*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Associate
Yeh, I used to think it was okay but have definitely changed my mind on it, apologies if it was me white knighting :D

CQC/Arena is again a solid base let down by a lack of development, why they made it stand alone instead of integrating it into the game is likely another decision based on trying to get the PvP/King of the Hill crowd in I suspect. It's actually great fun if you can get a game that isn't stupidly unbalanced.

I just think they should have used those resources to fix and develop the main game. Stuff like arena to me comes "after" the game is fixed and full of the features that were promised.

Soldato
I think Frontier have engineered themselves into a rock and a hard-place with Odyssey..

They obviously had the time and money to fund the development of it, I just don't see how they could ever imagine that they could pull it off - to me it proves they don't understand their player base, the idea of it is totally flawed.

I imagine that ED is making practically no money at all these days, and so they essentially have to balance fixing stuff for the existing players, whilst trying to develop new content, to draw more players in so they can make some money, all of this with hardly any devs on what is an old game now... It doesn't look good.

Frontier come across as being quite pretentious, they're failing pretty hard - yet from listening to them talk and reading the stuff they put out, they don't seem to understand the situation and that things are collapsing around them (just look at the steam stats).

Soldato
I think Frve engineered themselves into a rock and a hard-place with Odyssey..

They obviously had the time and money to fund the development of it, I just don't see how they could ever imagine that they could pull it off - to me it proves they don't understand their player base, the idea of it is totally flawed.

I imagine that ED is making practically no money at all these days, and so they essentially have to balance fixing stuff for the existing players, whilst trying to develop new content, to draw more players in so they can make some money, all of this with hardly any devs on what is an old game now... It doesn't look good.

Frontier come across as being quite pretentious, they're failing pretty hard - yet from listening to them talk and reading the stuff they put out, they don't seem to understand the situation and that things are collapsing around them (just look at the steam stats).

Why would FD change a winning formula? They didn't listen to the beta backers in 2013 prior to initial release and pushed out a game with almost none of the promised content. They didn't listen to their customers after release back in 2014 and kept adding pointless grind as gameplay. Look at the powerplay release, then the engineers release. Here we are almost 7 years later and they still aren't listening and gave us Odyssey. Despite all this the money rolled in, so why change now?

Soldato
I think Frontier have engineered themselves into a rock and a hard-place with Odyssey..

Elite is not their bread and butter product anymore. If you think about it, ED provides them with very little return. Also, they gave the game away last year on PC, so it is evident that is not where their money is coming from.

Planet (insert a title) is though.

However, they seem to be doing well so far this year....

Sew3jtH.jpg

Soldato
Because I was specifically discussing elite maybe, the clue was in the part of my comment you chose to delete from the quote.
But into that you then brought other FPS games and peoples' behaviour as measures and comparisons, which is why I cited several specific examples for a more detailed comparison.
It's still within the context of Elite, but serves as a model by which to measure and predict ED player reactions. Even the "classic line" would only valid as classic because of what has happened in other games, so you'd have to examine those to see why.

If for some reason you want to make it purely about Elite and look at nothing else outside of that, then my point still stands as ED has been "unfinished, unpolished and broken content" ever since Engineers, yet plenty of people did (and still do) carry on playing it.

Soldato
planet what>?

Their other titles. Which include paid DLC's and subsequently all the money.

Planet Zoo, which released in November 2019, has achieved record performance on PC in its first 15 months, surpassing 1.5 million base game units sold. Paid content packs including the Arctic, South America, Australia, and Aquatic packs have proved to be popular, as expected

Planet Coaster: Console Edition released successfully in November 2020 on all current and next generation PlayStation and Xbox consoles following its success on PC for over 4 years, pushing total sales across all platforms above 3 million base game units

Jurassic World Evolution expanded onto the Nintendo Switch in November 2020, which has helped to move total sales above the 4 million threshold for base game units sold across all platforms

Finally ED

Elite Dangerous has also passed 4 million base game units sold having achieved new all-time active player number records several times this financial year, with total base game owners now at 12 million following the Epic Games Store ‘Free Week’ in November 2020. The PC release of a major new era, Elite Dangerous: Odyssey, is scheduled to land before the end of the current financial year with console releases coming later in calendar 2021

Yes that's right, they gave away via epic 8 million copies.................... for free.
However, I am sure Epic paid them very well for that.

Soldato
But into that you then brought other FPS games and peoples' behaviour as measures and comparisons, which is why I cited several specific examples for a more detailed comparison.
It's still within the context of Elite, but serves as a model by which to measure and predict ED player reactions. Even the "classic line" would only valid as classic because of what has happened in other games, so you'd have to examine those to see why.

No, the comment around 'if people play it it will be developed further' is of direct relevance to elite, it was literally something (or something extremely similar) FD stated, the part about other games was a comparison to the fps aspect, maybe I could have been clearer sure, but you took my comments out of the intended context, that's the end of it.

If for some reason you want to make it purely about Elite and look at nothing else outside of that, then my point still stands as ED has been "unfinished, unpolished and broken content" ever since Engineers, yet plenty of people did (and still do) carry on playing it.

And yes, of course people still played and play elite, the whole game isn't nor has it ever been completely broken, just aspects of it. Quit trying to twist my comments into something they are not.

Soldato
No, the comment around 'if people play it it will be developed further' is of direct relevance to elite, it was literally something (or something extremely similar) FD stated, the part about other games was a comparison to the fps aspect, maybe I could have been clearer sure, but you took my comments out of the intended context, that's the end of it.
Of relevance yes, but far from being unique to it. That frequent use with other games is what makes it a 'classic', which is only substantiated if you include those games within your context.
So too with 'what people tend to do', as you need their behaviour with other broken games to assert whether they will do this with broken Elite, or if their tendencies are only with Elite.
You may have only been looking at Elite, but your context references and is dependent upon factors that are much wider.

However, in either case and context, they still do play broken content.

Associate

"unfinished, unpolished and broken content" ever since powerplay in my opinion with arena a close second.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Powerplay what a utter load of Tosh that turned out to be. More grind for a pointless upgrade, god it was so bad i even forgot it existed.

Nope the only way to save ED is to take it off line and let the modding community put it back where it should be.

Soldato
Nope the only way to save ED is to take it off line and let the modding community put it back where it should be.

I think it's the only way it would ever work.

Only trouble is, I think Frontier have their heads so far up their arse too much to ever care, or ever admit that they got it so badly wrong.

Associate
Powerplay what a utter load of Tosh that turned out to be. More grind for a pointless upgrade, god it was so bad i even forgot it existed.

They would need to refund everyone for Odyssey before they do that. Otherwise they will get slated given people have bought the (broken) game at full price and not have it fixed.

Soldato
Of relevance yes, but far from being unique to it. That frequent use with other games is what makes it a 'classic', which is only substantiated if you include those games within your context.
So too with 'what people tend to do', as you need their behaviour with other broken games to assert whether they will do this with broken Elite, or if their tendencies are only with Elite.
You may have only been looking at Elite, but your context references and is dependent upon factors that are much wider.

However, in either case and context, they still do play broken content.

You really can't cope with me telling you what I was intending with my comments can you?

Caporegime
FDev have put FSR in to EDO as a way to bring performance up.

For those who don't know FSR is an AMD technology that's basically DLSS, its not 100% as good as DLSS 2.0 but very good in its own right and unlike DLSS its very easy to integrate in to games, one developer commented it took him 2 hours to get it in his game, and FSR doesn't care of your GPU is an AMD one or an Nvidia one or how old it is, as long as its a Maxwell / Polaris GPU or newer (Nvidia 900 series / AMD 500 Series)

In the link below i have a couple of comparison slider images.

Below that i are the raw images so you can compare the FPS difference

Settings are 1440P with all the graphics quality setting at their highest.

Ryzen 5800X / RTX 2070 Super.

FSR off vs FSR Ultra Quality. use the slider to to slide across the two sides.

https://imgsli.com/NjM1NzA

The lighting is not the same in the two images, because the light changes every few seconds and its impossible to change the FSR settings in the menu before the lighting change cycles.

There is a small image quality degradation, but in return you get an extra 58% in FPS.

SlDRJMj.png

5v1R9j6.png

Last edited:
Soldato
"unfinished, unpolished and broken content" ever since powerplay in my opinion with arena a close second.
I didn't mind that, as it was entirely optional.
For me, it started failing when Engineers became necessary.

You really can't cope with me telling you what I was intending with my comments can you?
Intent doesn't even enter into it. I was responding to what you actually wrote.

Soldato
I didn't mind that, as it was entirely optional.
For me, it started failing when Engineers became necessary.
I gave up my Elite combat rank when they "rebalanced" the combat after engineers. All the wanted/pirates I encountered were elite with fully engineered weapons. Haz res were almost impossible and it ruined it for me. Whilst I know that the community don't like Pew Pew pilots, it was stupid. Just because of a rank, after spending tens of hours engineering my ship, I could suddenly come across multiple enemies with as good if not better engineered ships. It was a joke. Of course, the community were "Git Gud" and "It's called Elite Dangerous for a reason" No.

Back
Top Bottom