***The Official Home Recording Studio Thread***

Soldato
So I’ve finally decided to try and record some half decent versions of some songs I’ve written (no more iPhone in the bathroom jobs). Now I just need a cheap but reasonable home studio!

I’ve lined up a second hand focusrite scarlet solo 2nd gen for a price that probably means I can sell if for a profit if I want something else once I’ve gotten my eye in!

Now I’m looking for a microphone to record acoustic guitars and vocals and I’ve been drawn to the AKG P120 it seems to get good reviews and even if I buy a new one I can sell it on for a tiny loss. Then I need some headphones and a quick look around seems to suggest a pair of Sony MDR 7506 as a good starting point and second hand they are good value and could again be easily sold on.

Throw in a cheap mic stand pop shield and xlr cable and I’m good to go hardware wise, I think!

Software wise there seems to be too many options! Which is the beat of the free DAW packages for an absolute beginner who only plans tracking vocal and a couple of guitars?

I’d appreciate any comments/tips!

Soldato
Not one I’d considered I will have a closer look as at first glance it appears something that could definitely grow with me if I get into this.

Still finalising my hardware interface arrives Wednesday so seeing what I can pick up for sensible prices around that. My singing and guitar playing certainly isn’t going to bring the best out of the finest studio gear!

Soldato
Picked up the Scarlett solo today, feels like a nicely made piece of kit and the previous owner de-registered it meaning I get access to the full software bundle that it came with which was a surprise!

just need to sort some bits so I can actually record something lo

Soldato
Ableton Live is the best DAW for a beginner that goes from personal experience and also the experience of many many others online.

The interface is just so straight forward and helpful. I could never use anything else.

Commissario
Chaps I'm a bit out of the loop with gear unfortunately, could do with a pair of overhead mics for my drums just to help with rehearsals and doing some live recordings - any suggestions?

Soldato
Chaps I'm a bit out of the loop with gear unfortunately, could do with a pair of overhead mics for my drums just to help with rehearsals and doing some live recordings - any suggestions?
Rode m5's would be the classic answer for this need, I have no experience of such things but I've read way to much about recording lately!

Caporegime
I can't for the life of me see why FL gets any flack, I've been learning it for a couple of weeks now and it massively capable.

I know, everyone I know uses Cubase/Logic/Ableton and sneers at FL, but I have been playing around with FL since it was still Fruity Loops, and the current iterations are pretty great imo (and I find easier to use than the 'big' players)

Soldato
So I have added a microphone to my second hand studio on the cheap setup I picked up an unused boxed AKG p120 for £45 which is a great starter mic which provided I look after it I should never loose any money on! just need a decent pair of headphones to fall in my lap at a price I can't resist. They seem to be harder to come by for some reason!

Soldato
I've recorded a new cover (Dark Wing Duck) and I'm remixing all the old tracks ready to release as a (super short) ep. I'm excited. It's been ages since I've done any music production and now I have thunderbolt on my Windows PC it's been a dream.

Soldato
So my super basic starter home recording setup is complete and all in cost about £150 which I should be able to get back if I sold everything tomorrow, it was all second hand apart from the mic stand which was on a stupid Amazon special. It feels like a really good place to start with lots of options to upgrade/add stuff if I get into it, I went with:

Interface - Focusrite Scarlett Solo (Gen2)
Microphone - AKG P120
Headphones - Audio Technica M50
Mic Stand - InnoGear adjustable desktop kit

I'm using Cakewalk for a DAW as it seems pretty easy to get into yet has every option I'll ever need. The quality of this setup is out of this world a quick single take run through of a couple of songs and the difference to an iphone recording in the bathroom is mind blowing, just have to go easy on the sliders now and do lots and lots of research!

Back
Top Bottom