1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by sesevans, 22 May 2017.

1. breeza

Gangster

Checked a 2XL out today. Preorder cancelled. Nuff said.
    :(

2. Dangerous

Capodecina

With all these cancellations I might get move sooner :D Though think I was very early with the pre-order :p

3. AndyCr15

Capodecina

I'm reasonably happy with the unboxing.

Not sure about the mini review, we'll see what I can do in the edit tomorrow. Really don't like doing the review only a few hours after unboxing!

4. V_R

Sgarrista

The display, its all about the display right now. I'd like to see some more pics of the screen from a side on angle (blue tint) close up (the grain) low brightness on a grey background (the uniformity).

I'm intending to go into CPW when I can that may be tomorrow or the weekend too so it would be interesting to see if its a random thing or if all units are affected. :)

Pro tip: Nova Launcher.

5. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

What launcher is that?

6. GMac11

Wise Guy

I don't know, I have the original Pixel and I think the search bar at the bottom is a godsend. Too many times I've been left clambering for that 'pill' in the top left corner.

The more I read the more I think I am better off sticking with my XL and waiting out this flagship storm (from a hardware pov)

7. Ravster

Hitman

8. chanjy

Mobster

9. chanjy

Mobster

Low light, no flash - the lack of noise in this photo is incredible!

[​IMG]

10. GeX

Soldato

Argh the bezels though!

Bit of getting used to I think, speakers are good though.

11. Defiant306

Wise Guy

I was playing with a iP7 this week which is pretty much the same hardware wise and it just feels like quality, when I have it in my hands I feel like its very well built. I grant you the design also has its issues, bezels being one. I've had a pixel in my hands before and I wasn't as impressed with the quality and the design was lack lustre compared to the iP7, I think Samsung's design looks like its in the right direction but no stereo speakers is deal breaker for me.

12. Azza

Caporegime

That's a great picture.

Portrait photos of your pet is the future.

13. Azza

Caporegime

14. chanjy

Mobster

Quick portrait mode test this morning on my way out of the house

[​IMG]

15. TheOracle

Capodecina

^ This is another one of my annoyances with the new pixels. Portrait mode is terrible.
    Pains me that they didn't include a second camera. The edges of the car are blurry.

16. uvarvu

Mobster

It's the stock launcher. The wallpaper is also stock and it's called "Your world, Solar System". You can find it under Live Earth in your wallpaper settings.

17. sesevans

Perma Banned

So its "all about the display right now."

Yesterday I mentioned after reading the reviews and comments around the web that this issue is the classic "mountain out of a molehill". CNET this morning backs my view.

A couple of observations from reading their post after they studied the issue closely with actual screen comparisons:

1. You would have to be a pixel nerd to observe any issues here except maybe in the "night mode" situation.

2. It may be that the initial batch of pre-release phones have an issue that will quickly be corrected with further runs by LG. The LG V30, which uses pOLED, did not have the issue. The cite as an example of this with an earlier iPhone.

Much ado about nothing.

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/pixel-2-xl-p-oled-screen-issue/

18. AndyCr15

Capodecina

Yes, because the edge is further away, that's what portrait mode is about. You could argue it's a bad example of where to use portrait more as it's on an object that is gradually getting further away, so the focus will gradually get more blurry, so no, there shouldn't be a sharp edge to the light. If you took that photo with a really good DSLR lens with a low f stop, that's what it would look like.

I don't know why you think they need a second lens. Others use a second lens to get two slightly different angles on a picture. They can then calculate the distance from each part of the shot by comparing the two photo's. Google does this too, it just built that slightly different angle into each pixel as it has two pixels... per pixel... in each Pixel lens. This means they've been able to do it in the front facing camera, so I'm happy they've done it this way.

I just posted a load of my own Pixel 2 photos here.

[​IMG]

I don't see how that can be any better...

19. doodah

Capodecina

And that's with the front facing camera? Can't argue with that, looks great.

20. TheOracle

Capodecina

^ Now that is impressive!

I mean the photo effect, not you lol