The Official Dell 2407WFP thread

Soldato
No I still have a crt at the moment. I'm trying to figure out if I go for the 2405 when the 2407 comes out (hoping it will have dropped in price a lot...)

Or just got for the 2407 - if it's a lot better..

Man of Honour
yeah, they are both PVA panels, the same one by the looks of things (Samsung PVA LTM240W1 panel), but with a new level of overdrive applied to the 2407WFP

Ste

Ste

Soldato
swings and roundabouts. im sure overdriving the display will have negative effects, and that the panel still wouldn't be good enough to play FPS games on properly anyway.

if it were me in the market for a 24" screen i'd wait, but only because the new model will drive down the price of the old one (second hand etc) :)

Associate
im not upgrading from my dell2405fpw, its just not worth it.

The dell 2405fpw is ace, i love it and it was worth every penny 59500 of them to be exact.

I dont think the dell2407wfp has enough new things or improvements to see the change in hardware.

Last edited:
Associate
is there any news of other manufacturers releasing 24" panels?

I think its acer with one currently out and of course the 23" apple

The 2405 seems really popular so im surprised other companies havent taken advantage of this and undercut dell.

S_D

S_D

Associate
Nixeh said:
The dell 2405fpw is ace, i love it and it was worth every penny 595000 of them to be exact.
QUOTE]

You paid nearly £6k for a monitor. :eek: Why not get 3 30" panels and keep the pocket the difference with a new crossfire rig too? :D

Simon.

Man of Honour
Ste said:
swings and roundabouts. im sure overdriving the display will have negative effects, and that the panel still wouldn't be good enough to play FPS games on properly anyway.

there hasn't been any improvements in the black to white response times in any displays for quite some time now. I was talking to Arufflel about this last night as well. Saying a screen is not good for gaming purely on the black > white response time is a little harsh really.

The problem manufacturers have now is that they've pretty much hit a brick wall when it comes to "response time" in the traditional sense. ie, the ISO norm black > white transition, where you see "code 255" on response time graphs from THG and the likes. TN Film panels are stuck at about 12ms, IPS at about 16ms, and PVA / MVA at around 16ms - 20ms. Since manufactuers have always applied the maximum voltage to the crystals for this transitions (since it is the largest change in orientation needed) they can't use the principals of overdrive to improve this response time transition any further. All the "faster" models being reduced, quote at 4ms, 3ms, 8ms (on PVA and MVA) etc are all based on grey to grey transitions.

The idea behind this is applying an overvoltage to the crystals even when it's not needed to make them change faster (this is in lamens terms). Since the transitions are not as drastic as black > white, this extra voltage helps orientate them faster and so they can reduce response time considerably. As such, G2G transitions are reduced, and this has allowed all the modern generaiton of screens to be listed as lower response times. This includes break through models like the Viewsonic VP191B which is still about 16ms at black > white (ISO point). The Viewsonic VX922 is still as slow as about 12ms at the ISO point, even though it is arguably one of the fastest screens in the market and rated at 2ms!

This is the same for all the modern screens, but manufacturers needed a way to relate these improvements which overdrive bring about. Overdrive does have some issues, sometimes leading to white halos behind moving objects, and added noise in movie playback, but this is down to how well it's application is controlled, which is improving with time.

The 2407WFP is not going to improve on the black > white transition, and i doubt any technologies will improve at this point for a while now. However, it has improved the level of overdrive used and so grey transitions should be lower. Remember also that a panel is far more likely to make intermediate transitions in real use than black > white changes, and so the grey transitions are more important to consider the overall responsiveness of the panel. The black > white point was only ever picked because it was the fastest, and only because of the voltage control talked about above.

hope that makes sense, and clears up any confusion

Back
Top Bottom