**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

V_R

V_R

Soldato
So its "all about the display right now."

Yesterday I mentioned after reading the reviews and comments around the web that this issue is the classic "mountain out of a molehill". CNET this morning backs my view.

A couple of observations from reading their post after they studied the issue closely with actual screen comparisons:

1. You would have to be a pixel nerd to observe any issues here except maybe in the "night mode" situation.

2. It may be that the initial batch of pre-release phones have an issue that will quickly be corrected with further runs by LG. The LG V30, which uses pOLED, did not have the issue. The cite as an example of this with an earlier iPhone.

Much ado about nothing.

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/pixel-2-xl-p-oled-screen-issue/

Yes, yes it is. Its a £800 or £900 device. So yeah, the screen has to be very good, Google.

As I've said in this thread, it looks to be some kind of screen lotto at the moment as some 2XL's look way better than others. Or possibly the first batch were just crap.

But you cant't deny this looks ******* awful.
https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/10/google-pixel-2-xl-review/2/#h3

Like I said, I'll see what my own device looks like when I take delivery of it

I'm popping into town this afternoon so if I can get get time I'll be going into CPW or the EE sop to have a look myself.

Caporegime
I had the S8 for a couple of weeks and I thought '******** I can't reach the top of the screen' way more than 'I wish the bezels were smaller'.

Yup I know what you mean, personally for myself, the galaxy s8 is the absolute max I can go for screen size and not only that but I find myself wishing for a slightly larger screen than my current 5x 5.2" screen so the pixel 2 would be downsizing ever so slightly.

And still, the other main issue I have with the pixel 2 is the price.....

- no wireless charging
- same screen as last years and still 1920x1080 (I don't care about the res. especially at 5" but its the principle of it, you are paying big money for something that is the exact same as last years model and considered pretty "low end" these days)
- very dated design imo

Should be £500 tops.

Also, any word on the battery for these devices i.e. the galaxy s8 battery lasting for a lot longer than usual. This is my biggest annoyance with phones, after 1 or 1 and 1/2 years, the battery goes to ****.

Soldato
Yes, yes it is. Its a £800 or £900 device. So yeah, the screen has to be very good, Google.

As I've said in this thread, it looks to be some kind of screen lotto at the moment as some 2XL's look way better than others. Or possibly the first batch were just crap.

I'm popping into town this afternoon so if I can get get time I'll be going into CPW or the EE sop to have a look myself.

The comparison phone, pixel 2, looks like the screen is pinky purple and not grey, so personally I think that looks worse than a slightly dirty screen

I had the S8 for a couple of weeks and I thought '******** I can't reach the top of the screen' way more than 'I wish the bezels were smaller'.

Pretty much sums up the argument

Associate

seems to be the same issue that the same screen used in the lg v30 suffers..

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/16/16457544/lg-v30-review-design

Associate
For the first time in ages it looks like I am going to skip the release of a new google phone. To many issues and nothing really stands out bar the camera on the new XL 2.

So going to stick with my current Pixel XL for another year. Still a very solid phone!

Soldato
Well it's the curved screen, side bezels and poled which annoys me the most about the xl2. None of which is present on the smaller one (I mean it's basically the same as last years).

Just sitting in the maccy d's at Tottenham Court and nipped to the CPW nextdoor. Had a look at the XL 2 (which I can't find back home in NI for love nor money, just happen to be over for the footers). It's nice and I really like the feel of the coating on the back. The screen isn't actually curved a la the Samsung phones, it's more a raised screen almost, you don't seem to get the same vignetting as you do on the sammys.

My main take away from it though is I don't think it's worth £800. If I was spending that amount of money I'd buy a Note 8 all day long despite my dislike for Samsung's UI.

I think I'll keep my XL and see what rolls round on the Black Friday/Xmas/new year sales.

Associate
I don't get everyone's obsession with Bezels. It's a cracking phone that has an excellent screen and camera(s). A bit of bezel is so 1st world problems, seriously

I think it's more bezel less phones give you a lot more screen real estate for the same size body, one of my reasons for moving from Apple was I felt a bit robbed paying £800 for a LCD 5.5 screen in a body that massive, it didn't feel like a upgrade from the 6+ I had (Obviously speed,camera etc are all upgrades, but you do spend all your time interacting with the screen, it's a pretty important part of a smart phone!) and ended up with S8+ which gives a 6.2 inch screen in basically the same body size for a lot less money.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I don't get everyone's obsession with Bezels. It's a cracking phone that has an excellent screen and camera(s). A bit of bezel is so 1st world problems, seriously

They do look a bit odd on the non XL, I'd have been happy to drop the speakers and have smaller bezels.

Also, wrt FWP - yes - so what, you can spend £600+ on a phone and be entitled to moan about it

Caporegime
I think it's more bezel less phones give you a lot more screen real estate for the same size body, one of my reasons for moving from Apple was I felt a bit robbed paying £800 for a LCD 5.5 screen in a body that massive, it didn't feel like a upgrade from the 6+ I had (Obviously speed,camera etc are all upgrades, but you do spend all your time interacting with the screen, it's a pretty important part of a smart phone!) and ended up with S8+ which gives a 6.2 inch screen in basically the same body size for a lot less money.

This.

And also because:

- it looks extremely dated now
- small bezels with front facing stereo speakers has been done before i.e. nexus 6 so no reason why it can't be done again, especially when the front facing speakers don't seem to be that "good" from what I've read, or at least mixed opinions on them anyway.......

Soldato
- it looks extremely dated now

I would say this is still subjective. In fact, I can understand that a lot of new devices are coming out with much smaller bezels, but I would say extremely dated is a bit much. They're still the same size as the iPhone 8 surely? I would guess that's this years top selling phone (or will be) so surely the design isn't 'extremely' dated?

I don't see the point of going bezel-less just because you can. Edge to edge for many is rather annoying.

Associate
Has anyone had any luck finding decent screen protectors for the Pixel 2?

Ordered some of the JD ones, but they're horrendous. Almost like a tempered protector, doesn't stick at the edges either!

Associate
What cases did you guys end up getting for the normal pixel 2? I've not seen many out yet and one kickstand model spigen on rainforest. XL 2 cases I've seen loads.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No, I don't have AOD enabled and when I picked the phone up the screen lit up and displayed the now playing song.

Sweet - thanks.

Trying to find where XDA ripped it from the Pixel 2 for other Androids, though remember seeing the 'notes' previously mentioned in this thread about how well these rips work :p.

Soldato
I would say this is still subjective. In fact, I can understand that a lot of new devices are coming out with much smaller bezels, but I would say extremely dated is a bit much. They're still the same size as the iPhone 8 surely? I would guess that's this years top selling phone (or will be) so surely the design isn't 'extremely' dated?

I don't see the point of going bezel-less just because you can. Edge to edge for many is rather annoying.

the iPhone 8 is an iteration of a design that's years old. It does, somewhat suddenly, feel outdated next to the rise of of these huge screen to body ratio phones. I dont disagree though, edge to edge screens have their drawbacks but phones don't need to be edge to edge and it's not really the side bezels that are the issue, its the top and bottom bezels - they are just huge on the pixel2/ip8 next to the likes of the 2XL or any other device with a 18:9 screen.

Back
Top Bottom