Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 29.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Received the MacBook today it’s very impressive a lot of performance and no noise. It happily runs Civ VI at max detail over 30fps and completely silent. I’m very impressed....

Soldato
I grabbed an Anker one it allows usb c power pass through and has hdmi 2.0 out and a pair of usb 3 ports and card reader. It works perfect they sell them with pretty much any arrangement of ports if you search.

Soldato
Sent my MacBook M1 back - hooking it up to an external display made all the text blurry. Apple support couldn't help, tried a few options, none of which worked.

Shame really as otherwise it's a fantastic device.

Soldato
Sent my MacBook M1 back - hooking it up to an external display made all the text blurry. Apple support couldn't help, tried a few options, none of which worked.

Shame really as otherwise it's a fantastic device.

Pretty sure you just needed to change the scaling ? I’m sure that’s what I’d did with same issue....

Soldato
Pretty sure you just needed to change the scaling ? I’m sure that’s what I’d did with same issue....

Tried all the scaling options, none of which worked. Plenty of other folk online having the exact same issue, one of those annoying things really but it's not something you can test until you have it in hand.

The typing experience on the new MacBook's is insanely good. Trying not to think of the overall experience too much as it was a brilliant device, but if it doesn't work with my external monitor, it's a none starter.

Soldato
Tried all the scaling options, none of which worked. Plenty of other folk online having the exact same issue, one of those annoying things really but it's not something you can test until you have it in hand.

The typing experience on the new MacBook's is insanely good. Trying not to think of the overall experience too much as it was a brilliant device, but if it doesn't work with my external monitor, it's a none starter.

Strange not had that with mine I have only tried it on a 1080p monitor and my TV with an Anker adapter.

Im really happy with mine was playing Divinity 2 last night and it runs perfect and is silent.

Soldato
My 512/16gb Air arrived today.

Just opening it showed it was better than my 2015 MBP. Cleaner tighter design. Brighter screen, and better speakers.

Just for ***** and giggles I ran a Geekbench. 1744 single / 7685 multi vs 765 single / 1706 multi.

Think I'm going to enjoy this.

What I don't get is https://isapplesiliconready.com/

It lists apps like Lightroom as having M1 native support but then says it needs Rosetta 2. Why if it has native M1 support. Same for VLC

Last edited:
Associate
Loving my M1 MBP, but god damn those front edges are sharp on mine. Really starting to hurt my palms when resting it on my knees. Any remedies folks? It's the only gripe I have, but literally slicing layers of skin!

Soldato
This was the gripe I had about the old MBP cut out on the track pad. Horrible compared to my old Air. That's partly why I chose the Air this time around. The curvature of the Air is more ergonomic IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a 16" MacBook Pro which I use whenever I need the bigger screen but I also have an M1 MacBook Air and have had it for a month or so now. I've noticed that the battery drains a bit overnight when in sleep mode, not that much, about 2-3% or so but I never had this with any of my Intel Macs.

Perhaps more annoyingly though, it seems to drain some battery even when it's fully powered off. Again, not a huge amount but that's not something I ever had with any of my Intel Macs. Does anyone else have this?

Indeed according to this thread, it's not unheard of: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252216403

Last edited:
Soldato
My I5 MBP used to sometimes drain the battery overnight. Like 30% or more. Checking the system monitor and energy usage wouldn't show any significant users. It went away in the end. Can't remember if it was an update to Big Sur that sorted it, or something else.

Soldato
Just browsing the Apple website looking at the new M1 chips.

I take it that it's the same M1 chip across all devices? I have a full windows desktop so i'm looking at the Mac mini to go along side it.

Seems like really good value starting @ £699 and £899.

Soldato
Just browsing the Apple website looking at the new M1 chips.

I take it that it's the same M1 chip across all devices? I have a full windows desktop so i'm looking at the Mac mini to go along side it.

Seems like really good value starting @ £699 and £899.
In the Mac Mini they are indeed the same chip.

There is slight variation in the laptop, one has 7 gpu cores and one has 8 but otherwise the same!

Soldato
In the Mac Mini they are indeed the same chip.

There is slight variation in the laptop, one has 7 gpu cores and one has 8 but otherwise the same!
I’m torn between getting a MacBook or the Mac mini.

I can use the MacBook in a dock to use with my current monitor but also I can take it out with me where as with the mini it’s always stationary.

Just means having two keyboards and two mice or swapping them over between systems.

Soldato
I’m torn between getting a MacBook or the Mac mini.

I can use the MacBook in a dock to use with my current monitor but also I can take it out with me where as with the mini it’s always stationary.

Just means having two keyboards and two mice or swapping them over between systems.
I am in the same boat. I am looking to swap over to a mac but can't make my mind up. I've got a Windows desktop at the moment. In my mind I could replace the desktop with a Mac mini and keep my monitor, keyboard and so forth. I am then thinking of one of the new iPads to replace my Air2 and that will cover all my portable needs or I have a docked MacBook that is both my portable needs and my desktop. I have a Surface laptop from work that is provided for WFH but unfortunately that's not a long term thing for me.

I am honestly going to be holding off for the next gen M chips anyway. I'll definitely be interested to see the iMac offerings.

Soldato
IMO the MBP/MBA would be wasted in a permeant dock. In that case I'd buy a mini which will also be ever so slightly fast due to better cooling.

But if you don't already have a laptop then MBP/MBA would make sense. Probably hold their value a little better than the mini as well.

Soldato
I am in the same boat. I am looking to swap over to a mac but can't make my mind up. I've got a Windows desktop at the moment. In my mind I could replace the desktop with a Mac mini and keep my monitor, keyboard and so forth. I am then thinking of one of the new iPads to replace my Air2 and that will cover all my portable needs or I have a docked MacBook that is both my portable needs and my desktop. I have a Surface laptop from work that is provided for WFH but unfortunately that's not a long term thing for me.

I am honestly going to be holding off for the next gen M chips anyway. I'll definitely be interested to see the iMac offerings.
I can’t get rid of my windows desktop though as it’s my full time gaming rig and my whole setup is based around windows so I just need to decide on permanent Mac mini or portable.

Are we likely to see a refresh towards the end of 2021 for either the M1x or M2 chips?

Soldato
IMO the MBP/MBA would be wasted in a permeant dock. In that case I'd buy a mini which will also be ever so slightly fast due to better cooling.

But if you don't already have a laptop then MBP/MBA would make sense. Probably hold their value a little better than the mini as well.
That’s also my thinking, how nice the screens are on the MPB to then be left in a dock not getting the benefit.

I have a 4K screen but it’s completely geared towards gaming and not colour reproduction for photo editing.

I think I’ll change and go MPB instead as I can at least get away from my computer and still do my work.

Back
Top Bottom