***The Official Guitar Thread***

Caporegime
Christ, that is an expensive pedal! I think out of reach to be honest. I'm in no rush, the HOF2 works, but am aware it's spring is pretty rubbish.

I think it depends how much you want to spend. Personally for headphone output, I wouldn't be looking at a standard amp with a headphone out, it'll be mono, limited to the inbuilt effects and pretty fatiguing after a while. You may want to look at modellers. I hear really good things about the Kemper and Helix (Stomp, perhaps?) for headphone use.

what’s your most expensive pedal?

I think the BigSky is probably the most I’ve ever spent on a pedal, it’s good though and it does all the reverbs you can think of but in a way it’s also very very “tweak non-stop” kind of pedal, so you end up spending ages tweaking instead of playing which is why I got the Staegazer.

Associate
Seconded.

Guitars also don't lose value so its not like you have to feel guilty for keeping it.

Unless you need the money now, in which case sell it and buy another one down the line when you can afford it again. :)

True, they're actually seeming to sell second hand now for more than I paid new in 2016. For some reason they seemed to be monumentally cheap that year at around £600 new. Still feels like a bargain getting a USA made Gibson at that price, but they had a far faster finishing process which seems to be the bulk of the cost. Satin stained finish, no binding either so no lengthy nitro curing processes. The pots are all on a PCB too, but I believe that's pretty standard on all the 'modern' Gibson models now?

Caporegime
True, they're actually seeming to sell second hand now for more than I paid new in 2016. For some reason they seemed to be monumentally cheap that year at around £600 new. Still feels like a bargain getting a USA made Gibson at that price, but they had a far faster finishing process which seems to be the bulk of the cost. Satin stained finish, no binding either so no lengthy nitro curing processes. The pots are all on a PCB too, but I believe that's pretty standard on all the 'modern' Gibson models now?

Keep the guitar, because you will never be able to buy the same one again for the price you paid. The prices in the past year has shot up noticeably.

Soldato
I'm torn, I'm half considering selling my Gibson LP Studio, purely because I rarely actually play guitar, so it seems a bit of a waste having it when a cheap strat/tele or something would probably suit me better. I also think I prefer the longer scale length, what with bass being my main pickup.

But then I plug it into an overdriven tube amp and the sound makes me happy :p
Keep it, you will only regret selling it at some point and they have gone up
Massively in price. I regret not buying one about 4 years ago!

Caporegime
Keep it, you will only regret selling it at some point and they have gone up
Massively in price. I regret not buying one about 4 years ago!

This is probably the cheapest one you will get but it's a tribute so no maple cap. It's more like a LP Special with a carve.

https://reverb.com/item/34245503-gibson-les-paul-faded-t-2018

But this one...has all the ingredients, except the binding? Although in the US so shipping and VAT on top.

https://reverb.com/item/13887563-gibson-les-paul-tribute-satin-faded-honeyburst-w-soft-case

Last edited:
Associate
http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Faded.aspx

So this is the one, along with the Gibson spec sheet from their site. It's one of them, it sounds glorious and I get that it's top value. The issue is I've always found 25.5" scale guitars a bit more comfortable, perhaps due to 34" bass being my most played instrument, I dunno. And I really don't have the space in my apartment for more instruments :p

Caporegime
http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Faded.aspx

So this is the one, along with the Gibson spec sheet from their site. It's one of them, it sounds glorious and I get that it's top value. The issue is I've always found 25.5" scale guitars a bit more comfortable, perhaps due to 34" bass being my most played instrument, I dunno. And I really don't have the space in my apartment for more instruments :p

Get a wall hanger and problem solved.

Soldato
Thinking of a headphone with aux amp as I think my previous amp+pedals have disappeared from the house.. Not really wanting a mac or iPhone app based system as things quickly end up superceeded due to the OS/interface.

Thinking of a headphone mixer then using a orange terror mini amp or a stamp. Thinking of the valve hybrid so it has the oomph to drive the 55ohm headphones.
The physical interface unit can be used without a pc. You only need that for recording and playback of recorded tracks. Mine does anyway. I can listen to the live signal via the interface alone.

An amp sim/cab-sim pedal would give you a nice sounding output and most have headphones I think. eg the torpedo cab sim? I think that has a headphone, and decent sounding output.

Soldato
what’s your most expensive pedal?

I think the BigSky is probably the most I’ve ever spent on a pedal, it’s good though and it does all the reverbs you can think of but in a way it’s also very very “tweak non-stop” kind of pedal, so you end up spending ages tweaking instead of playing which is why I got the Staegazer.

I usually buy 2nd hand to keep costs down. I don't have anything too crazy. Just can't justify it. Plus I like seeing what budget pedals can be made to do. No point buying ferraris if you're only good enough to drive a fiesta anyway.

Soldato
Totally understand, I just wish I had your self control lol

I have what I'd call my core tone. I put money into that: so a decent compressor-limiter (just bought 2nd hand) , a couple of delays (still hunting for the right tap-tempo one. Ironically the one I'm happiest with so far is just £22 for the set-and-forget (no TT) option), reverb and cab sim for direct feed into PA, warm OD, compressor-sustainer, chorus, tremolo and tuner. (obv not all in that order)

for a mini-gig I can travel with tuner, delay, reverb and cab-sim+mini DI. It's a great budget travel board. Boss TU3, Donner Yellow Fall, Mooer Shimverb, Donner Incredible V or Greenland (depending on the song list), Mooer Micro DI. Even on a mini board I have enough room to chuck on a compressor (take your pick to suit your budget and taste) and OD (eg Mooer green mile mini) if needed. I can add a wah to the side if required for some funk. For people on a budget I'd say start with that and nail that line up before branching out. It gets you to a lot of places.

Man of Honour
Soldato
I already have the tab- the youtube guy does arrangements for classical guitar and they're excellent but tricky, lovely chord voicings.

It's going to take a while for this one- first bash through was mighty annoying from around bar 13. Can see it taking a while to get from played to sounding good.

Soldato
Funnily enough I've seen 1000s of cover bands and the only other two songs are Hammer To Fall and Now I'm Here.
When I watch Queen tributes I'm jealous at how much work they put in, there again I am with most tributes.
I've seen Another One Bites the Dust a few times. I'm surprised there aren't more attempts at we are the champions as it's not as hard as some of their other stuff, but then I guess you 1) need to be a bit arrogant to play it (unless your team's just won the league I suppose) and 2) you'd better nail it. Unlike this band someone posted in another thread (not queen admittedly but wtf????)

Back
Top Bottom