**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Soldato
Lol not quite. I tend to move them on pretty quickly these days.

Currently only have 4 (P40Pro+, Nokia 1020,Nokia 808, and an old HTC butterfly)

Peaking my interest - (Mate 40 Pro +, Fold 2, Pixel 5, although my interest it waning)

Soldato
Have just switched from a Note 9 to a Mi 10 Lite 5G.

Amazing what you can get for only £239 these days. All glass, AMOLED, 5G and same amount of RAM as the Note 9. 765G is perhaps slightly slower than the Exynos in the Note 9.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10159&idPhone2=9163

Makes me regret spending the £750 I did on the Note 9, just over two years ago.

Can I ask why you changed from the Note 9 to the Mi 10 Lite?

I have a Note 9, and I'm really struggling to justify any sort of upgrade, because the Note 9 is just so flippin competent at everything, I would need a top of the line phone to get better performance/screen/battery/camera etc , but then the cost involved for slightly better features would be uneconomical imo. The only one thats peaking my interest is the Mi 10 Ultra, but even then the base model to import is over £700, and I'd be losing headphone socket, ip rating, s-pen (I use it from time to time), notification light, a better screen. But I would like something shiny and new :D

Soldato
Can I ask why you changed from the Note 9 to the Mi 10 Lite?

I was bored really. Also the Note 9 has had some wear over the last 2 years, so having something new is nice.

The 765G isn't too far behind the the Note 9 in terms of performance. The Mi 10 Lite is all glass and has an AMOLED screen so I didn't think I was losing much from the Note 9 in terms of screen and construction. I used the S pen so rarely I don't see it as a loss. The camera is also decent although obviously not as good as the Note 9. Faster charge times is handy.

In theory I could sell the Note 9 for £200 as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Liking the look of the realme x7 pro as a possible upgrade at some point. As the k30 ultra won't be going global and this hopefully will its possibly top of my list in a few months.

Soldato
I have asked before about the Redmi 9 but there was little difference between it and my Honor 8x
I am still looking at a upgrade so would the Redmi 9 Pro be worth the $239 on Gearbest.
To be honest I don't need an upgrade but would like a new phone again. I can't justify any more than price above.

Associate
I'm sure it's a good phone but at that price there may be better alternatives, the POCO X3 NFC is being launched next Monday, also the MI 10 Lite was recently at £239 on the rainforest although it has just gone back up to £299. Both the MI 10 Lite and MI Note 10 Lite are a little over £200 on eGlobalCentral although eGC can be poor at times. Just throwing in some alternatives for you...

Associate
Just ordered a Realme X50 5G for £239 with the ebay pocket20 discount code, not had a new phone in four years so should be a good upgrade.
X50 does look a good phone at that price. That's the sd765g version isn't it. Its the pro that has the sd865.
The only thing that puts me off buying a phone with the 765g is that I'd actually take a slight drop in performance compared to my kirin 980. Apart from 5g that is but I'm mot that fussed by it yet as I'm not likely to be using 5g that often on the south coast until its rolled out further across the country and not just the big cities.

hux

hux

Soldato
Liking the look of the realme x7 pro as a possible upgrade at some point. As the k30 ultra won't be going global and this hopefully will its possibly top of my list in a few months.

Likewise, I'm hoping for sd865, but mediatek dimensity 1000+ will suffice.

Failing that Mi 10 ultra when it drops.

Soldato
If Xiaomi ever went a stock Android root with flagship specs, it will sell like hotcakes

I personally disagree. For one, I don't think your average person is that bothered. Look how many phones Samsung sell. Also, there shouldn't be that many people not buying Xiaomi because of their OS any more as MIUI is very nice now.

Associate
I haven't used miui since I had my redmi note 3 which I think ran miui 7. Never found it hard to use back then. For me whatever OS/skin on a phone that I've had, I soon get used to it. People used to complain about emui that I'm running but I've never found any issue with it.

Associate
Just out of interest, when I was running the redmi note 3 (China version) I had side loaded play store but I found banking apps stopped working (UK). Does anyone still have have this or similar issues on newer non global/China phones.
The main reason I ask is because as I have stated previously I'm interested in getting either the K30 ultra or realme x7 pro in a few months time when my contract ends and currently there aren't any global versions of these phones and no plans for the k30 ultra to go global at all. X7 pro might go global but no conformation.
I realise the lack of band 20 will be a hindrance with either o2 or Vodafone based mvno's but I will just have to either put up with H+ or 5g I suppose for the most part if I didn't end up on a EE or 3 based sim only.

Associate
band 20 is a big loss for all UK networks they all use it for range as its 800Mhz.
True all networks now use it to an extent but when I was on 3 with my redmi note 3 they had only just got use of band 20 when I was going over to virgin and I found it was fine without band 20 as I believe 3 were only using it for phones compatible with 4g super voice. Again I went to Virgin (EE at the time, going to run off Vodafone soon) and found it fine without band 20 as it mainly runs off band 3 like 3 did which is 1400mhz I think.

Associate
Ah, I have just realised what my problem with the redmi note 3 was for the banking apps. I had unlocked the bootloader to get rid of a shoddy custom rom that the vendor (coolicool) sent it with which had playstore pre installed which was fine for about a year before it just wouldn't update anything including miui. So I installed the Chinese rom and side loaded Google stuff. Everything worked apart from my banking apps which I now realise wouldn't work because the bootloader was still unlocked for security reasons. I couldn't put a global rom on it because the mediatek version didn't have one. Only the snapdragon (pro) version did.

Back
Top Bottom