*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Associate
I don't think elite has much left in it now as they keep making bad decisions over and over. Whe the game first came out (xbox) I play it in for hours but this year I not been on it much a everything keep getting push back or fix thing which was not broken. We use to alway do powerplay but not done it in long time

Soldato
I don't think elite has much left in it now as they keep making bad decisions over and over. Whe the game first came out (xbox) I play it in for hours but this year I not been on it much a everything keep getting push back or fix thing which was not broken. We use to alway do powerplay but not done it in long time
Yea ED seems to be dying now which is a shame

Caporegime
Jumped in for the first time in about a month last night, i need some advanced materials to engineer the FSD on my Anaconda so i though i would go look for them, i was out in a Krait, spotted a "light conflict zone" i have engineered shields and weapons on it, i though i would have some "fun" you know that thing you do to brighten your day?????????

All NPC's, it allowed me about 10 minutes of "Fun" before the game decided i had enough "fun" and the NPC's ganked me, from 80% shield health to space dust in about 12 seconds, why? why do that? this feels like vindictive coding. :mad:

I'm on the brink of unistalling it at this point.

Soldato
Jumped in for the first time in about a month last night, i need some advanced materials to engineer the FSD on my Anaconda so i though i would go look for them, i was out in a Krait, spotted a "light conflict zone" i have engineered shields and weapons on it, i though i would have some "fun" you know that thing you do to brighten your day?????????

All NPC's, it allowed me about 10 minutes of "Fun" before the game decided i had enough "fun" and the NPC's ganked me, from 80% shield health to space dust in about 12 seconds, why? why do that? this feels like vindictive coding. :mad:

I'm on the brink of unistalling it at this point.

I backed Elite Ponderous from early alpha and at first the combat was pure and simple: Surprise your opponet, outfly your opponent, not get hit and hit hard when you get the chance. It felt like it was down to skill and you could even take out a Python in a Cobra MkIII by using hit and run tactics.

Then ED started adding in more and more grindy crap I don't recall anyone asking for. Engineers just ruined the combat for me because I absolutely detest excessive grind to win. Shield boosts and engineer powerups etc just absolutely ruined combat even against the NPC.

So the last time I loaded this piece of crap onto my PC I headed to a combat zone and got ganked in seconds by a Viper MkIII. My weapons barely even dented his shields. I know people say get a bigger ship or upgrade using Engineers but when I tried that RNG nonsense I literally had a sore head with hours of boredom. There is also the problem I am not remotely interested in medium or larger ships from a gameplay perspective. This games does not cater AT ALL for people who are happy to fly in solo using a small ship like a Cobra MK III and who have no interest in grinding for RNG upgrades.

Years ago the devs decided grind = gameplay = fun and that everyone's sole aim was to get bigger and bigger ships.

I still have the ED beta backer pack with all the crap I will never care about. I also have the free DLC but just don't give a crap.

IMHO Elite Ponderous failed to reach even 5% of the promises FD made.

Last edited:
Associate
I must admit that FD seem to enjoy putting stuff into the game that no one asked for and ignoring requests. That being said I havnt seen anything in SC that makes me think of playing that. I only do VR and I will be dead before that happens in SC even though Mr Roberts said it would be added.

Soldato
Despite running out to Beagle Point several times over the last two or three years, I find ED very low on the list of priorities to reinstall after my Windows Reset a few weeks ago wiped out my Steam folder.

I enjoyed the exploration element though at times it just got tedious and grindy spending an evening trying to progress 8K LY or thereabouts. Combat I found challenging in SP mode and I agree FDev seem to have beefed up the AI so it behaves more like a PvP ganker rather than give a sporting chance. I'm more likely to reinstall my Egosoft games at this point.

Caporegime
I backed ED from early alpha and at first the combat was pure and simple: Surprise your opponet, outfly your opponent, not get hit and hit hard when you get the chance. It felt like it was down to skill and you could even take out a Python in a Cobra MkIII by using hit and run tactics.

Then ED started adding in more and ore crap I don't recall anyone asking for. Engineers just ruined the combat for me because I absolutely detest excessive grind to win. Shield boosts and engineer powerups etc just absolutely ruined combat even against the NPC.

So the last time I loaded this piece of crap onto my PC I headed to a combat zone and got ganked in seconds by a Viper MkIII. My weapons barely even dented his shields. I know people say get a bigger ship or upgrade using Engineers but when I tried that RNG nonsense I literally had a sore head with hours of boredom. There is also the problem I am not interested in anything of the medium or larger ships.

Years ago the devs decided grind = gameplay = fun and that everyone's sole aim was to get bigger and bigger ships. This games does not cater AT ALL for people who are happy to fly around in solo against NPCs in a small ship like a Cobra MK III and who have no interest in grinding for upgrades.

I still have the ED beta backer pack with all the crap I will never care about.

I haven't been playing it long, but i enjoyed it when it was just Horizons, up to a point, because its effectively a solo play game, as in instancing with one or a couple of others and becoming a disembodied camera attached to their ship really is not MP game play no matter how much you close your eyes and try to believe in it.
So once you got a few hours in the game play loops most of it just becomes rinse and repeat.
That's not a fault in the game, most games end up being that eventually, once you have enough hours in them.

There was a hope that Odyssey was going to be something more, i'm not intelligent enough to explain it properly but you feel a little trapped in Horizons, you're trapped in your ship, you're trapped on the rails that its gameplay loops take you down, even the super cruse element of ED just gived it that feeling of it being on rails and of course you can't just drop out and go land on any random planet you see on your way past without changing rail track or if at all because not everything is there to be landed on. and if you mate is over there you can't just plunk your ship next to his get out and say hello, or just walk on to his ship with him, get in his turret...
Its a great game but it all feels a bit rigid and lonely.
So space legs was one critical element to give you more freedom, ship interiors and EVA were the other elements to make it a much more open world game, i've said it before and i'll say it again, its ship interiors, EVA, space legs is why Star Citizen is still going as a perpetual broken alpha, its not because it looks amazing its because its true open world.
Odyssey comes out, no ship interiors, no EVA, nothing at all to open it up, basically Horizons with legs, Braben says none of that its all boring. sigh

As if that was not enough to ruin it they turn everything people hated the most about Horizons to 11, so you want to do this or that?.... no you can't first you have to do this, over and over again, and once you've spent 40 hours in a ground hog nightmare we are going to spring another level of repetitive grind on you, only then can you do what you wanted to do a couple of months ago, and everything that you want to do we will make you jump though our agonising grind hoops first.

I'm going to say the reason i was ganked by the NPC's as i was just looking for a bit of fun is because something in the level of my account told the code i was not supposed to be there, i don't know, maybe i was not supposed to be earning this much combat XP at this point?

Katie, quite a well known name in ED, she moved to SC after EDO, she explained why in the clear and balanced way only she can, i posted it on the ED forums pleading for FDev to listen to it, it took less than an hour and the video was yeeted right out my post by the mods.

And this is it.... time stamped URL, just click and play.

https://youtu.be/90MWpcb7Wpg?t=4414

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll be amazed if we see any more development for elite other than enough fixes to Odyssey to call it a delivered working product for legal purposes, I could be very wrong on that but it'll depend entirely on the income from ARX sales I have no doubt. FD have done so much damage to their reputation it'll take years to make any kind of recovery from it, the decline has been happening for years and they've been utterly arrogant in attitude to their player base and continue to be so now even after all the promises of better communications.

Soldato
What they need to do is ditch developing for consoles and concentrate 100% of their time on fixing the bugs in the PC version and then get rid of the ******* horrendous grind - all of it.

Soldato
The grind wouldn't be half the issue it is if you could do it via any activity (I'm not dismissing it as an issue!), but forcing players to perform particular activities to enable others is just dumb, Thargoid content is the classic example, good luck getting anywhere in that without spending an inordinate amount of time grinding other activities, play your own way my ass.

Soldato
The grind wouldn't be half the issue it is if you could do it via any activity (I'm not dismissing it as an issue!), but forcing players to perform particular activities to enable others is just dumb, Thargoid content is the classic example, good luck getting anywhere in that without spending an inordinate amount of time grinding other activities, play your own way my ass.

This.

Also getting rid of the consoles is not ever going to happen. As PCMR we have to accept that developing on one platform is just not a thing anymore. Devs need to diversify especially after the last 12 months in PC gaming.
Oddysey is a folly and brings zero to the game with the biggest tell that all is not well in Elite world is no newsletter last week.
And yes looking at steam charts, there has been a marked decline in player number since oddysey launched.

Soldato
What they need to do is ditch developing for consoles and concentrate 100% of their time on fixing the bugs in the PC version and then get rid of the ******* horrendous grind - all of it.
several times over the years i've seen games suffer because they've tried to make it for PC and consoles, and thereby locked themselves to the lowest common denominator, as it were. SC had the right approach i felt, make it for the PC, thereby making it tailor-made and optimised. if you want a console version, you need a separate team to take that code and optimise it for consoles as a separate project. trying to make a game fit both is always going to be a losing proposition, in my mind.

Soldato
several times over the years i've seen games suffer because they've tried to make it for PC and consoles, and thereby locked themselves to the lowest common denominator, as it were.

Go try and tell that to the console fans especially the ps5 ones.

i made a specific thread saying how it was a bad idea for basically all ps5 games to just be glorfied PS4 ports....

even the new god of war and horizon zero dawn and GT7 is going to be on PS4

Soldato
This is where SC will shine.

You are able to make money doing lots of different things

Soldato
This is where SC will shine.

You are able to make money doing lots of different things
Credit balancing is the very least of the issues, it's more why players are forced to do things like mining or guardian structure grinding when all they want to do is shoot thargoids, there needs to be the ability to progress down a path by playing said path.

Caporegime
Credit balancing is the very least of the issues, it's more why players are forced to do things like mining or guardian structure grinding when all they want to do is shoot thargoids, there needs to be the ability to progress down a path by playing said path.

Right, what an original idea that is, rank up by playing the game loop, it gets progressively more difficult as you rank up.

I also get what @jonneymendoza is saying, in SC there are no go fetch / go grind game loops, you earn in game currency for doing whatever it is you chose to do and if you find that you need bigger guns / shield on your ship or FPS weapons you go to a shop and you buy them with the in game currency, earn your money playing space DPD or bounty hunting, it doesn't matter, a shield is just a shield, a gun is just a gun, some go pew pew, others go BRRRRRRRRRD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom