****The Official Gravel Bike Gallery Thread****

Caporegime
@Begbie they are and had me sold :p

Just not sure on their longevity and what happens if they go EOL a d you need to swap them out

May also be some sour grapes as Canyon wouldn't take my money :D

E: @explicit4u - they were terrible, over a week to reply to emails and then not answering the question. Live chat hardly ever live / working and then terrible responses again not answering questions. Biggest eye opener was their attitude when I wanted to cancel my order it was like they were expecting it and couldn't give a ****

Yeah, I was worried a bit. But seen as how many have sold, and now the e-grail. I'm sure I'll be fine.

Anyone reccomend tyres? Got G-One Bite which are actually awesome, but I've burnt through a rear (skids, aren't just for kids!). So not sure if to just go for the same again, which work well both on and off road or to try thing something a bit longer lasting.

dod

dod

Soldato
couldn't get what I was wanting so ended up picking up a second hand boardman adv 8.9, 3-4 months old, totally unmarked at half new price :) First outing last night, track shown is okay but got very rocky later with sections relaid with scree which were very slippy. Not sure about the tyres, schwalbe G1 which look like they'll be fine in the dry, not so sure about the wet. Not checked the pressure in them either but feel a bit too firm for the tracks round here.

boardman.jpg

Soldato
So after having a Cycle2Work voucher since May, I've finally managed to buy a bike, after umming and arghing over a number of bikes and then finding they aren't in stock anywhere anyway.

I originally got a Pinnacle Arkose 4 in 2015 and it was great, but tubeless was new then and offroad it was a bit pants, although it served me well in CX for a year. So after battering my Canyon Inflite up on the South Downs all summer just about squeezing some 38mm wide tyres on it and also the need/want for a bike that can take proper mudguards. So I can do some proper road riding in the summer without being miserable and having cold/wet feet constantly I went back down the gravel bike route and I finally settled on the recently released Boardman ADV 9.0. Glad I waited it is very nice, although I'm not sure on the colour as yet, but the little paint detail is quite cool on the forks and rear triangle.

Set it up for now for the Road as Festive500 starts tomorrow, and need to put some mudguards on it but I ran out of time tonight, so will have to be a bit miserable, but looking forward to riding it. I only ordered it late on Sunday and it was due to be built on 3rd January, so top marks to Halfords, and they appear to have built it correctly too! Had truned up just in time as I found my Cannondale Winter bike has snapped where it was previously repaired, so will need another fix at some point, although I'm going to sell it on so will probably break for parts then sell the frame separately.

rzWTgoL.jpg

Ec5dP5n.jpg

zXY5LXv.jpg

Soldato
First ride this morning, and have now swapped the stem out for a aslightly longer 100mm and few adjustments to saddle and stem spacers, but was a good first go, will get it out in the mud in the new year, but certainly rides well over the rough roads I was on this morning.

Anyone on here got any mudguards they use on their bike, was looking at the Flinger 45 or the SKS Commuter for something that is best of both worlds and means I don't have to take them off everytime I go off road.

Soldato
Headed out on the Boardman for the first time properly today, bloody good ride I must say off road, very firm and stable, felt at times even slightly more comfortable to ride quickly on the descents than my Canyon Inflite.

Thnk this was about as clean as it was, properly muddy out there today, WTB Nanos had no grip on the slick grass.

ahPcvJR.jpg

Soldato
It is fantastic if I'm honest, bit more portly than my canyons but ride is great and just as compliant, only I'm not keen on is the seat stay triangle, but its proper beefy, presume to cope with racks etc.

I've put the vitoria gravel air liners in those tyres and hoping to be able to run lower pressures on the bigger tyres without them going too squidgy (20psi or less) was at 22/23 the other day which was good but definitely needed to go lower in the current conditions. I've barely ridden the mtb this past year with the cx bike so good for conditions round here.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like a great set up and good if you can get those low pressures - i run both my wheelsets tubeless so can go low but haven't been sub 25ish (yet) may need to if the slop continues to hang about .... :D

Soldato
I've managed about 18 on the narrower Challenge Limus in wet conditions and about 20 on the Vittoria Terreno Mix when the ground has some slip to it, but not too muddy earlier in the CX season, but for the big tyres if it's too dry and grippy it burps and also find they're too squidgy with not enough sidewall strength so doesn't give you confidence in the corners. Hoping the liners solve both those issues. Nothing compared to the pressures you can run on proper tubulars!

Back
Top Bottom