Poll: *** The official AirTag thread (it comes in packs of four and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy AirTags?

• Yes, I'll get one

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Yes, I'll get a pack of four

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • No

Votes: 30 35.3%

• Total voters

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I do wonder how it's going to work in practice when my wife takes the car out with the AirTag. Luckily she doesn't have an iPhone so it won't give her the message about an AirTag detected "moving with you". However it will make a sound so I guess this will need to be disabled.

Man of Honour
Tempted to order one and hide it in my bike, hopefully they're small enough to fit in my handlebars/someone makes a holder that integrates into the bar end caps.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Tempted to order one and hide it in my bike, hopefully they're small enough to fit in my handlebars/someone makes a holder that integrates into the bar end caps.

Thing is, it's not designed to be used for stolen items. If someone stole your bike, after a short while, if the thief had an iPhone, he would be alerted that an AirTag is tracking him, then it would make a noise. Once located, the battery can easily be removed from the AirTag.

Man of Honour
Thing is, it's not designed to be used for stolen items. If someone stole your bike, after a short while, if the thief had an iPhone, he would be alerted that an AirTag is tracking him, then it would make a noise. Once located, the battery can easily be removed from the AirTag.

Hmm maybe I'm misunderstanding how they work, i thought you could track it whenever and that it uses other iOS devices to update it's location, I assumed it only alerts other users/plays a noise when it's in 'lost mode' like when you make your phone play a sound when you track it via FindMy.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Hmm maybe I'm misunderstanding how they work, i thought you could track it whenever and that it uses other iOS devices to update it's location, I assumed it only alerts other users/plays a noise when it's in 'lost mode' like when you make your phone play a sound when you track it via FindMy.
Apple didn’t want these used maliciously so if the AirTag is away from its owner and detected as moving with another iPhone user it will notify them, including the alarm.

Soldato
That should work as UWB is turned off when flight mode is on so that tracking thing shouldn’t activate when the tag is closer to another passenger when it’s in the hold. You could track your suitcase around the airport if the baggage handlers carry iPhones - awesome!

Associate
I may buy a pack of 4, but then use most of them for presents for friends. I'd only really use one for my keys and that's it. Although since I'm on an iPhone SE which doesn't have the U1 chip I'm not sure if it would be decent or not?

Soldato
Someone commented on a YouTube video about using one for airport luggage so you know exactly where your bag is at baggage reclaim - now that’s a great use!

Are people over estimating how these work? Surely the range is extremely limited and it’s not like it updates in real time so that’s simply not going to work and you’ll spend all your time looking at a screen saying it’s either not found or “updating” and not actually giving an accurate representation of where it is.

Back
Top Bottom