**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

^ that doesn't look bad to you? are you nuts? for me it looks awful when i squint my eyes, rub acid in them and look through a brick wall to view the image. it's terrible as the colours are way off and it looks blurry. 0/10 for me. screen is pants at a ridiculous angle. refunding my XL black now! no thankyou google

:p

V_R

V_R

Soldato
:D

In all seriousness though, I wonder if it might be some sort of 'panel lottery' - kind of like we had with the N6P when it was first released. (If you don't remember there were some that had some dodgy screens, they were uneven, some had a pink tint some didn't etc. I myself had to send the first one I got back)

I've seen a good few video's and images in reviews, on forums and Reddit etc and some look fine and others do indeed look a bit of a washed out grainy mess....

As I said I shall be waiting until I get my own 2XL in about a month (15-17th Nov says Google) before I start ranting about it.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine is here!!!!!!! Black regular Pixel 2

Any questions?

How the camera for photo and video. Can it replace a daily point and shoot? Currently got a RX100 but really want to have something on me to create small family shorts with a gimbal and Manfrotto Pixi so setup is small and nimble.

How's the smaller screen and enjoying the small size?

Soldato
^ that doesn't look bad to you? are you nuts? for me it looks awful when i squint my eyes, rub acid in them and look through a brick wall to view the image. it's terrible as the colours are way off and it looks blurry. 0/10 for me. screen is pants at a ridiculous angle. refunding my XL black now! no thankyou google

:p

Majorly triggered until “when I squint my eyes”

In all seriousness, I checked out the XL 2 in my local EE store today, and here are my initial views:

Screen is lovely. Accurate and detailed. And the curvature of the glass on the sides isn’t over the screen, so it means you get the nicer feel in the hand like on the S8, but without accidental touches.

Talking about how it feels, the coating on the device reminds me of the G5, in that it doesn’t have the cold feel and texture of metal, but doesn’t feel cheap like the G5 did. It’s actually really grippy, and hides fingerprints really well.

Honestly, it’s the nicest feeling phone I’ve held for a long long time. Not too heavy, but felt solid, and pleasantly grippy without it feeling like sandpaper (Cough OnePlus cough).

And the bezels? I liked them. It meant you get a nice smooth swipe in from left and right, but avoids accidental touches. And, I didn’t even notice them.

In all, I’m really excited to receive mine. EVEN IF ITS GOING TO TAKE A MONTH :(

Edit: I am worried about screen protectors for it though.

Permabanned
OP
Another hardware feature I think we might see soon is a larger screen on pocket sized devices. As you know, there are a number of devices that are dual screen but I have not been a big fan of these so far. I appreciate that Google Apps can tell when the second screen is active and run in tablet mode across the two screens but I find that because of the bezels, the black line running in the middle of the two devices is very distracting.

I see in future a single screen that can unfold or unroll into a large rigid display that is as good as a tablet. While it has been tried before I am optimistic it can be it resolved in the near future.

Thinking some more about future hardware improvements that AndyCR15 mentioned some posts back, I was also reminded about the well-placed fingerprint sensor on the rear of the Pixel 2 XL (as it was on the Pixel XL) and what "improvements" were achieved by Vivo earlier this year with an under-display fingerprint scanner (many thought Apple would also introduce a similar idea). This post is from June 2017 and it seems that Qualcomm is making advances with its "SenseID" solution.

Having the fingerprint sensor on the front of the device will spare me from having to open the phone sitting on my desk by having to pick it up. Google has great supporting software to help with this because Android's "smart lock" feature allows me to set the phone to automatically unlock by location or paired Bluetooth devices. That means I never have the phone ask for a lock screen challenge in safe, familiar places, like on my desk.

Under-screen scanner.......Convenient and desirable to others too?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/28/vivo-qualcomm-under-display-fingerprint-reader/

Soldato
If someone told you it was a Pixel 1st Gen... could you tell without looking at the settings menu?

*edit because that sounds sarcastic reading it back now*

What's the main physical difference?

The wedge shape is gone, which is good. From the front it has the bottom speaker so you can tell it's a 2. The metal has been coated with anti slip material so it feels better than the 1 IMO, although if you like the feel of aluminium then you might prefer the 1.

From the software front it's not that obvious really if you install the new launcher on the Pixel then you wouldn't notice the difference in day to day use.

Are the bezels massive or are they silky?

Coming from a silky iPhone they are of course massive... in all seriousness they are the same size so it's no problem for me really. I never had a problem with my iPhone bezels either.

Soldato
Looking forward to this....

Your XL 2 review was spot on and very watchable and informative.

Thanks, I really appreciate the comments.

Looks like I'm going to change my plans as somehow I waffled on for about 18 minutes for the unboxing. Maybe it will edit down a little, but it will likely be around 15 minutes at least. So, I'll do that and then a mini review in an hour or so before handing it back over around 9pm.

I might get the unboxing edited tonight, otherwise first thing in the morning. The mini review, almost definitely will be tomorrow morning.

Have to say, wow. Love it and I'm not a smaller phone fan. As has been mentioned, the texture on the back is somehow rough, but not grating, just grippy. Feels amazing in the hand. I don't notice the bezels myself, great little device.

Soldato
Update... front facing speakers but they are still pretty gash :(

Nowhere near as good as the old HTC ones on the M7 I had (although this was a while ago, maybe it's selective memory!?)

Soldato
Loud but the quality and clarity of sound is definitely lacking.

I don't have any pro kit to record this but just playing the same song side by side with the iPhone the iPhone sounds nicer IMO and isn't that much quieter either

Soldato

From the software front it's not that obvious really if you install the new launcher on the Pixel then you wouldn't notice the difference in day to day use.

Yes the Pixel 2 software on the Pixel 1 is really nice however I noticed that the APK I used for the launcher doesn't include the 'dark theme' feature which I think is pretty cool. Has anyone else managed to get it?

Back
Top Bottom