**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
No, I didn't say it was second hand, did I? Maybe re-read my sentence.

Obviously GS 8 bezels and front facing stereo speakers won't be possible yet but like I said anything is better than the current pixel's bezels....

Fair enough, I thought it was real slim bezels you were after.

**EDIT** for the record, I quite like the Pixels bezels as they are. I prefer knowing I can grab it there and not interfere with the screen.

Soldato
Nexus 6:

jRBkSAH.jpg

Obviously GS 8 bezels and front facing stereo speakers won't be possible yet but like I said anything is better than the current pixel's bezels....
Three years later and the Nexus 6 still has the best design of any smartphone imo... Shame the thing was so unwieldy!

Caporegime
No, I didn't say it was second hand, did I? Maybe re-read my sentence.

Fair enough, I thought it was real slim bezels you were after.

**EDIT** for the record, I quite like the Pixels bezels as they are. I prefer knowing I can grab it there and not interfere with the screen.

Slim bezels ala GS 8 would be great but it isn't "needed" and you're right, there is a point where too thin is a bad thing in some ways but it does look really good.

I would be happy with either GS 8 bezels and a single good speaker on the back/bottom or slightly bigger bezels and front facing stereo speakers. I just hate that huge chin on the pixel, so much wasted space, if they had placed a really good front facing speaker there, it would have at least been well used space.

Three years later and the Nexus 6 still has the best design of any smartphone imo... Shame the thing was so unwieldy!

Yup, ridiculous size!

6P is still my favorite for design so far.

Permabanned
OP
I have a couple more thought for the Nexus 2 wish-list:

More Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality built-in to the new smartphone. I may be one generation of Pixel too early (Pixel 3) but I can hope!

At I/O Google showcased the next generation of Daydream VR (the first generation was really an extension of Google Cardboard which I still enjoy using as it is compatible with any recent phone). The new generation of Daydream is a standalone device with no smartphone required. That is a big step up from the Samsung Gear VR. I really see Google wanting to dominate the world of VR and AR.

So now with the next Daydream you can share VR footage with friends, connect with others in apps like YouTube, and easily check notifications.

And the new Asus ZenPhone AR which is coming next month is a Tango phone that can operate as an AR phone as well as a VR phone (inserted into the current Daydream VR headset).

This is what I am really watching: HTC and Lenovo are coming out soon with the first standalone Daydream headsets (no phone required), powered with Qualcomm silicon. They will of course run all the Daydream VR apps currently available (more than 150) and will also have built-in "World-Sense" cameras that allow some room-tracking and movement. Again, these are stand-alone and not tethered to any other device like a smartphone or PC. The apps are likely to grow quickly beyond games, tours, wildlife, films, sport, etc.

So I believe Daydream and Tango will become a feature of future Pixel smartphones in that they will be VR and AR ready out of the box. Perhaps the next one, but almost certainly for the Pixel 3.

Anyone else excited about VR and AR on their phone? I believe the applications will be amazing and with Google's AI/deep-learning emphasis, I see a lot of growth ahead in new ideas on smartphones.

Associate
the pixel was such a disaster device for me due to the shoddy pixel launcher ruining stock andriod, terrible build quality, terrible design, no sd card slot, no waterproofing and overpriced to ludicrous levels.

the pixel 2 has to really pull something out of the bag to be more than boring

Permabanned
OP
Thinking some more on this holiday weekend about the next Pixel smartphone and considering the leap forward that Google achieved in displaying the next gen Daydream VR headset last week at I/O, I can't help but thinking that the Pixel 2 may well be offered in combination with the new standalone Daydream. Daydream 3 will not require a phone (like previous Daydream/Samsung/etc headsets) or PC (like the expensive Oculus Rift) and requires no cables. You are free to roam and getting into VR is as easy as picking up the headset and slipping it on, as the YouTube video describes.

One of the complaints I had with Daydream to date has been the weight of the device when it is strapped to my head. I felt that this limits the amount of time I can spend wearing the device. It is just too damn heavy. And the World Sense positioning tracker would seem to add to the experience.

As mentioned, I believe that Google will offer the Daydream 3 in some form of combo package with the Pixel 2. Anyone else interested in VR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvyMoKI9zfg

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
The Pixel and Pixel XL have OLED display screen, but not of the flexible/bendable variety. This could change by next year at the latest and perhaps this year if Google can secure a steady supply. One of the biggest frustrations with the Pixels was Google's inability to supply them in sufficient numbers to meet the huge demand. Many have posted here about the long lead times needed to obtain a Pixel. The inability to source OLED display screens was a major reason for the delays. Supplies were tight in 2016/2017 and continue to be.

About a fortnight ago, rumours were circulating that Google was prepared to make a 1 Trillion Korean Won (£ 750 million) investment in LG Display of South Korea, to assist them in making more OLED capacity to help meet Google's future Pixel needs. If true, Google would be in a better position to secure steady supplies. Already the Galaxy S8 uses Samsung Display OLED screens to make the left and right sides of the display flexible. I expect Apple iPhones in future to have flexible OLED screens. OLED screens are notoriously difficult to manufacture. If Google's investment in LG Display's expansion is true, it would represent about 25% of the total cost of LG Display's new plant.

I expect flexible screens with extremely thin bezels to feature prominently in future Pixels.

Permabanned
OP
Latest leaks on the Pixel 2 from Android Authority include:

1. They are hearing Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL and the Pixel 2 XXL.
2. Pixel 2 XL screen size 5.6 inch display with an 18:9 aspect ratio, like on the LG G6. LG rumoured to be manufacturing the Pixel 2's.
3. A curved panel
4. Snapdragon 835 (or possibly the 836 chip set) supported by 4GB RAM and 128 GB storage.

https://androidcommunity.com/google-pixel-2-leak-spills-a-lot-of-important-details-20170611/

Back
Top Bottom