppose that could be said about anything but yes I get your point. Having opened the Macallan, do I feel its with £200 more than some of my £50 bottles, granted those are peated, no I don't. But then if there is a market and people are willing to pay for it why not. Its a bit like my R8 Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul. It cost me £3500,is it worth that much more than the Standards cost at the time? No, but it does feel better to play.

Back
Top Bottom