Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 29.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
I can’t get rid of my windows desktop though as it’s my full time gaming rig and my whole setup is based around windows so I just need to decide on permanent Mac mini or portable.

Are we likely to see a refresh towards the end of 2021 for either the M1x or M2 chips?
That's fair enough. My gaming goes as far as Football Manager!

I believe a refresh is expected but nothing official.

Soldato
What makes an Apple refurb?

Damaged or faulty or can it be something simple like an unwanted but opened box?

Also I’m guessing you couldn’t tell the difference between a refurb and brand new?

Commissario
OP
What makes an Apple refurb?
Something someone has bought and then returned.

Damaged or faulty or can it be something simple like an unwanted but opened box?
Any of those.

Also I’m guessing you couldn’t tell the difference between a refurb and brand new?
You really can't - I've had some refurbished products and the only difference is that the box says refurb on it. If anything, the condition of a refurb is pretty much guaranteed to be perfect because it's not rolled off a production line and gone into a box automatically but it's been through the hands of a real person.

I've had a couple of iPad refubs and the MacBook I bought a few years ago was a refurb. It had a handful of cycles on the battery as opposed to zero but physically it was perfect. I don't know if it still happens but I remember hearing reports that it wasn't unknown for a machine to arrive and be higher spec than was advertised on the refurb site.

Soldato
Amex currently doing £50 off £500 spend if you add the offer to your card, it says iPhone 12 Pro in the title but I reckon it works on anything.
Offer valid until 31 March 2021.
This promotion is intended for UK Cardmembers only.
Offer only available Online at apple.com/uk/
Apple finance is excluded from this offer.
Purchases on Apple iTunes, apps and Apple Music are excluded from this offer.
Offer only available to the first 30,000 Cardmembers who save the offer to their Card.
Only one £50 statement credit per UK Card.
Offer is only intended for the targeted recipient of this offer.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Just got the 13" pro with 16gb of RAM for work and the thing is a beast. Only thing that is not perfect about it is the fact it can only drive one of my LG 4ks monitors so I probably need to sort out something different with displays. So fast and I have been setting it up for about 2.5 hours and the battery has only dropped about 22%.

The full sized pro versions of these will make a lot of people switch to macs who have complained about performance / cost. There have been a few hiccups setting up my dev environment but I seem to have got it at just the right time where everything has a simple fix so far.

Edit: Genuinely can't believe how quick this thing is. Most actions are just instant. Even simple things like loading a web page are way quicker.

Last edited:
Associate
I think for a long time Macs have been excellent value even before the M1 dropped, but some stubborn tech ‘enthusiast’ mindset would always tell you otherwise.

Honestly, I’m loving the fact that the M1 (and those that will come after it) are just making those arguments look even more ridiculous.

fez

fez

Caporegime
There is simply nothing on the market currently that comes close to the M1 devices. There are other laptops that claim to get as good battery life but they are lower powered POS. This is genuinely amazing what they have achieved.

Soldato
I was watching a video this morning that had the Mac mini faster than the MacBook Pro in terms of cpu speed etc but pretty much identical when using it as you would day to day.

Can someone please make the decision for me? MPB or Mac mini? :p

Soldato
I don’t know exactly what models you are looking at/comparing or prices etc but just for sheer versatility I would always say MBP over mini.
My 16 pretty much lives in my office docked to my monitor however it is always great to know that I can just unplug it and take it to the living room or wherever and pick up where I left off.

Soldato
I don’t know exactly what models you are looking at/comparing or prices etc but just for sheer versatility I would always say MBP over mini.
My 16 pretty much lives in my office docked to my monitor however it is always great to know that I can just unplug it and take it to the living room or wherever and pick up where I left off.
Both the MPB/Mini in a 16GB/512GB variant. :)

Back
Top Bottom