Poll: *** The official AirTag thread (it comes in packs of four and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy AirTags?

• Yes, I'll get one

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Yes, I'll get a pack of four

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • No

Votes: 30 35.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Hi. Thinking of getting some of these, specifically one for the car.

I've read that if the tag is away from your phone for a length of time they start beeping.. Is this correct? I want to hide one in the car, but being in an apartment I'm not usually close to it so don't want to beeping all the time in the car park.
The beeping isn't that loud, nobody will notice it especially if you hide it under the covers somewhere. There are also dedicated car trackers with their own GPS module and mobile data connection, they cost about £50.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So, I have no idea what AirTags are good for. Can I have one on my keyring and then use that to find my keys if I lose them? Or is it for a different use case?

That’s one of the main use cases. If you misplace your keys in your house for example you can use the Ultra wide band Bluetooth as a sort of compass on your phone to find your keys. Outside of your house an AirTag will report to other iPhones it’s whereabouts allowing you to see it on find my app. It will also make a noise after a while to alert people it has been separated from your phone.

Soldato
That’s one of the main use cases. If you misplace your keys in your house for example you can use the Ultra wide band Bluetooth as a sort of compass on your phone to find your keys. Outside of your house an AirTag will report to other iPhones it’s whereabouts allowing you to see it on find my app. It will also make a noise after a while to alert people it has been separated from your phone.
Awesome. Thank you. I'll probably get two. One for my keyring and one for my wallet.

Associate
Soldato
I use an I-Clip which is AirTag compatible, great wallet

That looks amazing but my wallet was bought for me from my Dad who has passed away so I'll have to find a different way. I guess I could just slip it into the back under one of the cards although if it bends it too much I'll be annoyed.

Soldato
Every few weeks I seem to look at Air tags along with some of the other options from a few other brands which I can't remember off the top of my head. Can someone explain roughly how something works if it does get lost? Let's say I'm out in countryside rather than 'lost them under a cushion in the house'. If I go to Find my iPhone with my air tag connected would it show a location at that point? On one of the other brands I looked at someone would have to find the keys and connect it to their phone to then show the location to me, or a similar process which isn't ideal.
Is that the case with an Air Tag?
Thanks!

Commissario
OP
If you lose something in the wild, any passing iPhone will automatically register the AirTag location and upload it so you can see where it was last seen. It's not like the Tile things where people actively have to have the Tile app installed. Every iPhone is always listening for these unless the owner opts out.

You can look on your iPhone using the Find My app and it'll show you the last known location of the AirTag.

So you can see they immediately had a huge user base around the world to help find lost items compared to other such trackers like Tile.

Commissario
OP
My wife has been away since Tuesday last week, she left her keys at home. Her keys have an AirTag attached. On Thursday, I noticed a noise occasionally but I couldn't work out where it was coming from. She came home Thursday evening and went back away later at night and again, after a couple of days I noticed a noise again from time to time.

It was the AirTag sending out the "Hey, you're being stalked" alert!

When I hold her AirTag near my phone, I get this. Note I've blanked out the serial number and the phone number is only shown as a partial but I've blanked it as well.

TizYYXL.png

I assume if she were to flag it as lost in Find My, it'd show me her contact number. She'll be back in the next couple of days so it'll stop bleeping at me. The link for instructions to disable go to the page showing how to take the battery out.

Soldato
Any recommendations for little keychain cases? I love the look of the dbrand ones but I'm not spending $40 odd to ship over here :o

Back
Top Bottom