**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Permabanned
With more than 4,000 posts and 200 thread pages on the Official Google Pixel 2 thread and with Google I/O 2018 a mere three weeks away and with rumours starting to mount about what Google plans for it Pixel 3 line of smartphones, believe it time to start speculating on what we want/expect Google to introduce.

I found this link to Tom's Guide a couple of days ago to be a useful starting point:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pixel-3-rumors,news-26647.html

A few highlights:

1. Google acquired the 2,000 strong HTC smartphone hardware team early this year and it is expected that this team, which brought out the HTC U11 while at HTC, will have significant hardware input in the Pixel 3 lineup. Will Google widen distribution and compete more aggressively against Apple and Samsung?

2. We could see certain iPhone features: Android P supports an iPhone X-like notch and may support iPhone like gestures.

3. A lower cost Pixel 3 is rumoured for emerging economies like India but may well be sold through budget carriers in other jurisdictions too.

4. Three new Pixel 3 devices are rumoured. The devices, which were discovered in a source-code leak last year, are code-named "crosshatch," "albacore" and "blueline."

5. The Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL were launched on 19 October, just after the iPhone 8's in September. Will Google keep this schedule or move it up to an earlier date?

6. What changes will Google make to areas such as face scanning, edge to edge screens, camera performance, speakers, etc? Expect the Snapdragon 845 chip.

What would you like to see changed, modified, improved, etc?

Soldato
Yay another 'official' thread for a phone that doesn't officially exist.

And sesevans, I'm pretty sure Google could squeeze out the biggest, most over priced turd of a phone and you would buy it because it had a big G on it.

Permabanned
OP
Really don't see the point in this thread right now.

To reflect what the Community here thinks would be desirable in the Pixel 3 range based on our shared experiences of the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. If history is any guide, I expect a lot of hard info about Android P and the Pixel 3s to emerge from Google I/O that takes place in a fortnight.

Soldato
The Pixel 2 has been a complete disappointment so let's hope Google have learned lessons. I started with a Pixel 1 and would have moved to Pixel 2 XL if the handset wasn't such a flop, instead I bought a Pixel XL as it was at a brilliant reduced price at CPW.

I'm ready for an upgrade and would love it to be a Pixel 3 but I'm not sure I have confidence in them to get it right as they have struggled to improve on past failings.

I've currently got my eye on a P20 Pro and trying hard to resist.

Associate
The Pixel 2 has been a complete disappointment so let's hope Google have learned lessons. I started with a Pixel 1 and would have moved to Pixel 2 XL if the handset wasn't such a flop, instead I bought a Pixel XL as it was at a brilliant reduced price at CPW.

I'm ready for an upgrade and would love it to be a Pixel 3 but I'm not sure I have confidence in them to get it right as they have struggled to improve on past failings.

I've currently got my eye on a P20 Pro and trying hard to resist.

I don't think it's that bad.

OK the screen isn't the best on the market, but it's still pretty good & the audio out the usb port is only average. No phone is perfect.

Other than those two failings the phone is very good.

Definitely not a fail.

Soldato
I don't think it's that bad.

OK the screen isn't the best on the market, but it's still pretty good & the audio out the usb port is only average. No phone is perfect.

Other than those two failings the phone is very good.

Definitely not a fail.

The Bluetooth issues and the abysmal video quality have endured since Pixel 1. If Google want to align themselves with the likes of Apple and Samsung then they need to up their game not just their prices tags.

The screen isn't a minor issue, it's the biggest interaction between device and user. Also, the Pixel has issues picking up WiFi even when it's a known saved network.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I appreciate I have been in the minority on this issue but I enjoy my Pixel Buds and use them constantly. Music and podcasts are enjoyable throughout the day when walking around, in between meetings, etc. I still believe the language translation feature of the Pixel Buds and the Google Translate app make the Pixel Buds unique.

I would not be surprised however if Google, reportedly making three versions of the Pixel 3, up their game on the Pixel Buds this year with noise cancellation, skippable tracks and a slightly smaller design all features. In the same way that they included a free Google Home Mini with this years purchase of the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, might a Pixel Buds 2 be a free giveaway with this years high end Pixel 3?

And as String suggests above, I see changes to the screen design too.

Soldato
The Bluetooth issues and the abysmal video quality have endured since Pixel 1. If Google want to align themselves with the likes of Apple and Samsung then they need to up their game not just their prices tags.

The screen isn't a minor issue, it's the biggest interaction between device and user. Also, the Pixel has issues picking up WiFi even when it's a known saved network.
I've really enjoyed using my Pixel 2, I don't have issues with the bluetooth either and the screen issue isn't present on the non-XL as far as I'm aware. There is a lot to love about the phone(s) and to say they've been a complete disappointment is very unfair.

Soldato
If they do a better job on hardware this year I will be pleased.

I'm enjoying my Pixel 2 XL but the rattling speaker, subpar screen and unreliable headphone adaptor are annoying. Of course, I could have sent it back after I got it but it's the best option for me right now. So I just put up with it. But I really do wonder if anyone from Google tested it properly before it got released. Quality control is lacking for a phone of this price, and if Google is serious about smartphones (the same question we ask every year) they need to step it up a bit. Or use HTC this year instead of LG...

Last edited:
Soldato
On the audio side of things the issue is more due to the USB adapter they're using, it's a pretty poor DAC so doesn't really offer much. Seen a few people try out alternatives (eg Razer's) and found it to be more reliable and better sounding as well.

Hopefully Google will go for something better for the Pixel 3. Maybe even USB-C audio pass-through so you can use passive adapters and a better DAC can be kept in the phone.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I need 256GB storage and wireless charging to be added before I consider a Pixel device.

At this stage I'm looking more and more at the OnePLus 6 or HTC U12 this time round as a desirable upgrade from the S8+ I currently have.

Back
Top Bottom