**** The Official Google Nexus 6P Thread ****

Soldato
Doesn't matter. In the UK the retailer must handle everything.

Even if that means they have to send it off to the manufacturer themselves.

I always thought it was better to buy from CPW given that they are based in the UK, rather than Ireland.

Google always replaced mine ... As in send me a new one and send your old one back. Cpw noooo chnace

Man of Honour
My only worry is if my handset breaks after a couple of months and is unbootable, then whatever is on the storage is gone, whereas currently I don't have that worry as the mSD card stores everything.

This means I will need to weekly backup to PC as opposed to every few months for the phone. Much needed faff.

Soldato
Obviously i don't know what you store on your phone but music / photos is all automatically backed up anyway along with all settings. What would you potentially lose?

Man of Honour
All media (music, camera recordings, photos etc).

I do not use cloud services, as I often require full access to my media where there isn't speedy or reliable online connectivity. Plus I much prefer local storage and manually backing up as a matter of principle and keeping control in my hands.

Soldato
Given how flakey micro sd cards you're more likely to have the card fail than a handset I'd have thought. Surely you use google photos to back up pics and videos? Not suggesting it should be the only place to store photos but its a great safety net.

Soldato
Yep everything I have on my phone backs up. Music pics and settings. If I lost or broke my phone I would lose nothing. SD cards are handy but really not needed anymore unless you spend a lot of time in areas with no signal and want to watch a shed load of blueray rips

Soldato
...I do not use cloud services...

So... you're actually complaining about your own preferences, not the lack of MicroSD card?
Ha ha ha. Quality.

Its a good point tbh, I've a few friends who are like that, they completely miss the point of cloud services.
With the mechanisms that Google has in place on Android for auto-backup of music, video, photo, contacts, calendar, ect; to do otherwise is silly.
Set it to WiFi only/with charging, and it'll do it automatically every night. No faff, no effort. And importantly, no loss of data.
Its really not a case of "losing control". Its fear of the unknown, fear of losing something unknown. And its really not the case anymore.
My friends say "i understand cloud, but i just don't trust it for reason X", but at the end of the day, it is just fear.

Its kinda at the point now with 5.1 (and when dev's get around to implementing in their apps on 6.0) that you can realistically see your phone blown up by dynamite and at worst you'll lose anything you didn't have the last time you plugged it in to charge.
True device agnosticism.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
All media (music, camera recordings, photos etc).

I do not use cloud services, as I often require full access to my media where there isn't speedy or reliable online connectivity. Plus I much prefer local storage and manually backing up as a matter of principle and keeping control in my hands.

I have a Synology NAS with a "Phone" folder that gets synchronised with my phone to back everything up automatically whenever I am connected to WiFi with a cable plugged in.

Your previous SD card solution doesn't help if you lose your phone or the SD card gets damaged/corrupted without some form of external backup anyway.

Man of Honour
Some of you have completely missed my point. I'm not complaining, I'm just making a remark on something I'll now need to do a little differently.

Cloud service do not work for me, I have 70GB of music and half that in other media so local storage is a must as I need access to it wherever and simply don't want to back up to the cloud as I prefer synchronising to my local backup store when I run my regular backups anyway.

Don
I'm starting to get quite excited about getting this phone. After my Note 4 started working properly after the 5.1.1 update I figured I might actually cancel my N6P order but the more I read the more excited about it I'm getting.

Soldato
Some of you have completely missed my point. I'm not complaining, I'm just making a remark on something I'll now need to do a little differently.

Cloud service do not work for me, I have 70GB of music and half that in other media so local storage is a must as I need access to it wherever and simply don't want to back up to the cloud as I prefer synchronising to my local backup store when I run my regular backups anyway.

I think it's the perfect opportunity to do things differently as you say, I switched all my music to Google Play a few years ago and it's been brilliant for me. Likewise, Google Photos is much better now you can access the pictures from drive and they sync back to the PC.

So for me it works great at the moment, but everyone is different so it's just a matter of playing around with different services/methods.

Soldato
I think it's the perfect opportunity to do things differently as you say, I switched all my music to Google Play a few years ago and it's been brilliant for me. Likewise, Google Photos is much better now you can access the pictures from drive and they sync back to the PC.

So for me it works great at the moment, but everyone is different so it's just a matter of playing around with different services/methods.
I'd agree with this 100%.

I used to have a home server that stored all my music, photos, ect;
Switched over and tested different services and settled into using Google Photos and PlayMusic, and its much more convenient without tethering me to "relying" on specific restrictive methods such as having to be at home to get my data, or having to faff with remote access. :)

Soldato
Wow. Got lucky. I wanted to pay using a different card so cancelled and re-ordered a couple of days ago.

Btw - is there any pouch case out for this yet? I dislike cases on the phones whilst using them, but would like a pouch type one for whilst in my pocket etc.

Get something that will fit a iPhone 6+ as the dimensions are virtually the same.

Man of Honour
Are you approaching retirement age? :D

That is hideous! Why would you put something so beautiful inside something so nasty?!

Problem I have with Google Music is that it doesn't support standard star ratings. My entire library is rated and it took me long enough to find GoneMAD Music Player which also supports it, so now I have custom filters set up to play songs around the library that are only rated 5 star, 4 star, 3 and above etc.

It's the same way I have MusicBee set up on the PC.

I know scrobbling to LastFM works as I only have to install the LastFM app to scrobble via Google music on both the car stereo and the phone or Firefox extension, but without ratings support and advanced library controls that separate software seems to have, it's no use to me.

Shame because Google music in the car would be great and convenient as it gets 3G/4G from the phone anyway so always has data in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom