**** The Official Google Nexus 6P Thread ****

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I've never known anyone that's into customisation and modding as much as yourself who has never had a Nexus device.

Up until this 6P, no Nexus has been able to cater to my needs. Storage being the biggest item on the requirements list (cloud storage is useless before anyone mentions that). 128GB changes all that now, and an all metal slim frame with a large ass battery to boot.

Other than that, all my Samsung phones were running custom ROMs so I had my stock Android fix for years anyway. It just so happens the Xperias are close to stock and already contain many of the features I used on custom ROMs so have had no need to dabble with those things any more as everything is there out the box. Just ihstall Nova Launcher, and jobs a good'n.

What are the odds of having a user-replaceable battery with an all aluminium body?

After 3-4 years the battery will be dead.

Why would this be important? After that length of time the phone will be considered a dinosaur and not worth much anyway. Most enthisaliasts will have changed handset 1 or 2 times over after that period.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah because that's such a common occurrence:here :p

I have no doubt they will have a battery swap service at cost, but its not a huge issue in the grand scheme of things.

Besides, amoled screen burn will sooner set in than battery life degrade to a level that causes concern.

Last edited:
Soldato
6P turns out to be not that bad. if all is good (bat, screen etc) I can live with the periscope and larger size.

the only question is the price. hoping for 320ish for 64GB.

Realistically I can't see it being that cheap, that's £100 less than the current version.

Soldato
6 now retails for 270 (on offer), also launch pricing of 6 was a fiasco.

but yes, I'm probably overly optimistic.

Yeah sorry I realise you can pick it up cheap at the moment, but direct from Google the 64GB is £419, so I figured that's the RRP price ignoring special offers. So I'm guessing around that price, maybe a bit more. Obviously great if you're right. :)

Soldato
OP

I have no doubt they will have a battery swap service at cost, but its not a huge issue in the grand scheme of things.

Besides, amoled screen burn will sooner set in than battery life degrade to a level that causes concern.

Since when has an enthusiast automatically meant no one to hand a phone down to?

£30 would be reasonable for such a service.

And my S3 is yonks old and still used as my mp3 player. No screen burn in sight. AFAIK battery degradation sets in after, 500 full cycles. So give or take approx 2 years.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I guess we're both using examples of our own usage here, which isn't representative of the general population. I know of no one who has handed their 3 year old phone to someone else, In fact I don't know of anyone with a phone older than 24 months.

I still don't agree that this is an issue though and that opinion won't really change.

Edit*
And there is screen burn on both amoled and LCD, you'll see it on a handset that has several hours screen on time a day, mostly on a completely white background under where consistent icons and UI elements rest. All of my AMOLED screens have had it to some degree, the Note 3 being the least noticeable. It's just one of those expected things.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've got a 3 year old Nexus 4 and will keep it for another year if I'm not happy with the N5X :p

Like the look of this device more than the N5X but it's too damn big again. Same components with a smaller screen would've been ideal :(

Man of Honour
Why would this be important? After that length of time the phone will be considered a dinosaur and not worth much anyway. Most enthisaliasts will have changed handset 1 or 2 times over after that period.

Because I don't need to upgrade every time a new model comes out. You know we all have different requirements right?

The already poor battery on my launch Nexus 5 is dying and it would easily last me another year if I manage to replace the battery. Then the 6p will be a year old and I'll upgrade to that for pennies.

Soldato

It is a common thing. Many people here past there old devices to there otter half's or brothers etc

Caporegime
AMOLED?!

Sign me up! :p

Hopefully the LG will also be AMOLED but unlikely.....

Pretty sure either this or the 5X will be my next phone now, as nice as the other phones are, the custom skins, slow/no guaranteed updates are seriously off-putting. I have a feeling the 6p will just be a touch too big for my liking though.

Soldato
I guess we're both using examples of our own usage here, which isn't representative of the general population. I know of no one who has handed their 3 year old phone to someone else, In fact I don't know of anyone with a phone older than 24 months.

I am currently using a 36/7 month old Galaxy Note 2 (GT-N7105), and I know that there are still iPhone 4/4S in use in my friends house.

You are a serial upgrader, and I think you;d be surprised how many people keep their phones longer than 24 months, who aren't in the group of people you know. :)

I will however be getting the lovely 6P if the price is right for 64/128GB. :D

Soldato
I am currently using a 36/7 month old Galaxy Note 2 (GT-N7105), and I know that there are still iPhone 4/4S in use in my friends house.

You are a serial upgrader, and I think you;d be surprised how many people keep their phones longer than 24 months, who aren't in the group of people you know. :)

I will however be getting the lovely 6P if the price is right for 64/128GB. :D

My sister is still using my old iPhone 4S, and I'm still using my almost 3 year old Nexus 4. I used to change yearly but doesn't seem much point these days.

Having said that, I don't care about non-removable batteries, the one in my Nexus 4 is still doing okay (well, obviously it wasn't ever amazing, but doesn't seem to have degraded much)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The Mate S is amoled, im sure this will be too. They have gone all out with this.

It is :p

The 6P dimensions are confirmed now anyway, width is less than the current Nexus 6, it's also nearly 3mm thinner. So given the screen size to bezel ratio, it should feel nicer in the hand than a Nexus 6.

I think the periscope may lend itself as a secondary function when the phone is placed on a table too, the screen will be slightly angled toward you, aiding viewing. The downside being that when viewing a video in landscape, the screen will be angled to the right :/

Soldato
My sister is still using my old iPhone 4S, and I'm still using my almost 3 year old Nexus 4. I used to change yearly but doesn't seem much point these days.

Having said that, I don't care about non-removable batteries, the one in my Nexus 4 is still doing okay (well, obviously it wasn't ever amazing, but doesn't seem to have degraded much)

The Nexus 4 battery is easy to change if you wanted.

The back comes off easy, it is mainly held on by the 2 screws at the bottom of your phone.

Back
Top Bottom